Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 10:20 PM

Default Meat Eater

Just been watching Season 5 of this program on Netflix, call Meat Eater. I'm generally not one for hunting/fishing shows since they often seen to hold values that differ from mine. This one is different. I recommend it.

Vic
Old 12-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Great show. I really like the concept and the host is pretty good. They also film a variety of hunts from all over the place.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 PM

I started watching it at my Dentist...don't watch netflix much, but they had it set up above me on the ceiling so I chose that show and have watched several now. I like that it teaches patience with hunting and covers a variety of things. Not hyped up...just down to earth show.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 PM

Its one of the only ones I can stand to watch, just need more seasons!

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A112 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2016, 10:56 PM

Check out the Meat Eater podcast as well.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 PM

great show, bought the guide to hunting and cooking wild game Vol.1 Highly recommend listening to the podcast as well. imo its the best hunting show I've ever seen.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:03 PM

It's a great show, I really like it.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 PM

Nice to see it catching on in Canada. Check out Steve Rinella's books also. A very good writer. I really enjoyed listening to the audio book about his Buffalo Hunt. The podcast is also really good.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Check out the Meat Eater podcast as well.
X2
Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

watsa podcast...space thingy thrown out of the mother ship while circuling "ur" anus?

Really enjoy the show.

Now back to the mother ship.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
watsa podcast...space thingy thrown out of the mother ship while circuling "ur" anus?

Really enjoy the show.

Now back to the mother ship.....
Ya, I need educating on this as well, what's a podcast?
Where do you find them?
Are they tricky to hunt?
Are they dangerous?

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-07-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:00 AM

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/

Plenty of good subjects and discussion. REAL talk, uncensored unfiltered.

Have been a fan since season 1, also just bought his Big Game book, for a seasoned hunter lots of the information you will probably already know, some good butchering tips and such. Some great recipes, i would recommend the meatloaf

His principals regarding hunting are likely very much on par with 95% of the folks here. If you grew up hunting with your grandfather/father or other mentor and still have a passion for just being out and LOVE to eat wild game, this show is for you.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:04 AM

Watch it every week on TV , good show , great host and very informative . Best episodes are where Joe Rogan is there .
Old 12-07-2016, 07:59 AM

I'm with all you guys on this one. I love this show. I love the fact he doesn't end up with a harvested animal at the end of every show. I love the fact that he doesn't just go for trophy animals. I love the fact that the show is dedicated to every part of the hunting process from the hunting prep to the plate.
This guy is a hunter that I think is a great role model for all hunters. He gets it.
He's not just some larger than life, over hyped trophy hunter.
Steven Rinella is legit!
I also agree that he is a very good writer. I bought the big game book as well. The meatballs are fantastic. And the sauce that he makes to go with them I have made numerous times for other game meals and it's awesome.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:16 AM

Agreed,

Meat Eater is good. Rinella is enjoyable as a host because he is smart, articulate, passionate and talks about hunting, conservation, food and related philosophies, not just inches of antler and who sponsored his long range rig. He is an advocate of public lands and good conservation policies that too many hunting hosts are too scared to address. His books are good too. He stands head and shoulders above most of the 'hunter celebrity' schlock.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Agreed,

Meat Eater is good. Rinella is enjoyable as a host because he is smart, articulate, passionate and talks about hunting, conservation, food and related philosophies, not just inches of antler and who sponsored his long range rig. He is an advocate of public lands and good conservation policies that too many hunting hosts are too scared to address. His books are good too. He stands head and shoulders above most of the 'hunter celebrity' schlock.
Yup he is definitely portraying the "real" hunting experience to the masses.

LC
Old 12-07-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Just been watching Season 5 of this program on Netflix, call Meat Eater. I'm generally not one for hunting/fishing shows since they often seen to hold values that differ from mine. This one is different. I recommend it.

Vic
x2, one of the very few hunting shows that actually captures what I feel hunting is all about. I especially identify with his constant effort to balance the trophy and meat hunting aspects, and his attempts to explain this in a way that anyone can understand. I actually know quite a few non-hunters that watch and enjoy this show, we need more TV hosts that can give us this kind of an image.

If I had one criticism, it is that I feel that his attempts to mentor anyone besides Joe Rogan often seem a little self centered and half assed, usually whoever else he has on the show with him manages to do a better job IMO.

I'm a big of his buddy with the gross pervert stache' too, that guy always manages to stay positive as heck no matter how bad it gets.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-07-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 AM

I used to watch this when it was on OLN, It's the best hunting show I've watched and like others have said, it's so much more "real world" than the other hunting shows. I like that he shares everything from the strategy for the hunt to the meat on the table, although i'm not sure i'm going to write down his coyote recipe!

Also if you guys haven't seen his book signing Q&A where a vegan fellow asks why he thinks it's "OK" to hunt, it's a very well spoken sensible answer to a sometimes awkward question we've all been asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2N0Utg7KYE
Old 12-07-2016, 11:47 AM

I'm brand new to all of this, just did the course and got my WIN# today, but I've really enjoyed the show on Netflix since I found out about it.

I like that he doesn't have a huge ego and likes learning. I just watched the two part episode where he goes to Alaska for Sooty Grouse --part 1 shows how hard it was for him not knowing that animal, tactics to hunt it, and so on, while part two he takes a female host hunter who shows him a thing or two. Even with his experience, he's willing to learn and be out there as a student. Great role model for a new hunter I think!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:49 AM

Great, just what I needed to discover during finals
Old 12-07-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
I'm brand new to all of this, just did the course and got my WIN# today, but I've really enjoyed the show on Netflix since I found out about it.

I like that he doesn't have a huge ego and likes learning. I just watched the two part episode where he goes to Alaska for Sooty Grouse --part 1 shows how hard it was for him not knowing that animal, tactics to hunt it, and so on, while part two he takes a female host hunter who shows him a thing or two. Even with his experience, he's willing to learn and be out there as a student. Great role model for a new hunter I think!
Yeah, that episode was one of my favorite. Showing him fail almost utterly at killing a friggin' grouse, then having a 40 something year old housewife packing a 10/22 show him how its done. I liked that he could probably have found some grizzled dude in a cowboy hat, or an ultra hardcore type guy to do that second show with, but instead picked a totally unlikely tutor and kept and kept it very real.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
Also if you guys haven't seen his book signing Q&A where a vegan fellow asks why he thinks it's "OK" to hunt, it's a very well spoken sensible answer to a sometimes awkward question we've all been asked.

This is my very first post here as I am just now getting into hunting and I've been watching Rinella's show on Netflix and believe he is just about the best embassador for hunting that exists today. The exchange in the youtube video quoted above is absolutely fantastic...when any of my friends ask me about my motivations for hunting I'll be using this as an example!

Cheers!
Old 12-07-2016, 02:50 PM

I began to dislike hunting shows, Used to be able to stomach a few select shows. Some of the Canadian shows and select few of the shows south of the border where ok but I quit watching them too. Just didn't like watching them anymore due to the same old thing. Good think you can flip the channel! Until meat eater caught my attention I have not watched a hunting show in a couple years. The hunting shows where predictable and done in poor taste. The crappy music that plays when the huge deer walks into view. Listening to how it was such a tough hunt and how hard they worked to get the animal grew old fast. The over reaction of the hunters after they killed something is just too much to take. Most hunting shows broadcast the killing of the animal to sell products. When I see a picture on the net of a guy holding a can of attractant or whatever while posing with the deer it makes me shake my head. I even noticed this seems to be the thing to do for some of the Canadian shows now and I don't like it. If that's your cup of tea that's fine but its not mine.

I really enjoy meat eater and think it is well done in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:18 PM

Default Over reaction

Fred Eichler is one of the worst for over reacting or over acting. Whooping and hollering over a little basket buck.....

Meat Eater on the other hand, is a great show. When I win the lottery, I'll invite that guy to hunt on my own tv show. He and I will have a good laugh over the spiker that I "had" to shoot this season to save from being skunked.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM

I'd far rather watch Rinella do his thing than probably 99% of the other product schlockers on tv who can hunt 24/7/365 for free in places most of us can only dream of. At least he eats some/all of what he shoots unlike the rest of them.

Hey Melissa B.? How can you eat all the meat you put down in a calendar year? Oh right. You can't. You're not even home to prepare it. Lets be honest. If you weren't female and one with large schmeebs nobody in the hunting fraternity would even know your name.

Best Rinella I've seen is when he gets charged by the wounded moose and takes a horn in the arse.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:37 PM

Yes good show.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've read the Meat Eater book and loved it. Can't wait to check out the show on Netflix!

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 07:02 PM

I've been watching it on my android box. I'm on season 3 now. Great show!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:14 PM

I really enjoy it as well! I wonder why Netflix doesn't have the other season though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 10:47 PM

Default Man crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
I used to watch this when it was on OLN, It's the best hunting show I've watched and like others have said, it's so much more "real world" than the other hunting shows. I like that he shares everything from the strategy for the hunt to the meat on the table, although i'm not sure i'm going to write down his coyote recipe!

That video right there is why I have a man crush on Steve rinnella. Thanks for the link, I have not seen it before.
Gifted writer, educated man and an ethical hunter. One of the early podcasts set the tone with an in depth discussion about race and racism. Steve, Joe and Bryan (I was surprised at how well read Bryan callen is) All of them quoting heady books I am not smart enough to read.