Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2016, 08:07 PM

Default Years Later.....What is the Prussian Carp Status?

So a few years ago I posted up here some videos I took of some Prussian Carp that I caught in the Bow River on three separate days (and I have caught many since):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIKkCrJ2v8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csf2HHFLEM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4wxGLraaJs

Has anyone else been seeing them in the numbers that I have?
Old 11-19-2016, 08:30 PM

Was on a lake duck hunting this year that I didn't even think could support fish. Was in the weeds and they were boiling all around me. Not as big as the ones you were catching, only about 2-3 inches in length.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:55 PM

i think they are here to stay. when i first heard about them i was so interested in them. one of my buddies spent some time with his buddies and figured them out fairly quick and i followed suit.
day 1

day 2

day 3

third trip average size

i kept the fish from the first trip and second trip to see what they are like for table fare, very tasty fish but boney as hell is an understatement. after trying to pick the tiny bones out i gave up and tossed them in the trash. the bigger ones in the 10" + are better as bones are easier to pick out. i want to continue fishing for them as they are fun and hit all day long and keeps you very busy but i don't want to keep anymore for table fare. until i can figure out a way to get rid of them (not waste them like tossing them in the bush or trash) i stopped fishing for them.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:01 PM

Default Lots and all over

These things are everywhere now in rivers, reservoirs, creeks and lakes all over central and southern province. I have seen and talked o many people that are out there targeting them and catching them by the bucket full. Many eastern European and people from Europe and Asia target these and is a great thing. Maybe take some pressure off other fish for keepers.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:15 PM

Every medium to large sized trout in Blood Indian has them in their stomachs. There are signs around the lake warning fisherman of the carp. I haven't seen one alive, but have counted many half digested ones.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:02 PM

really? i am very surprised that the trout can even eat them with the one barb on the dorsal fin. i've been spiked a few times handling them and didn't know they have them just like a catfish.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
really? i am very surprised that the trout can even eat them with the one barb on the dorsal fin. i've been spiked a few times handling them and didn't know they have them just like a catfish.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=239703

This was from a couple years ago, but it wasn't any different last year. I'll update again in a few weeks (hopefully).
Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 AM

They're big enough that they're being caught on worms in Blood Indian. Pulled a large one out of the RDR this summer.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:41 AM

yeah i hear ya my buddy pulled a 14" out of the same river and also we hit a small lake and pulled average 10-14" out almost every cast.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:47 AM

i want to continue fishing for them as they are fun and hit all day long and keeps you very busy but i don't want to keep anymore for table fare. until i can figure out a way to get rid of them (not waste them like tossing them in the bush or trash) i stopped fishing for them.[/QUOTE]

If you have a garden or know someone who does, bury the fish 6 - 8 inches down and they act like fertilizer. Early natives used to do this for their corn that they grew. Fish fertilizer is some of the best, touch smelly until in the ground.

Good place for all those carp.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 AM

now i wish i had a garden lol. a bunch of us wondered if places like the birds of prey type establishments would accept them for feed for the birds? the only thing is if they need to be decontaminated in case of biological infections/diseases and such.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Banned

What are the closest water-bodies to Edmonton where the carp can be found?
Old 11-20-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
i kept the fish from the first trip and second trip to see what they are like for table fare, very tasty fish but boney as hell is an understatement. after trying to pick the tiny bones out i gave up and tossed them in the trash. the bigger ones in the 10" + are better as bones are easier to pick out. i want to continue fishing for them as they are fun and hit all day long and keeps you very busy but i don't want to keep anymore for table fare. until i can figure out a way to get rid of them (not waste them like tossing them in the bush or trash) i stopped fishing for them.
Shouldn't be too hard to find some asian friends that will take them off your hands. Put a free listing on kijiji and I bet you would have a ton of interest lol.

Alternatively you could try canning them which should soften the bones to an edible state.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:37 PM

Has anyone tried or considered smoking them? If they have any oil in them they should smoke up as well as many other fish both fresh and salt water fish. I have wondered the same thing about the small Perch found in small lakes ?
Old 11-20-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2 View Post
Has anyone tried or considered smoking them? If they have any oil in them they should smoke up as well as many other fish both fresh and salt water fish. I have wondered the same thing about the small Perch found in small lakes ?
Others have said they fry up good but that bones are the issue. Smoking would probably turn out fine but does nothing to solve the bone issue.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Others have said they fry up good but that bones are the issue. Smoking would probably turn out fine but does nothing to solve the bone issue.
maybe pickling them is the best option to dissolve the bones
Old 11-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Banned

Default Every time I see one of those !

I see big pike .....big big pike !

Fillet them , bake them , pull as many bones as you can out of the
Cooked filet . Mix with mashed potatoes , garlic , onions , any herb you like
Then put them thru the grinder . Mix in fine bread crumbs , make patties
Fry , delicious .....works on white fish too.

Or the Asian way .....Hot wok ......scale .....in wok .....pull apart .
Cook whole enhances the flavour ....I had to agree ......
Old 11-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Banned

And they can be canned/pickled like herring or any other fish, and the many bones are not a problem !
Old 11-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
i think they are here to stay. when i first heard about them i was so interested in them. one of my buddies spent some time with his buddies and figured them out fairly quick and i followed suit.
day 1

day 2

day 3

third trip average size

What were you using for bait?

I think the boney issue could be addressed if they were cleaned and scaled . Smoked and then canned. Whitefish come out great like this.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-20-2016, 03:30 PM

we experimented with home made dough baits.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks I'm gonna try smoking and canning if I can catch some.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-20-2016, 05:01 PM

they fillet really nice and all but i even thought about also running them through a meat grinder but was not sure if the small bones will turn out into even smaller pieces of bone. i wish i had a smoker to try them smoked. one of these days i would like to take one boil it or find some way to remove the meat to get a good look at the entire bone skeleton structure to see if i can do almost like a boneless pike fillet type of deal on them.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:15 PM

they are definitely reproducing in the Rivers, saw walleye spitting out lots around 1 inch this fall

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-20-2016, 05:31 PM

There is a device called the Wunder Boner that might work well on these fish.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:46 PM

Default Wunder Boner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ79pCJBcJ8

Great if it works.......who woulda thought
Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM

the fish in the video looks very umm ...old and not fresh at all. after being in the freezer for a bit i noticed trout in particular have a tendency for the meat to separate from the bones so i can definitely see that thing working but not on fresh caught ones.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned

Wok and pig lard.

Pig fat really compliments the flavor and will cook most of tiny bones except spine and tops of rib bones.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
day 1

day 2

day 3

third trip average size

It is great to see and hear that other people are starting to clean up on the little suckers. I imagine that the 14 inchers that I was catching would be a lot easier to debone than smaller ones.

The way that I look at it, is that everyone should be doing everything in their power to catch and kill all the prussian carp that they can catch. They should be here and need to die. Even if you just bash them on the head, make sure they are dead and then throw them on shore, you are being a literal hero to the future of fishing here in Alberta.

Don't stop fishing for them just because they are a lot of work to debone. Catch them, kill them, and secure a brighter future for the future fisherman that come along.

I will continue to catch them and kill them. I will throw them on shore (away from where people normally go, so it doesn't make a foul odor for other people) and create food for skunks, raccoons, coyotes, magpies, and more creatures while saving the native fish.

Go kill em everyone!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 AM

Why not try making fish stock for chowder? You won't need to worry about the bones and it'll make a tasty soup! Just dress these suckers, throw in a large pot, and boil away with mirepoix, peppercorn, and bay leaf... 45-60 mins later, you have some wicked stock!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the11fisherman View Post
It is great to see and hear that other people are starting to clean up on the little suckers. I imagine that the 14 inchers that I was catching would be a lot easier to debone than smaller ones.

The way that I look at it, is that everyone should be doing everything in their power to catch and kill all the prussian carp that they can catch. They should be here and need to die. Even if you just bash them on the head, make sure they are dead and then throw them on shore, you are being a literal hero to the future of fishing here in Alberta.

Don't stop fishing for them just because they are a lot of work to debone. Catch them, kill them, and secure a brighter future for the future fisherman that come along.

I will continue to catch them and kill them. I will throw them on shore (away from where people normally go, so it doesn't make a foul odor for other people) and create food for skunks, raccoons, coyotes, magpies, and more creatures while saving the native fish.

Go kill em everyone!
1000x! Plus no secrets on carp spots lol