Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default Shortage of Smelts in Edm.

So when I am using smelts I ussually go with Parkers. I ran out of them, and don't really like the other ones they sell, so I went to Superstore for the big bag of whole smelts. Turns out they are out of stock, and that goes for all the Superstores in Edm. apparantly. Tried Wallmart, No Frills(Same as superstore), Safeway and IGA and can't find any anywhere. Anyone know where a person can find them now? Has anyone else noticed this shortage?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 PM

Try t&t supermarket. The Calgary trail one had them yesterday.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtanelion View Post
Try t&t supermarket. The Calgary trail one had them yesterday.
they have one on the north side too thats where i got them before.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:10 PM

I was at the fishing hole on 170 st on the weekend, and they had some (not a ton, though)
They also had some big herring.
This is the first ice season I caught enough minnows myself for the whole season. Already having my bait in the freezer is priceless. (Emptying the minnow traps with the kids in the summer time is pretty priceless too)
Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Banned

Default Spinelli's

Try Spinelli's on 97

Or any Portugese food store.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 PM

I prefer the Parker Minnows for sure - but Superstore, as mentioned will have a pretty big bag of smelts (1kg) for under $10.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 PM

I thought Parkers were Spot Tail Shiners??????
Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I thought Parkers were Spot Tail Shiners??????
Yes they are ...... shiners are in the minnow family.

WaterNinja did refer to them as smelts, which are salt water fish (not minnows really) but heck ........ we know what he means .....

Can't find minnows anywhere in town. Smelts work too - but aren't as reflective and a bit bigger.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:10 PM

Big difference between Smelts and Minnows and one that could get you a hefty fine as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:56 PM

Default Bait

Was out looking for some bait today. Usually get mine at superstore but couldnt find them, got lucky and picked up some bigger stuff at the superstore in Stoney, seemed to work but not as nice as the fishing store baits.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

WaterNinja did refer to them as smelts, which are salt water fish (not minnows really) but heck ........ we know what he means .....

Can't find minnows anywhere in town. Smelts work too - but aren't as reflective and a bit bigger.
Not sure about smelt being salt water I know for fact they are fresh water We used to net them by the thousands in the creeks as they were spawning in spring coming out of both lake ontario at toronto and lake superior at Thunder Bay. They were also in the lake I lived at near Atikokan (Eva Lake) They got in there as the locals would go to Thunder Bay to net bucks full then swish out the buckets at home which were full of fertilized eggs from the transported smelt. In no time the lake was full of them
Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Not sure about smelt being salt water I know for fact they are fresh water We used to net them by the thousands in the creeks as they were spawning in spring coming out of both lake ontario at toronto and lake superior at Thunder Bay. They were also in the lake I lived at near Atikokan (Eva Lake) They got in there as the locals would go to Thunder Bay to net bucks full then swish out the buckets at home which were full of fertilized eggs from the transported smelt. In no time the lake was full of them
We used to have a great time netting smelt in the spring. You could catch a whole years worth of bait in an evening. Over the years we found a spot where we could dip smelts in July and found they made better bait Because they aren't spawning at that time.

Rainbow smelts are an invasive species in the Great Lakes. There are many inland lakes where they have also established.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Smelts are a family of fish, just like minnows. True smelts occur in salt water and travel into (or up) fresh water rivers and streams (just like salmon). They are classified as a anadromous species.

In some exceptional cases, occurring in Eastern Canada and Europe there are landlocked species of "smelt" that live in freshwater. I don't know if these are true smelts (by biological classification) or just a "local reference". I'm sure there is some reference material on this somewhere. If the smelts you were netting were permanently landlocked and did not have a tributary to the ocean this could be the case but I'm not sure.

Either way ..... the main point was there is a distinction between fish in the family of minnows (freshwater) versus fish in the family of smelts (salt water). There is also some physical/biological differences.

I'm guessing the reason ESRD/federal fisheries provides a distinction is due to the risk associated with minnow re-introduction, pathogens, parasites which exhibit potential to occur from fresh water species/environments into freshwater species/environments vesus salt water to freshwater at a much higher potential rate for obvious reasons.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:43 PM

I use those portuguese sardines that they sell at Walmart. .there bigger than smelts, but work well for pike on a tip up
Old 01-05-2016, 01:45 PM

So to add some details to this discussion ... the Smelt Family or Osmeridae are represented in Canada by 4 species. Pond Smelt, Longfin Smelt, Eulachon and the most widespread Rainbow Smelt. It is my belief that the smelt most commonly sold is the Rainbow and also the ones that people were talking about netting at least in Ontario. They are anadromous but like many anadromous species they can live in freshwater throughout their lives.

Just thought I would throw some science around.

FFG

FFG

“Do unto those downstream as you would have those upstream do unto you.”
― Wendell Berry
Old 01-05-2016, 02:14 PM

I would add that the taxonomic rank of family (ie Cyprinidae or Osmeridae) does not by intent, identify them as being a "freshwater" or a "saltwater"group Taxonomic groupings into families and further refined to genus and species is much more complicated than that and coincidentally much too boring to get into here .... but to quote the Joes ... "knowing is half the battle" !

FFG

― Wendell Berry
Old 01-05-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper_39 View Post
I use those portuguese sardines that they sell at Walmart. .there bigger than smelts, but work well for pike on a tip up
Use to buy them at Walmart here in Lethbridge too. But neither store has had any in this year. Do they still have them where you are? Maybe I will try Calgary next time I am up there.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

OMG. Smelts/ Shiners / Minnows.......... Thank god you know what I mean even if I don't. Just checked the container I got from Cabbelas and they are Candle lake Minnows. At Superstore they call them Smelts. I sure hope they are all legal to use cause thats what Iv'e been using for years, and I don't think I can handle much more abuse. lol
Old 01-05-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
OMG. Smelts/ Shiners / Minnows.......... Thank god you know what I mean even if I don't. Just checked the container I got from Cabbelas and they are Candle lake Minnows. At Superstore they call them Smelts. I sure hope they are all legal to use cause thats what Iv'e been using for years, and I don't think I can handle much more abuse. lol
Candle Lake/Parkers are Spot tail shiners.

Smelts are different.

As said can get ticket if you use wrong.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Wow! a lot info for a dude looking for frozen bait
Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
lol - sorry - not the intent. There is definitely a difference between smelts and minnows - although - I know you are looking for either one ..... so no big deal.

There is an important distinction a few people pointed out that many anglers don't understand. And it applies to a few watersheds and fishing zones that could get you in trouble OR allow you to use a smelt where the use of bait fish is prohibited without breaking the law.

Minnows can't be used where there is a bait fish is prohibited ..... whereas you can use a smelt in these same waters as they are not classified as a bait fish.

Here it is out of the Regulations .....

Fishing with Bait Fish

Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.
Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Important to know your bait. Buy minnows that are spottailed shiners and fish Spray you get a fat ticket. Buy smelt and you don't. Bring a mix and you get a ticket.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunt View Post
As long as it's insult free, I'll take all the info. I can get. Bait is very important.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:19 PM

Default tandt

got a bag of yellow tails for 5$,they have no head but fish love them, cheaper than 10 for 6$ at fishin hole,and if fish aren't biting fry some up for yourself
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunt View Post
Too funny!!!

FFG

― Wendell Berry
Old 01-05-2016, 07:45 PM

Just get the big bag at superstore at 137.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotars View Post
Just get the big bag at superstore at 137.
Where have you been Lotars? I started this thread after finding out that there are no smelts at Superstore at 137 ave and 50 st, and they are out at all the Superstores. Hence the search began. We have come full circle. lol
Old 01-06-2016, 07:28 AM

I was in this superstore, yesterday, they are in the corner, on fridge, closer to the live fish aquarium( took a while to find), it was at 6pm , i toook one and there was left at least 15 packs, for 10$, 1kg, with heads.

I just PM to you Watterninja, no idea, why its not gong out

Good luck

Last edited by lotars; 01-06-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Use to buy them at Walmart here in Lethbridge too. But neither store has had any in this year. Do they still have them where you are? Maybe I will try Calgary next time I am up there.
Try any portuguese food store or bakery calgary. .they should have them
Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper_39 View Post
Try any portuguese food store or bakery calgary. .they should have them
Thanks bumper_39