Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 PM

Default What happened here?

This used to be a great place for us trappers to come and share advice, but know its getting worse than the fishing forum. Over the years there has been a few here that have taken it upon themselves to belittle others on an ongoing basis. If you have a problem with someone talk to an administrator, keep the grade school antics out of it. Or use the ignore function, it really works. We, as trappers are supposed to be professionals here. In the long run it makes us all look bad.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
This used to be a great place for us trappers to come and share advice, but know its getting worse than the fishing forum. Over the years there has been a few here that have taken it upon themselves to belittle others on an ongoing basis. If you have a problem with someone talk to an administrator, keep the grade school antics out of it. Or use the ignore function, it really works. We, as trappers are supposed to be professionals here. In the long run it makes us all look bad.
Seems like all the controversy comes from one guy.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 PM
AO Sponsor

What controversy are you talking about? I haven't really noticed too much. I did see a little name calling or something. It's probably our fallen nature, all men suffer from totally depravity! We could be in big trouble... Oh wait, most of us are!

I think people were just toying with each other, we are bored! A good long, cold winter is just what the doctor is ordering for next season.

Some guy named Matt Chandler said, " there is nothing more dangerous than a man that is bored..."
Old 04-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Gone Hunting

I'm not seeing a lot of controversy. I do see a couple of individuals trying to start a controversy.

Some know a lot and say very little while some know very little and say a lot.
People are that way every where I go. Why worry about it?

I don't expect beginners to know where to look for all the answers, and some just don't think before speaking. That too is the way of the world.
I've been a beginner and I've opened my mouth many times without engaging my brain.

So some times I act like an ass, sometimes I misunderstand. Some times I am grumpy and some times I joke too much.

I'm not prefect and I don't expect my friends to be perfect.

I would be shocked if we all got along 100 percent of the time. This is a large diverse group with a wide wide range of personalities and experience.

I think the best way to get along is to accept that we different yet in many ways we are the same.

Lets look for common ground and embrace our differences.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 AM
Banned

X 2 Keg! You must be as old as I am LOL
Old 04-20-2016, 04:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
Seems like all the controversy comes from one guy.
Yup, and The controversy is generated out of same area, NO WHERE ELSE, from the same handful of stunned monkeys!

My loyalties lie with the ATA.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I'm not seeing a lot of controversy. I do see a couple of individuals trying to start a controversy.

Some know a lot and say very little while some know very little and say a lot.
People are that way every where I go. Why worry about it?

I don't expect beginners to know where to look for all the answers, and some just don't think before speaking. That too is the way of the world.
I've been a beginner and I've opened my mouth many times without engaging my brain.

So some times I act like an ass, sometimes I misunderstand. Some times I am grumpy and some times I joke too much.

I'm not prefect and I don't expect my friends to be perfect.

I would be shocked if we all got along 100 percent of the time. This is a large diverse group with a wide wide range of personalities and experience.

I think the best way to get along is to accept that we different yet in many ways we are the same.

Lets look for common ground and embrace our differences.
Spot on Keg, well said.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let's call it what it is......Peer Pressure! You either conform to an individual's or group's way of thinking or they try to intimidate you into submission. It's the kind of stuff that we warn our children about in case they encounter it in the playground. It's much easier to go along with it than it is to resist it. Depending on ones personality, people may ignore it, or just walk away from it because that's easiest, while others will stand up to it. I think that people know where I stand wrt Peer Pressure.

"Peer pressure (or social pressure) is influence a peer group, observers, or an individual exerts that encourages others to change their attitudes, values, or behaviors to conform to those of the influencing group or individual."
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 PM

Wow head in the sand there. There are real threats that don't go public thank god There is a organization that deals with this, an most are members. I have had the post that was taken down about whatch what you post an I guess that was fear mongering an I am the problem so post away on all things trapping an if it's questionable asks hunter Dave he has the answers.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Wow head in the sand there. There are real threats that don't go public thank god There is a organization that deals with this, an most are members. I have had the post that was taken down about whatch what you post an I guess that was fear mongering an I am the problem so post away on all things trapping an if it's questionable asks hunter Dave he has the answers.
So now you are suggesting that the Pres and VP are with holding info from the membership and their reports aren't accurate. That's brilliant. Who ties your shoes in the morning?

A little advice, when you find yourself digging a hole, stop digging.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So now you are suggesting that the Pres and VP are with holding info from the membership and their reports aren't accurate. That's brilliant. Who ties your shoes in the morning?

A little advice, when you find yourself digging a hole, stop digging.
Funny thing is Dave I have heard what swtrappin is saying by more than one person and they aren't connected. I know swtrappin personally he is a friend of mine and he is in the ATA. Also is a strong member of the Ata also is on the board with the prez and vp. He is well know in the alberta trapping circle I have never heard a bunch of BS come out of his mouth. I am pretty sure all he is trying to say is don't post stuff that gives us all a bad image. Example poor catches, by catches, poor dispatch methods. All of this stuff is not a good to post on an open forum. If anyone has a question about any of these examples private message don't post. There are some folks that don't don't recognize or even worse don't care what affect their actions may have going forward.
It seems to me Dave you are arguing whether the prez or the vp are really concerned about an issue vs a board member that sits next to the vp says hey guys watch what you say and post on this forum. The incorrect decision an uninformed trapper may make shouldn't be discussed openly. And this is the big hairy deal.

Noone talks about sets or traps or the best lure to use in this situation anymore. Best ways to board a beaver rat or fox. This place is getting very whacky. There will people not posting on here anymore. Like keg said many people with the knowledge not speaking but lots of folk speakING too much with no knowledge.
Happy trapping

Last edited by bill9044; 04-21-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Funny thing is Dave I have heard what swtrappin is saying by more than one person and they aren't connected. I know swtrappin personally he is a friend of mine and he is in the ATA. Also is a strong member of the Ata also is on the board with the prez and vp. He is well know in the alberta trapping circle I have never heard a bunch of BS come out of his mouth. I am pretty sure all he is trying to say is don't post stuff that gives us all a bad image. Example poor catches, by catches, poor dispatch methods. All of this stuff is not a good to post on an open forum. If anyone has a question about any of these examples private message don't post. There are some folks that don't don't recognize or even worse don't care what affect their actions may have going forward.
It seems to me Dave you are arguing whether the prez or the vp are really concerned about an issue vs a board member that sits next to the vp says hey guys watch what you say and post on this forum. The incorrect decision an uninformed trapper may make shouldn't be discussed openly. And this is the big hairy deal.

Noone talks about sets or traps or the best lure to use in this situation anymore. Best ways to board a beaver rat or fox. This place is getting very whacky. There will people not posting on here anymore. Like keg said many people with the knowledge not speaking but lots of folk speakING too much with no knowledge.
Happy trapping
Ok so you know a guy that openly
got into it with another right here, meh, I like when others post an issue or how to etc regarding trapping, dispatching critters etc, some jump down thier throats etc and a little squabble starts, oh well that is what happens when you get a bunch in a circle, disagree or agree oh well but most logical people will filter through the squabble and pick out the things that interest them as in trapping tactics etc and learn from that, a perfect world, a perfect forum...fields of fur abundance for all...good luck.
The mods will jump in when things run amuck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-21-2016, 06:08 AM

I think Keg said it best. I would just add that no one forces me to read all the posts, if I don't like the tone or where they are headed I just move on.
Doug
Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Bill, Let's be clear, the title of the thread was, "Snares in Trouble", not "Watch what is Mentioned" or anything along those lines. He may be backpeddling now wrt the intent of his thread but the fact remains that the primary theme of his thread was, "Snares in Trouble". The OP and a handful of his followers have a long history of using fear and intimidation as a means to manipulate people into adopting their way of thinking. I encourage you to read the minutes from the meetings at other Locals because none of that is apparent anywhere else that I'm aware of. I would also suggest that you invite the Pres and VP of the ATA to provide a briefing to your membership and/or read the Pres report. Perhaps then the fear and rumours would subside.

WRT the rest of his post, I am in agreement that some things posted on here should not be. That's why when the OP was spreading his fear and feeding rumours, some of us were working in the background to take corrective action.

Some may point towards my limited experience as a trapper as not being someone credible. What they don't realize is that I have extensive training and experience wrt the management of people. The issue of intimidation and spreading fear through rumours has nothing to do with trapping and everything to do with people and it's very important to counter those rumours with factual information. They are very damaging to an organization and if not addressed and allowed to be repeated, it enables them to become truth. The next thing that you know you have a bunch of chicken littles running around declaring that the demise of snaring is imminent when that simply is not correct. There are volumes of books written about this stuff.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future the Minister has the opportunity to speak directly to trappers and helps to put the concerns of some people to rest. I suspect that the rumour spreaders will attempt to dismiss her comments as well though.

The facts......Posted for the fourth time now......

The Pres and the VP Of the ATA met with the Minister and they reported that the tone of the meeting was very positive and the Minster left a positive impression on the group.

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-21-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Banned

Try making your point WITHOUT using words like Stunned Monkey, , Chicken Little , fear mongering , Extensive training in management , does not mean you have a handle on it Dave , No more than the fact I have an accident free 37.5 years class one drivers license , makes me an expert driver!
We know your opinion on this post , so why not let it go ? I don,t think anyone else is changing their mind.
It,s a fact you disagree ,so be it ! that is your prerogative , We can agree to leave it at that and carry on to trapping discussions .
Old 04-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
It,s a fact you disagree ,so be it ! that is your prerogative , We can agree to leave it at that and carry on to trapping discussions .
And there in lies the problem, some will not let it go.

I get caught in the trap myself but I know it's a dead end street.
No one gains, but I loose credibility.

The truth does not have to be repeated. Now if I could only remember that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-21-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You only need to read the posts above to see the problem. Personal attacks, speculation, blah, blah, blah. Come visit me on t-man. I do believe I am finished with this forum.

Over and Out...Spruce
Old 04-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Try making your point WITHOUT using words like Stunned Monkey, , Chicken Little , fear mongering.....
I don't recall seeing you post something similar to that when SWT called me a fool and a coward.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Banned

Dave HE called YOU I didn"t .You must deal with him . when you generalize I feel lumped in , so that is why. Other than that I have no issues! Why not put it to rest Dave ? Your hurt , it will blow over ! We can still talk about trapping !
Old 04-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dave HE called YOU I didn"t .You must deal with him . when you generalize I feel lumped in , so that is why. Other than that I have no issues! Why not put it to rest Dave ? Your hurt , it will blow over ! We can still talk about trapping !
I'm not hurt, Parfleshe. You are under the impression than it's only me who is concerned about the rumour of "Snares in Trouble". So far I've been unable to find that mentioned in any meeting minutes by anyone in the ATA Executive. I'm sure that if snares were in trouble it would be something that the Pres and VP would pass on to the membership so I'm likely on a wild goose chase. This has been ongoing for years and needs to be dealt with once and for all. Don't worry, we'll be back to only trapping discussion soon and the forum will be much better for it.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Banned

Dave , good to see the smiley face LOL Shyte happens ! Yes you are not alone for sure , But we must stand together , our enemy has TONNES of money and are very articulate at misinformation , and turning good people against each other .Their engine is EMOTION ! That is a very hard enemy to control !
They use us against ourselves ! If you want to kill something , find the weak spots , know your enemy better than he knows you! Divide and Concur!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Dave , good to see the smiley face LOL Shyte happens ! Yes you are not alone for sure , But we must stand together , our enemy has TONNES of money and are very articulate at misinformation , and turning good people against each other .Their engine is EMOTION ! That is a very hard enemy to control !
They use us against ourselves ! If you want to kill something , find the weak spots , know your enemy better than he knows you! Divide and Concur!
Great post and so true .
Old 04-22-2016, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
The portion that I highlighted applies equally to the individual(s) who create and distribute rumours as well, and rumours can be very damaging. If you want to stop the spreading of rumours the solution is very simple, read the minutes from the Pres address. Then read the minutes from the Minister's meeting. Once you are armed with the facts and present them to people the rumours will subside and the individual(s) creating them will stop using them to control and intimidate people. Then perhaps, any divide that the rumours caused will be bridged.

I agree that we should stand united whoever that is somewhat difficult when one individual promotes his own personal agenda that differs from the ATA's. My loyalties lie with the ATA not with just a single person or small group within the organization.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The portion that I highlighted applies equally to the individual(s) who create and distribute rumours as well, and rumours can be very damaging. If you want to stop the spreading of rumours the solution is very simple, read the minutes from the Pres address. Then read the minutes from the Minister's meeting. Once you are armed with the facts and present them to people the rumours will subside and the individual(s) creating them will stop using them to control and intimidate people. Then perhaps, any divide that the rumours caused will be bridged.

I agree that we should stand united whoever that is somewhat difficult when one individual promotes his own personal agenda that differs from the ATA's. My loyalties lie with the ATA not with just a single person or small group within the organization.
If you think everything the ATA deals with can be found in the meeting minutes your head is buried in the sand even deeper than I thought, If you think you know the ATA Pres/vise Pres etc better than Rod thats laughable, There is NO agenda Dave it was simply a topic to discuss and get ahead of possible ramifications of ignoring it could cause. YOU blew this discussion way out of proportion, a lot of good trappers with years of experience are leaving this forum because of YOU...she is all yours Dave.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
If you think everything the ATA deals with can be found in the meeting minutes your head is buried in the sand even deeper than I thought, If you think you know the ATA Pres/vise Pres etc better than Rod thats laughable, There is NO agenda Dave it was simply a topic to discuss and get ahead of possible ramifications of ignoring it could cause. YOU blew this discussion way out of proportion, a lot of good trappers with years of experience are leaving this forum because of YOU...she is all yours Dave.
Moose I think your a little harsh. Long standing guys are not leaving this place just because of Dave. Come on...

It's funny how there are so many guys here with so much experience yet I don't see many going out of their way to share their own experiences, pictures and ideas. Thanks to the ones that do!!

I also find it interesting when there are a ton of guys with less than a few hundred posts yet have been on this forum for a long time. Why is it that you are scared to post?

I also find it interesting when guys say " just take a course" or learn it somewhere else other than from guys with decades of experience.

I could go on but nothing will change. Most people on this forum say very little, try to teach and share personal experiences. Again, thanks to the ones that do!
And I will admit I understand to some degree why some don't.

Not sure why this place is any different than Trapperman forum but it seems like over there people are not trying to hide.

This is a great place that seems like it pushes people away. Not sure why that is but it sure seems like we have lost some good guys here......
I am thinking by next year there won't be much to talk about.....
Old 04-22-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Moose I think your a little harsh. Long standing guys are not leaving this place just because of Dave. Come on...

It's funny how there are so many guys here with so much experience yet I don't see many going out of their way to share their own experiences, pictures and ideas. Thanks to the ones that do!!

I also find it interesting when there are a ton of guys with less than a few hundred posts yet have been on this forum for a long time. Why is it that you are scared to post?

I also find it interesting when guys say " just take a course" or learn it somewhere else other than from guys with decades of experience.

I could go on but nothing will change. Most people on this forum say very little, try to teach and share personal experiences. Again, thanks to the ones that do!
And I will admit I understand to some degree why some don't.

Not sure why this place is any different than Trapperman forum but it seems like over there people are not trying to hide.

This is a great place that seems like it pushes people away. Not sure why that is but it sure seems like we have lost some good guys here......
I am thinking by next year there won't be much to talk about.....
No Nube I know several who quit posting because they are tired of the BS, if it was harsh I would say so but its not, I think Spruce has the right idea.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
no nube i know several who quit posting because they are tired of the bs, if it was harsh i would say so but its not, i think spruce has the right idea.
x 2. Time to pull the plug.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Banned

Yup, I think that I'm out as well. I'm getting tired of battling the same small group of individuals time and time again, for what.....three years now? Yeah, definitely not worth it anymore.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:55 PM

Hmmmmmm...If everyone else is going...last one out shut off the lights!
Old 04-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Soooo, all you guys that are leaving are going to spend more time on another trapping forum arguing?
lemme know how that works out for ya.......
You are all members of the ATA I assume?
Cat