Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 PM

Default Reloading

Say someone wants to start reloading for his 30-06. He has never reloaded anything before. Where does he start and what equipment does he need?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 PM

Depends on your budget. I would suggest an RCBS "Rock Chucker Supreme" kit. It comes with most everything you need to begin, and a reloading manual. You will need dies, shell holder, and case trimmer as well. The manual included is Speer if memory serves me correctly. A reloading manual for the manufacturer of the bullet you intend to reload is another addition.
Hope this helps
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Oh it helps for sure! I could have just googled everything I need to know but figured I'd save time by throwing it up here.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Glad to help. I began with a Rock Chucker about 10 years ago. Still running strong with no complaints. I added a case trimmer and other "nick-knacks" over the years, and my library of loading manuals has grown quite a bit too. To be honest, I enjoy reading them. Lots of good info to be had. As well, I strongly suggest finding an experienced reloader and picking their brains. There are a lot of things you wont learn from books.
Feel free to ask any time you have a question.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Reloading

Here is a link to a similar thread where another member was wondering about getting started reloading.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=Reloading

And here is another thread from a site with a lot of great info

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238214

I have really been enjoying reloading so far. Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM

I always tell people to buy a book. A reloading book. Nosler, Barnes, Hornady etc. Then read it like your life depends on it. It all makes sense once you read a book or two. Then go buy a Rockchucker and a scale and dies and your makin bullets. I bought the Partner press kit a million years ago and still use it now. I reload everything up to 510 Wells on it. I wish for a bigger press but this one is long paid for and the money saved buys bullets and more guns.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm08 View Post
Depends on your budget. I would suggest an RCBS "Rock Chucker Supreme" kit. It comes with most everything you need to begin, and a reloading manual. You will need dies, shell holder, and case trimmer as well. The manual included is Speer if memory serves me correctly. A reloading manual for the manufacturer of the bullet you intend to reload is another addition.
Hope this helps
x2 the rock chucker supreme kit is amazing, the Speer manual is included and very straight forward.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 AM

you need a good press and a good scale and good dies every thing else just kind of grows like funnels for powder sport shops sell them but so do a lot of the dollar stores and once you get started and see the tools used you will start recognizing thing at garage sales and other places if you look around you may be able to find most of what you need second hand at a decent discount as a lot are always up grading.just stay away from second hand dies unless you know the seller personally. as some people have no scruples when it comes to making a buck. RBS is a very good quality any thing better cost twice as much there kind of the standard that every thing else is measured against usualy it not as good or alot better than
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Default Lee classic loader

So I've actually been looking at the Lee classic loader. Looks kind of slow but for my needs as I don't shoot my 30-06 all that often looks half decent. Pro's or cons on this one?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Default Another Option

I started reloading with the Hornady Kit. Ive seen it priced between $350 and $500 depending on retailer and what ever sale they are having. Its a great kit as well. It has a manual for hornady bullets that is excellent. It comes with almost everything a guy needs to get going. I like the bushing system that hornady offers that allows you to quickly change dies. Reloading is a very fun hobby. It will save you on ammo in the long run. Only drawback is there is always another "tool or toy" that makes reloading faster or better. Personaly i like that, in a mad scientist kind of way
Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Smile I started with a lee!

Mine was the very old hand loader, no press. Used a rubber mallet to resize the brass! It worked surpisingly well. There are better solutions, start with a good press lee or rcbs (you can buy used on ebay for cheap), and a good scale. I use a balance beam type but there are new digital one people say are very good.

I'd also get carbide dies, or the best ones the AO members recommend. ASK eLK, he has never got a case stuck, a remarkable achievement.

Welcome, oh bye the way you can shoot .22 cal bullets from that gun, lots of fun, low recoil and cheap. ask me how!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 AM

I'd go for a Lee O-frame press before a handheld one. I have a handheld, it is the "armstrong" method so to speak. The Lee and the RCBS Partner are the two best known of the cheaper O-frame presses out there, next step up is the Rockchucker and Redding and Lyman and Hornady. They are all available in a kit of some type. Forster is the "Caddy" commercial single stage. Then you graduate to the arbor presses and specialty dies like Wilson. Each mfgr has some very good product features, each has some that are not so nice to use over others, some are a bit "gimmicky". Best to ask around at a range when you are there and see if people will show you their stuff and tutor you a bit on it.
Folks are usually pretty willing to help.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
So I've actually been looking at the Lee classic loader. Looks kind of slow but for my needs as I don't shoot my 30-06 all that often looks half decent. Pro's or cons on this one?
I hate to even think about all the 303 British shell i've loaded that way. if its just for hunting they work fine, but becuase they give you a dipper and a list of powders you can use. and that is the load your stuck with, no fine tuning but on the other side of the coin there cheap easy to use, usualy good accuracy for a hunting round but to get good target loads you almost have to tune the load to your rifle. but it works and it gets you started so when you upgrade you already have powder and bullets and primers. but it will get you started and then you can look aruond for second hand stuff like a scale then you can measure your powder out and fine tune your loads then comes press and dies after that the lee classic loader usualy ends up in a junk box to be given way to some relative.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM

the other thing I forgot to mention is look for a reloading manual as when you get a scale you will need one realy doesn't matter witch one you get as they pretty much contain all the same info.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM

Ya its pretty much for just hunting rounds. Im not going for any spectacular accuracy shooting. I actually just bought one of them and figure at $35, why not start at the bottom. I can almost guarantee you tho that I will be upgrading to the more popular kits as mentioned above sometime in the future.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

I'll tell you a little secret about the Lee turret press. It does have some play in the turret plate, which by most accuracy shooters is frowned upon. But, that bit of play allows some free float when seating. This translates to the seating die being allowed float to follow the neck's to determine concentricity. So, when I size casings, I shim the small gap between the turret plate and the press frame. But, when I seat, I remove the shims, thus allowing the seater to float according to the neck. The result is that when I check bullet concentricity, I get small numbers, the likes of half to one thou of runout. Otherwise, with my rigid frame CH press, the concentricity runout grows to 2 or more thou. Bottom line is what I'm saying is that cheap Lee turret press can work wonders for you as long as you know how to draw it's advantages and deal with it's inaccuracy issues. One of my mentors told me that I should throw it in the dumpster. But when I related the concentricity numbers to him, and how I achieved those, he relented and told me that no matter what tool I used, I should keep it up. My reloading bench is made up of a variety of equipment, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Forster, CH, Hornady. I have no particular attachment to any of them, I simply use which tool yields best results. I hope this was informative to you.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM

It was informative! Thank you. I love getting all the info I can from everyone here. You may laugh at me though, but the kit that I bought to start on was just that little lee kit. The one that comes in the little box no press involved. Thought that might suit my needs until I start shooting a bit more an learn more.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 PM

And to me as well, thank you evryone an to you hogi135 for asking te question

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
It was informative! Thank you. I love getting all the info I can from everyone here. You may laugh at me though, but the kit that I bought to start on was just that little lee kit. The one that comes in the little box no press involved. Thought that might suit my needs until I start shooting a bit more an learn more.
now that you got the little kit get started on looking for loading manual & scale then you can load shells as good as any one, just a little slower. for the normal hunter that dipper system is usualy gives decent accuracy so there is no real hurry for a loading manual or scale.but that shuold be your next major purchase after you get your powder,bullets, and primers.

Last edited by Lonnie; 05-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
now that you got the little kit get started on looking for loading manual & scale then you can load shells as good as any one, just a little slower.
Until you need to full length resize your cases, then you can't use them anymore. As to loading speed, the Lee loader is not just a little slower, it is a lot slower.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Until you need to full length resize your cases, then you can't use them anymore. As to loading speed, the Lee loader is not just a little slower, it is a lot slower.
don't discourage him and if he loads the cases that many times he probably have a press & dies by then. forgot to mention lee makes a nice case trimmer that's cheap and easy to use. like under 10 dollars.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
don't discourage him and if he loads the cases that many times he probably have a press & dies by then.
Just being honest with him, some people do not realize that the Lee Loader only neck sizes the brass, which also means, that picked up range brass often won't chamber in a rifle other than the one that it was fired in.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM

Oh I appreciate and understand how slow this system may be. I also appreciate both opinions. I'm also aware that I will only be able to reload brass I've already shot. As of right now I don't shoot a whole lot (yet, pending range membership) so I can reload the brass that I have now while learning, until I can get my hands on the more expensive equipment.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM

I forgot ask what action your rifle is as semi and pump actions require a small base die and full resizing of the case.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 PM

It's a bolt action
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
It's a bolt action
then your set to go post on how it works out or pm me if you don't want to post it. good luck and have fun.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. Will let you know how it goes when I get it here.