Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM

Default 3rd time is the charm!

Headed back last night for my 3rd trip to the Highwood. Got there and had about an hour and half of nothing...no rises, no signs of fish. I got so bad I had to switch back to the big ole stimulator and even that has the same reaction - nothing. About 2 hours in I'm thinking this trip is a dud. I'm also thinking maybe I'll stick to the Bow...
But that little voice in my head says go downstream...just to see. Always one more corner to check right?
Of course I had been heading upstream so going downstream meant walking all the way back, past where I started, and then continue on. But, I listened to the little voice. Good thing too because I round the first corner and....NIRVANA! Big pools falling into more pools and on and on. Not something I have found on the Highwood yet.

I toss a streamer and start stripping thinking to get a Bull but got this scrappy fella:

I then position myself at the bottom of a pool and I start seeing jumping fish! Woot! And I'm rewarded with this on the stimy:

Wait, wasn't I supposed to catch the Bulls on the streamer and the Bows/Cutts on the dry? Stupid fish

As it started getting a bit darker out I start seeing more fish staging at the end of the pool. At one point I could see easily 30 or so bull trout and would also see rockies, some smaller cutts and a nice dark back which I imagine was a bow - big too. Now I'm into senses overload with all fish. I came for the bulls so I focused on getting my line down and stripping and pausing. Caught 3 very nice bulls before the end of the evening. This one was the biggest and best fighter. Good thing I switched to the 7 wt because in the current this thing was a beast. I'm guessing 24 inches and close to 5 lbs but released quick and didn't bother other than a quick pic:

Shot from above of a previous release:

Got out of there and back to the vehicle around 10:30 p.m. Exhausted and grinning from ear to ear. Funny how the evening started and stayed on such a down note to totally turn around by going "one corner further...". Now I have a ton of new water to explore in this area alone and it all looks "fishy".
Old 06-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Lol. Awesome! Thanks for the story and the pics. I am bad for the "just one more corner" or "just 5 more casts". I think my wife has learned it just means that I am not ready to leave so still be patient.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:59 PM

Fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2016, 03:07 PM

Nice pics and fish! Ya I'm also bad for the "one more corner" mentality but that's the journey. I log all my honey holes I stumble onto, especially on rivers with lots of walking. Makes it easier for next time.

These pics are torture on somebody who hasn't been able to get out yet this year. Kiddy camping first.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:47 PM

That's what it's all about isn't it?
The discovery of a beautiful place after a bit of exploring, watching the fish, then catching them. Looks like it was close to a perfect outing!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:33 PM

that's a great looking spot, you patience got rewarded in a big way! thanks for sharing