Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 PM

Default First bull for me

they fight pretty nicely on the contrary to what I've read. This was a special fish for me on home waters ,now to locate those mythical Browns ...
Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 PM

First off beautiful fish. Secondly I have yet to have a really good fights with any of the 20" and bigger bulls. They have always bulldoged down and use their body mass to stay there. Rainbows and cutties jump and splash. Browns pull pull pull quick and try to get to cover. Brookies well are just meh. But bulls are just like big wet logs. They get in current and hold on. I landed a 19" last weekend on my 2 wt. Talk about scrambling
Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 PM

Wow great looking fish! Congrats
Old 06-28-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
First off beautiful fish. Secondly I have yet to have a really good fights with any of the 20" and bigger bulls. They have always bulldoged down and use their body mass to stay there. Rainbows and cutties jump and splash. Browns pull pull pull quick and try to get to cover. Brookies well are just meh. But bulls are just like big wet logs. They get in current and hold on. I landed a 19" last weekend on my 2 wt. Talk about scrambling
thx, he did do a lot of bulldogging down to the bottom but he thrashed like rainbow when I first hooked him I think he was surprised to be hooked,this trout has seen his fair share of spinners , but yeah a rainbow that size ... Yikes , I need a 2 or 3 weight I do a lot of grayling fishing and I think that would be super fun to catch them on a light weight rod.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:50 PM

Awesome Bullzer. Just caught a 26" Bulltron myself today, whipping dries on my 3wt. Except mine went straight for current and not the deep pool..... Long battle but I prevailed....
Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 PM

Great fish !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyShootMore View Post
Awesome Bullzer. Just caught a 26" Bulltron myself today, whipping dries on my 3wt. Except mine went straight for current and not the deep pool..... Long battle but I prevailed....
I didn't even try dry flys it's funny because I was all pumped to use the new flies I tied some big slump busters and streamers and my new 8 weight with sink tip line which I bought two of ,was planning on packing both it and my 5 weight rigged with a drop shot rig.... Well I forgot my fly boxes on my front deck and grabbed the wrong fly rod with no fly line loaded onto it thought I was screwed I had like 3 nymphs and an olive bugger and a full box of drys I guess I learned something today
Old 06-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Here he is. Just a quick shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160619_115354.jpg (67.3 KB, 99 views)