Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Tannins in Well Water

The hot tub on an acreage thread got me thinking about this.

I have been living on my acreage for over a year now. I knew I had smelly water with iron etc. in it, so I bought an iron filter, and all is good with that. The water no longer stinks and is almost totally fine, with the exception of I think I have tannins. I can see a very slight green/yellow color in the toilet bowl, and if I fill the bathtub, it looks like someone added antifreeze to the water. It has a definite green color. I filled my hot tub last fall, and it looked like dirty/brown water. Not cool. I also noted since day 1 that the dishwasher (and even washing dishes by hand) can leave what looks like big bad water spots on the glasses, and everything else for that matter. Tried TSP and rinse agents in the dishwasher, no difference. (TSP made a grand difference in the clearness of the glasses when I lived in town btw). I also have soft water here, it is quite nice other than the tannins.

Does anyone have tannins in their well water and what can be done about it? I have been looking at tannin filters, but don't really feel like spending the $1500 or so (+install) to get one, seeing as how I spent a small fortune on the iron filter already....

I also took my water in a year ago to get professionally tested so I could make the right decision for an iron filter, but I did not get a tannin test, because i didn't really know what tannins were, or that I even had them, or that I should have tested for them.

Any stories/ideas/suggestions? Can I get a filter that does it all?

Thanks all.

Mike
Old 01-16-2017, 07:37 PM

I thought tannin coloured water a brown color, and was a result of rotting plant life in non moving water on surface level. Like in a slough the water is still, and brown. The brown comes from tannin type thing. I have never heard of tannin from a well BUT could easily be convinced I was mistaken. I will keep an eye on this thread for my own information.

PS, Green color strikes me as algae or some Bacteria....obviously a guess. Have you had your water tested by the county?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:45 PM

Tannins can come from a well that is sourcing water through a coal seam.

Reverse Osmosis took the color out or my well water.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 PM

I just did a little reading. Short answer is yes could be tannins in a well.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

tannins are rotting organic waste entering your water well,try these guys

http://www.aclarus.ca/
Old 01-16-2017, 08:55 PM

If you have Tannins, count on spending about $10,000 to get rid of them. I've been in water treatment for over 10 years and have worked on quite a few tannin wells. Contact a reputable water treatment company and have them test your water to determine if that is what you have. Don't go spending money on filters and other stuff until you know for sure.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:06 PM

I have them in my water,it is very soft water with a little bit of a gassy smell.
I was told it was safe but I don't drink it.I have used it in the hot tub and it is fine.I was told by a water guy that it comes from a underground river and that it has a brown tinge from rotting trees.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
I thought tannin coloured water a brown color, and was a result of rotting plant life in non moving water on surface level. Like in a slough the water is still, and brown. The brown comes from tannin type thing. I have never heard of tannin from a well BUT could easily be convinced I was mistaken. I will keep an eye on this thread for my own information.

PS, Green color strikes me as algae or some Bacteria....obviously a guess. Have you had your water tested by the county?

Yes it was tested by the county; it is safe to drink, but i don't drink it. I worry that it might someday be unsafe to drink, but that's probably me over worrying the matter.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post

I have been considering RO, but not sure if that removes tannins (assuming tannins cause the color issue). I guess it would have to be a whole house system, not just under my kitchen sink if I want to fill my hot tub.

Do you have tannins that the RO system removes?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
If you have Tannins, count on spending about $10,000 to get rid of them. I've been in water treatment for over 10 years and have worked on quite a few tannin wells. Contact a reputable water treatment company and have them test your water to determine if that is what you have. Don't go spending money on filters and other stuff until you know for sure.
Aclarus told me the worst case scenario would be $5500
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba300 View Post
I have them in my water,it is very soft water with a little bit of a gassy smell.
I was told it was safe but I don't drink it.I have used it in the hot tub and it is fine.I was told by a water guy that it comes from a underground river and that it has a brown tinge from rotting trees.
Agreed, I don't drink my water either, but it is safe to drink. Packing water jugs gets old.

I suspect I can fill my hot tub with it, but soaking in brown water is not appealing.
And yes tannins are organic material. Tea is full of them, as are some wines. Cant be all bad!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 PM

RO will remove the tannins (RO removes everything. That's how most bottled water is purified)
Growing up, the only well that produced was full of tannins. (The water looked like iced tea coming out of the tap). We didn't drink it straight, but made kool-aid out of it. (It wasn't bad if you covered up the colour!)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
Agreed, I don't drink my water either, but it is safe to drink. Packing water jugs gets old.

I suspect I can fill my hot tub with it, but soaking in brown water is not appealing.
And yes tannins are organic material. Tea is full of them, as are some wines. Cant be all bad!
Fill your hot tub with your coloured water, and charge people to use your "Mineral bath".
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Fill your hot tub with your coloured water, and charge people to use your "Mineral bath".
Now you're on to something. I could make a mint on that. Organic stuff is in, right?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
I have been considering RO, but not sure if that removes tannins (assuming tannins cause the color issue). I guess it would have to be a whole house system, not just under my kitchen sink if I want to fill my hot tub.

Do you have tannins that the RO system removes?
Yes, whole house RO. $400 filter every year and a half. At $5 a jug I figure I probably save that much not buying water for cooking and drinking alone. Then factor in the maintenance on ice cube maker, washing machine, dishwasher, plumbing, etc.etc.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post

If your water is coming through a coal seam I'd also have it checked for heavy metals. Cadmium. Cobalt. Selenium. Uranium.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 AM

So the other side of this is that drinking Ro water should be reminded that it adsorbs softer chemicals in your body..things like calcium...I know health professionals who drink dis tilled water for "healthy reasons" which is kind of an oxymoron.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 AM

I had tannins in my water as well .I have a cystryn to hold the water after the well.I put a small air pump into the tank and let it run all the time.got ride of the color and cheap fix.oxagen is your friend