Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 AM

Default Are Toyota Dealers Dealing?

I own two Toyota's now that I bought new. My experience has been only Wetaskwin has a slightly negotiable price. All other dealers have the attitude, "the price is the price."

I am looking at getting a Tundra in the next month or so and am just starting to look at what different dealers will do for me. I have been a little surprised at the change in attitude though. The first dealer I spoke with took a few grand off the price pretty easily, and I told him I am not buying right away.

Has anyone bought a Toyota recently? Is this attitude to haggling changing due to the economy?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

I bought a Tundra in 2014. I talked to a couple dealers in Edmonton and they both moved a couple grand I think. The one I bought it from threw in a spray in bed liner as well. (Sherwood Park)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:46 AM

I bought a 2017 Tacoma back in September. Got about $2500 off, and about $1000 in accessories. I bought from Kingsway, I don't recommend them, Mayfield was same deal, but no extra accessories. My wife had previously bought from Mayfield and no real issues. Live and learn. I would have rather paid for the accessories at Mayfield, knowing what I endured with Kingsway.

Love the truck though, and momma loves her Rav4. This is my first import truck.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM

Mayfield deals. Best luck was to call and get a price and shop it, Sherwood was playing The game too.

Bought my last Toyota with 10,000km though, better deal than new.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 AM

Was at Mayfield Toyota a week ago. Wife wanted to replace her Camry.

Did a bunch of test drives, sat down to deal, and got the ++++ treatment on all the extras. For instance, $295 block heater charge as that is extra, and then this $595 bundle, which included the block heater. Pointed out the double charge, and was told "that's different".

Anyway, went cold, got up to leave, salesman brought in the Manager, pointed out the garbage and basically was told that the price is the easy part, just figure out what we wanted to pay AND MAKE AN OFFER.

This is the same strategy that SATURN used to use. No competition, and no dealing. This is the price.

Anyway, get what you want pinned down, E Mail every dealership north of Red Deer with your price. When you start getting the calls ask them to confirm that they are accepting your Offer. When they tell you to come on down just stand firm.

When they call again saying that they can't sell the car on those terms, tell them to call the Western Canada Toyota Marketing manager and get Toyota to reduce its price to dealer.

Love the game playing,

Drewski
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I bought a 2017 Tacoma back in September. Got about $2500 off, and about $1000 in accessories. I bought from Kingsway, I don't recommend them, Mayfield was same deal, but no extra accessories. My wife had previously bought from Mayfield and no real issues. Live and learn. I would have rather paid for the accessories at Mayfield, knowing what I endured with Kingsway.

Love the truck though, and momma loves her Rav4. This is my first import truck.
I have been driving GM trucks for a longtime, this will be my first import truck too. I have an 09 Rav and 13 Highlander, and they have been bulletproof. It would be great to get the same reliability from a truck.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM

You NEED to find out which dealerships charge a flat rate to just look at your truck for warranty issues. Mayfield is one of these dealerships that do and will never get my business because of that.
In the last few years this practice seems to becoming common place here in Edmonton with dealers.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM

I bought a highlander for my wife last year. I had to go all the way to high river to get any sort of deal. tried every dealer from red deer to there and nobody wanted to budge.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyman41 View Post
I bought a highlander for my wife last year. I had to go all the way to high river to get any sort of deal. tried every dealer from red deer to there and nobody wanted to budge.
That's a little more like the reactions I got in the past. I wonder if it's that they are not as successful in the truck market?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:24 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, helps a lot.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:19 PM

Well, one again thanks guys.

$6k off sticker, a lot better than I expected to do on a Tundra
Old 01-27-2017, 02:26 PM

Sherwood park dealer like mafia.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post

Nice. Congrats on the new ride!
Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Default 6K off

Quote:

You're not going to say where that was?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I own two Toyota's now that I bought new. My experience has been only Wetaskwin has a slightly negotiable price. All other dealers have the attitude, "the price is the price."

I am looking at getting a Tundra in the next month or so and am just starting to look at what different dealers will do for me. I have been a little surprised at the change in attitude though. The first dealer I spoke with took a few grand off the price pretty easily, and I told him I am not buying right away.

Has anyone bought a Toyota recently? Is this attitude to haggling changing due to the economy?
Best way to save money, is to purchase near the end of the month, this is when dealers are trying to make quota! Just remember that, good informative service has value, make sure you give the person who served you best, the last chance
Old 01-27-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
You're not going to say where that was?
Sherwood Park

I was ready to sign with Drayton Valley and a manager randomly called me from Sherwood. I told him how close I was and he stole me away.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Here's another approach that often works if you do not have a trade.

This hard-ball method will keep you out of the Dealers sandbox and will avoid the games most of them like to play. . You deal from your perspective, at your pace , from your place and at a fair price you are ready and willing to pay....

Do your homework. Shop around.

Identify EXACTLY the model, color and every accessory you want included. If you saw a particular vehicle in a showroom, or on the lot, note the stock number and sticker price.

Be well aware of all Mfg and dealer promotions and warraties available.

Have your financing/ payment arrangements in order.

Decide what you are willing to pay as a final delivered price. ..all delivery charges, extended warranties (if required), delivery dates and all taxes etc included. Best to deduct the Dealers Document fees in your calculations as these are bogus, but be reasonable with your final tally.

When all things are considered and your decision is final, send the dealer you have selected an Offer to Purchase by letter or e-mail, suggesting you require a response within 48 hours. No timely response, try another dealer.

Don't entertain follow-up Dealer phone calls requesting that you come back in to re-discuss the selling price. That will cost you as they are definitely not going to offer you any additional discounts. Chances are they
will call again, confirming a deal.

On one new $47,000 vehicle purchase a few years ago I saved precisely $5068.00 on an identical vehicle purchase by sending an Offer to Purchase letter to an out-of Province Dealer.

Well worth the short flight.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Good advice Salavee, thanks.

Gonna be a while before I can use it though. I buy Toyotas on the 8 or 9 year plan.