Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-31-2012, 04:13 PM

Default 30-06 125gr vs 150gr

So after taking my first animal this last week and seeing what a 150gr round can do, I have been considering stepping down a notch to the 125 gr winchester rounds. Anyone tell me why I would or wouldn't want to do this? Is it just a matter of personal preference or is there a really big difference in how they shoot or what they can drop?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM

knowing what type of animal would sure help. 125 grain for yotes would be ok i guess.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM

I believe the issue is called "ballistic coefficient". In other words, the length that works the best. I find a 165 gr boat tail spire point (Hornady) to be the best for speed and foot pounds in my Remingtons in 30.06.

Have tried the really light bullets, and they are not very accurate. I am told by old timers that the short bullets will "tumble" and simply are not very stable. Maybe they are right. The light 30 cals sure get short at that weight.

If you want to go this light, and go very fast, try a 25 - 06. Very fast and very light, and not a magnum.

Drewski
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM

Well It was a bear, not a very big bear but the round still left a pretty big hole coming out the other side. I was thinking that come deer season maybe trying the 125gr round so as to save as much meat as I can. I would also like to be able to confidently take 200 yd shots so accuracy does play a big role.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Well It was a bear, not a very big bear but the round still left a pretty big hole coming out the other side. I was thinking that come deer season maybe trying the 125gr round so as to save as much meat as I can. I would also like to be able to confidently take 200 yd shots so accuracy does play a big role.

If you are trying to save meat, the 125 is definitely NOT the way to go. The higher velocity and possible fragmenting of the bullet means a lot of wasted or bloodshot meat.
I prefer a heavier bullet that is a bit slower in velocity, it will penetrate all the way through without mashing edible portions like the 125 grainer.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Anyone tell me why I would or wouldn't want to do this?
Many/most here more qualified to talk about ballistics than me. I wouldn't step down simply because I like to go with one bullet weight for all my hunting so I don't have to diddle around with continually sighting in, etc. My primary big game rifle is a .270 and I use a stout 150g XP3 for everything. I don't find it damages TOO much meat, and I've shot some pretty small deer LOL.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM

Who would have thought a smaller bullet would do more damage...huh. makes sense though. Maybe Ill just stick with the 150's.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Banned

I found a significant decrease in accuracy with Remington Corelockt 125g vs 180g in my Win M70 30-06. IIRC it was an 8" group at 100 yards or something like that. I have used Winchester PP in 150 and 180 as well as the Remington in 180 and 220 and found them all consistent in that rifle, but the 125s were awful.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 PM

My suggestion would be to go with a good quality 165gr bullet for the .30-06. In my experience that seems to be the "happy" weight of bullet that seems to work good on deer up to moose size animals.

LC
Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 PM
sheephunter

Bullet weight and meat damage have very little relationship.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
X2...bullet construction > weight
Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
X2...bullet construction > weight
Among a dozen other variables.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Among a dozen other variables.
Just keeping it simple

LC
Old 05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Many/most here more qualified to talk about ballistics than me. I wouldn't step down simply because I like to go with one bullet weight for all my hunting so I don't have to diddle around with continually sighting in, etc. My primary big game rifle is a .270 and I use a stout 150g XP3 for everything. I don't find it damages TOO much meat, and I've shot some pretty small deer LOL.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 PM

Oh man don't go with that bullet in yer '06!! Thats a thin jacketed bullet designed for varminting.If you hit a big bone like the shoulder on a mature buck the penetration will be very little and the risk of just wounding and losing the animal is very high.Stick with yer 150's if you wanna shoot light bullets in the '06 or go to a monolithic like the barns 130 tsx they will hold together but will really copper foul yer bore
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks for all the input! I'll stick to the 150 for now. Maybe try the 165's. There is just so much stuff out there to learn and so many different products. Finding out how everything all works together may take me awhile
Old 05-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Not totally correct. Speed also factors into the equation. Because most lighter for caliber bullets are loaded to travel at a higher velocity,they tend to do more tissue damage. Heavier for caliber bullets move slower and do less damage usually.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbeef View Post
Not totally correct. Speed also factors into the equation. Because most lighter for caliber bullets are loaded to travel at a higher velocity,they tend to do more tissue damage. Heavier for caliber bullets move slower and do less damage usually.
Hence the reason I said "very little" That would be more than none.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 PM

Most of the middle weights between 150 and 180 will be fine in the '06.
They are generally designed for big game, with the exception of the ma5ch bullets, which many people use to hunt with anyway - but that is another can of worms!
Cat
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Gone Hunting

We are shooting 150 gr .308 bullet in 3 30-06 for everything.

It is Barnes TTSX blue tipped bullet. Very accurate in many rifles.

It opens sooner than TSX.There is no copper fouling to speak of.
It is though enough for elk and not to tough for deer. Exit wounds typically are small but most of vital organs are liquefied.
And no lead in venison as added bonus.

Old thinking was heavier slower bullets for big animals.
New thinking lighter, faster and tougher, monolithic bullets.
They don't damage meat as they have tendency to retain almost all its weight.
They out penetrate all other bullets in every test.

If 30-06 would be my only rifle I would consider 165 gr monolithic bullet for everything over 57 gr of IMR 4350.

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input! I'll stick to the 150 for now. Maybe try the 165's. There is just so much stuff out there to learn and so many different products. Finding out how everything all works together may take me awhile
light bullets are usualy more explosive in nature do to there construction like thinner copper jacket and used for coyotes and other small game heaver bullets usually are well constructed like heavy jacket pattion or bonded or some form of trying to keep the bullet retention wieght as this gives better penetration and tissue damage on things like moose and grizzly. I used 180gr in 30-06 for a lot of years. a buddy talk me into trying 165gr liked them a lot better for deer & they work good on moose and elk. they just seemed to be a better balance for a one bullet for every thing that I hunted and I only had the one rifle for every thing that I hunted. at that time
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM

I try and keep it fairly simple.....find a bullet weight that shoots well in your rifle. For example, in my 7mm08, pretty much any 140 gr bullet shoots well (not so with 150 gr). Then, chose the bullet for your game. For deer, I am using a Nosler Ballistic tip, or Hornady SST (139 gr, same difference). For elk, moose, I use a Nosler Partition or TSX. I don't have to fiddle with my sighting this way, and get different results with different bullets (quick expansion on thinner skinned animals, more penetration with heavy bodied tougher critters).
With my .300 WM, I use 180 gr for everything, but it doesn't matter so much what bullet I use with it.....makes large hole.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM

Here are a few article to read through... look through some on sectional density, ballistic coefficient, and appropriate bullets for game...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm