Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 AM

I actually don't mind The Last Frontier.
At least there is some variety amongst the players.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 AM

all those shows in my opinion
are made for those morons that are to socially inadequate to get along or make a living at a normal type of job
but cant collect welfare
so they had to come up with some sort of a way to make them earn a living
so raw tv made up those reality shows to teach normal people how not to become stupid people
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
You are right don't know why I typed life below zero. ..it has that wing nut Sue

Mack
Ya, sue is a nut case. Lol
Old 01-14-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Marty seems to be the only level headed fella on any of these shows...
Agreed.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:49 AM

I watched a bit of it one time ,I made it about 20 minutes and that was enough.
I like Alaska Last Frontier thow.Its not to bad for a reality show but they all are staged I am sure or there would be no entertainment value.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 AM

I liked Matt better when get was going to town getting drunk n beating up midgets
Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagelh View Post
The browns make the swamp people look like a Mensa chapter
Hahaha pure gold!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:33 AM

Default France road

Hilbillies
Old 01-14-2017, 10:55 AM

It's good comedy, that's about it. By that I mean laugh and shake head at the things they say and do. They always seem to have a emergency waiting around the corner. And their accent and own language hahahaha. Typical reality TV.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:07 PM

Default yeeeeaaauuupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
It's one show that I feel my IQ dropped after watching.

Can't do it again

The other shows based in Alaska don't bother me near as much as that family.
that's the point. That is why they want you to watch.
tindawolf is right, they are real.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:38 PM

Dad is supposedly a well accomplished author in his real life.

If I had those sons I'd write myself a how to book.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the laughs, guys. Really, the first page of this thread is good!

Shows like these is the reason I do not have a tv for few years now. Sorry, I have a tv, I do not have a cable. Netflix is the only thing I watch once in a while. And, to be honest, the only part I miss is hockey. Still able to watch some games online though.

The only one of these shows I watched was (probably) the first season of mountain men and I thought it was alright for what it was. Not the brightest bunch on the block, but it was alright. Definitely did not see the part where the dude flew for two hours for fifty pounds of meat

I also, indeed, remember when discovery and history chanels showed quality programming. Even TLC years ago was worth watching. Same goes for OLN. I guess they give people what people want. Shame. Look at a magazine/newspaper stand by the checkouts in any store. Same story. I don't know most of the people on the covers and don't really want to know who they are or their stories. But majority of us I guess does
Old 01-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I find it so sad how both Discovery and the History Channel used to be populated with quality programing that were usually factual AND entertaining.
Now it's like they've dumbed down to the outdoorsy person who also like to keep up on the Kardashian's
Kardashians is still on? I couldn't find it between all of the storage war/antique collector/liquidator shows.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 PM

I watched part of an episode a while ago and one of the boys was trying to figure out a way to put a chimney in from the main floor of the cabin up out of the roof. His solution was to lie on the floor with his rifle, in line where he wanted the chimney, and shot a bullet up through the ceiling. I couldn't watch any more after that.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
You mean that flying an airplane for a couple of hours to shoot a Dall ram for 50 lbs of meat isn't typical behaviour for the average Alaskan mountain man? The narrator said that Marty wouldn't survive the winter without that meat.
Marty is not on that show. Marty is part of the Mountain Men show. The guys on Marty's show would never associate with the phong Browns they are the real deal !
Old 01-14-2017, 05:39 PM

The show is all one BIG hoax. People will watch this kind of entertainment.

https://mic.com/articles/163943/is-a...ily#.HQkRAiEHQ

http://www.morningledger.com/alaskan...eved/13112145/

http://www.thebitbag.com/alaska-bush...tv-show/165488

http://www.inquisitr.com/3216802/if-...olding-steady/

Like mentioned, check out The Wild North on Youtube;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJeMMh5tWIA
Old 01-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Ya I started watching this show when it first came on. Thought it was an interesting story.....but after they left their first cabin because someone was shooting at them in the dark I started researching online. The family are basically a bunch of travelling gypsies and grifters who have been travelling around and looking for a place to squat since they burned their own cabin down a few years ago (they blamed it on the govt, but most think it was another of their scams)

The land that Browntown is currently on isn't even theirs. It was leased from the mayor of Huna by the production company that runs the show. The family spends most of their time living at Glacier Island Lodge (or something close to that name) in the town of Huna and they take a boat out to their land every day. There are several photos of them hanging out throughout the summer and winter. They usually spend their winters travelling the lower 48....but this past winter was spent in Juneau Alaska while Bam and Billy were on house arrest for defrauding the state and the mom had several dental surgeries to fix her rotting teeth. The kids are actually quite tech savvy.....they used to post youtube videos before the show started and Bam bam actually owns the domain rights for hundreds of websites.

It sounds like they arent very well liked wherever they go because Billy has had a string of bad or shady deals and whenever it seems that the deal is going south, Billy will just pick the family up and leave overnight.

I think its pretty obvious that the family doesn't actually know sh*t about surviving out in the wild. You just cant wear the clothes they wear and actually be comfortable in that scenario. I've seen them in scenes where they are bathing in the creek with snow everywhere and they get their long hair wet then just throw on a t-shirt and head out to the boat with no plans of getting dry. Or Bear claims that he sleeps in an open tree house every night with zero insulation and a few blankets.....I don't think so....not even in summer would that ever be feasible.

I now watch the show to laugh at how stupid they are. It is a different kind of entertainment now.......just watch that idiot Noah try and pick up girls by reciting medieval poetry and showing them his skills with a broadsword....its quite hilarious.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 PM

My favorite was when he was shooting without sights or scope on his rifle-I quit watching it after that.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Dad is supposedly a well accomplished author in his real life.
That's how the show came to be, the old man wrote a book called One Wave At a Time and that paved the way for the show. The original run copy's are suposto be VERY valuable. Apparently they are not very well liked wherever they go, especially where they film. If the old man had any sense at all he would take the money from the show and get those kids a stable home, some dental care and some proper education so they won't have to be gypsies like their parents
Old 01-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Girls only want boyfriends with great skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
I now watch the show to laugh at how stupid they are. It is a different kind of entertainment now.......just watch that idiot Noah try and pick up girls by reciting medieval poetry and showing them his skills with a broadsword....its quite hilarious.
Maybe he watched Napoleon Dynamite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsiiIa6bs9I
Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Jake View Post
I watched part of an episode a while ago and one of the boys was trying to figure out a way to put a chimney in from the main floor of the cabin up out of the roof. His solution was to lie on the floor with his rifle, in line where he wanted the chimney, and shot a bullet up through the ceiling. I couldn't watch any more after that.
Don't knock it until you try it...

My Dad and I used a .22 revolver, same thing. Works like a hot damn!!

As far as the show goes, can't watch it. No kidding your IQ goes down, and you start to howl....
Lol...
Old 01-16-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Jake View Post
actually , when i put in my wood stove i cut the hole in the ceiling and could not reach through the hole to mark the roof . the house has scissor trusses . so i marked the edges with a six foot level with a pencil taped to it and shot out the four marks . went on the roof and cut the hole . so yeah , that could happen !
Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
Ya I started watching this show when it first came on. Thought it was an interesting story.....but after they left their first cabin because someone was shooting at them in the dark I started researching online. The family are basically a bunch of travelling gypsies and grifters who have been travelling around and looking for a place to squat since they burned their own cabin down a few years ago (they blamed it on the govt, but most think it was another of their scams)

The land that Browntown is currently on isn't even theirs. It was leased from the mayor of Huna by the production company that runs the show. The family spends most of their time living at Glacier Island Lodge (or something close to that name) in the town of Huna and they take a boat out to their land every day. There are several photos of them hanging out throughout the summer and winter. They usually spend their winters travelling the lower 48....but this past winter was spent in Juneau Alaska while Bam and Billy were on house arrest for defrauding the state and the mom had several dental surgeries to fix her rotting teeth. The kids are actually quite tech savvy.....they used to post youtube videos before the show started and Bam bam actually owns the domain rights for hundreds of websites.

It sounds like they arent very well liked wherever they go because Billy has had a string of bad or shady deals and whenever it seems that the deal is going south, Billy will just pick the family up and leave overnight.

I think its pretty obvious that the family doesn't actually know sh*t about surviving out in the wild. You just cant wear the clothes they wear and actually be comfortable in that scenario. I've seen them in scenes where they are bathing in the creek with snow everywhere and they get their long hair wet then just throw on a t-shirt and head out to the boat with no plans of getting dry. Or Bear claims that he sleeps in an open tree house every night with zero insulation and a few blankets.....I don't think so....not even in summer would that ever be feasible.

A person can condition themselves to withstand colder weather. In their case, I would guess that it's just acting. When my wife first came to my place, I had the temperature set at about 50 or 55 F. Got a couple unbelieving looks when I hung out in the cold pool at the spa in Mexico for about 10 minutes too. They just didn't understand that my body was set for cooler temps.

And there are people that withstand much colder, consistently. I think the Browns are a bunch of actors though in just about everything they do.

I like a couple of the Alaskan shows, even though a bunch of them are phonies. It's like watching professional wrestling, except a little less honest.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!