Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 01:20 PM

Default Beavers prime?

How much longer will they be decent and what's the best way to decide they aren't ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2016, 05:38 PM

I am not the most experienced but I know once stretched if they turn purple that means not prime. Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Banned

Beavers deteriorate very fast , First they get sunburned hair tips , they began looking paler and you will notice the guard hairs starting to look sparse .
Anytime after may 10 is quite late , this year will possibly be a little earlier BUT that depends on your location The difference between Red Deer and Grande Prairie would be almost two weeks , But another factor is whether they come from a deep in the woods pond or a river or creek that opened early . They were coming out on the banks BEFORE the water opened up . as they usually do . But location is a factor.
About beginning of may some start to pup and that,s a good time to stop.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

The last one that I caught was Thursday and he had numerous bite marks on him. The ice came off the sloughs about two weeks ago. Just north of Edmonton. I need one more beaver and I'm done.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 PM

i agree it depends on location.some of the ice just left not long ago and i know from a recent swim the water is very cold still.i would like to think we got at least another 2 weeks at least before we quit.as far as chewed up ones i think thats a population issue not a primness issue.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:06 PM

I'm east of Calgary and they were done a week ago. I was catching them in some cold sloughs so I got a couple more week after the river was done.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 AM

Thanks all. Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverJim View Post
i agree it depends on location.some of the ice just left not long ago and i know from a recent swim the water is very cold still.i would like to think we got at least another 2 weeks at least before we quit.as far as chewed up ones i think thats a population issue not a primness issue.
It really does depend on location everything is still froze on my line.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Banned

got two this am and they are still good NOT perfect but ok . The luster will fade as the hair began to degrade.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Beaver reach their prime mid winter and since they do not molt the hide can be salable throughout the year.

The discolored leather can be caused by a couple of things, molting, improper handling or spoilage.

Generally Beaver fur quality starts to drop around the middle of February and declines slowly till spring melt starts. Then it deteriorates at an ever increasing rate.

The average hide will be worth little by the first week in May but some may fetch a reasonable price right through to the end of May.

Many factor determine the rate of drop, exposure to sunlight, fighting, daytime temperatures, time spend on land and in shallow water (causes rubbing. )

With the way this season went I would think that most hides will not be worth the effort by the end of next week.

BUT.

Colonies with deep water on intermittent streams or in Deep Lakes may be worth tapping till the end of the month.

I expect the travelers are near worthless now.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 PM

If you can go on Canadian trapper and there's a really good video on there from FHA. It's about 55 minutes long and covers all aspects on beaver grading it's on you tube also well worth the time.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:24 PM

I just chase Ice outs. I give myself at the most 2 weeks of open water in an area to trap it (I prefer inside of a week). I always trap until the end of April, occasionally into May on the big lakes if they don't break up by then. I believe water temp plays a big part, as well as the temp inside the house. Beavers in shallow crappy sloughs become shedders way earlier than big deep lakes. Beavers in rivers are good for a couple weeks after ice out due to super cold water temps too IMO. My very best beavers always come from the same spot every year mid-late April...my VERY BEST. (SEL*, I*) This year I was trapping beaver through the ice that were not even fully primed in February, still had partially black hides like fall beaver. Very odd. I don't think sun plays a big part, as beavers are very nocturnal (Otters, yes, beavers, no).

Of note, a beaver pelt that has been frozen takes on a reddish or yellowish color once dried, same goes for Otter.

Just hit them right as the ice goes out and you will always get heavy prime pelts.

Spruce
Old 04-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I just chase Ice outs. I give myself at the most 2 weeks of open water in an area to trap it (I prefer inside of a week). I always trap until the end of April, occasionally into May on the big lakes if they don't break up by then. I believe water temp plays a big part, as well as the temp inside the house. Beavers in shallow crappy sloughs become shedders way earlier than big deep lakes. Beavers in rivers are good for a couple weeks after ice out due to super cold water temps too IMO. My very best beavers always come from the same spot every year mid-late April...my VERY BEST. (SEL*, I*) This year I was trapping beaver through the ice that were not even fully primed in February, still had partially black hides like fall beaver. Very odd. I don't think sun plays a big part, as beavers are very nocturnal (Otters, yes, beavers, no).

Of note, a beaver pelt that has been frozen takes on a reddish or yellowish color once dried, same goes for Otter.

Just hit them right as the ice goes out and you will always get heavy prime pelts.

Spruce
You are absolutely right, the first two weeks after the first open water is the best, even though the pelts are not at full prime. The fur is at it's longest so at it's best for shearing.

Beaver are mostly used for shearing, to make felt, for high end felt hats, and for trim.

Yes, colony beaver are largely nocturnal, the travelers are another matter.
They spend most if not all day in the sunlight and they get badly sun burnt.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverJim View Post
Got these two within 3 days of one another last weekend. Two different creeks Peace River area. The one on the left looks good but the one on the right not so much. It looks like it is started to shed. Small little fur balls that brush out high in the back.

Had one other brute that was so cut up from fighting that it was unsalvagable. I've never seen one that bad. Thinking tough fights for territory with the dry conditions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.8 KB, 41 views)