Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default Refridgeration

Well I got it done , bought a brand new 22 cu ft chest freezer to keep 60 Beaver I had stretched and dried for whenever the market pulls up again . energy efficient , cost about $45.00 to $50.00 a year . freezer was $600.00 . But what the heck I need one anyway, I will build a weather proof box and keep it outside , and unplug it for winter .
should work .
Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 PM
Banned

Say Parfleche, if you are gonna wait for the beav mkt to turn around, better keep your eyes open for sev. more freezers, bigger ones to boot...haha
Old 05-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Banned

Doug
I have a lot of patience ! And at $45. a year I can afford to keep a lot of pelts ! In fact I am getting another energy efficient freezer to store more hides . If NAFA can do it for a year with no charge I,m willing to play the game! Plus it works for a lot of other stuff.I did get a 22 cu ft new for $600.00 and if you wait for damaged outer boxes you can get them a lot cheaper , so if nothing else I can store a lot of elk, deer, pork etc I have to look at the glass as half full ! LOL
Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM

Default freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Well I got it done , bought a brand new 22 cu ft chest freezer to keep 60 Beaver I had stretched and dried for whenever the market pulls up again . energy efficient , cost about $45.00 to $50.00 a year . freezer was $600.00 . But what the heck I need one anyway, I will build a weather proof box and keep it outside , and unplug it for winter .
should work .
Hi Parfleche. Could you enlighten us on the brand, and who you purchased it from. Kinda needing another one pretty quick. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Banned

Its a frigidaire , never used from the Hutterites , They bought 20 in one crack , this one was for a new wed girl who did not like the small kink in the top ! So I got it for $600. never was plugged in . I would suggest looking at the large dealers who have damaged ones come in and discount them good . Does not affect function . My beavers are not fussy about an odd kink !
Energy efficient is the key , look for a green star rating , About 40 to 50 dollars a year , a chest type is cheaper because the are easier to control the loss when you open them then a upright one.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

For those of you looking for freezers, keep in mind that the frost free models will suck out all the moisture from whatever you put in there and freezer burn unless you vacuum seal your contents. FYI
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Banned

Thanks Doug ! It,s going to take one sucker of a vacum to do 64 Beavers !
But I know what to do , I will get a Liberal to suck all the air out !