Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 09:59 PM

Default Leupold bx-2 Acadia

Just wondering if anyone on here uses these binoculars, and curious if they are worth the coin? I know I may settle on something different than these after seeing them in store, but I was just wondering if anyone else had experience with them. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 AM

Default Like mine

I have had a set for 5 or 6 years they have treated me well and love the lifetime warranty
Old 01-02-2017, 03:57 PM

FOr the sale price posted on WSS for $219 with regular @ $349, I would jump on it.

I have Leupold binos and just upgrades in fall of 2015...only reason was I got a replacement pair from Leupold Warranty as my older set of Leupolds (that I used for 15-18 years) had a cracked plastic eye piece. SO my replacement pair is a Bak3 lense - Mojaves 10x50...love them
Old 01-02-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
FOr the sale price posted on WSS for $219 with regular @ $349, I would jump on it.

This is exactly why I wanted to know. I went down to wholesale this afternoon to look at them, and a pair followed me home. I will have to wait till I get a chance to try them out in the field before I can tell for sure if they'll be better than my cheap old tasco 8x42's. Man, I sure hope that a pair with a retail price of 6 times what I paid for the tasco, will be better!!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:49 PM

Congrats!! The value for the $$$ ...you will be happy.

I had a pair of Leupold OLympics 10x50 camo model...served me very good very years. I thought Leupold would just replace the couple dollar plastic eye piece that threads onto the body to hold the eye cup and I got the new BAK 3 Mojaves 10x50 in MOTS camo. They were just being released that fall....Love then .

I am tempted to buy the pair you just got to give to my oldest boy for a future BDay gift ... That way he isn't grabbing mine all the time.

I did buy my 2 boys (10/8) new binos each this fall and gave them to the boys at moose camp this fall. Ent want to spend a lot and WSS had them on sale for $110 each. Bushnell Trophy XLTs 8x32. Pretty decent glass I must say. My boys liked them . And being a smaller bino it fits them better right now.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 AM

Anything will be better than your old tascos

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 06:41 AM

I love my leupolds. Worth the coin in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Anything will be better than your old tascos

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Some of the old Tasco were made in Japan and of excellent quality for the day. The new Leupold should still be a significant step up, but don't throw out a good pair of Japanese Tasco.

It is amazing that WWS cant get their website working better. The search function is useless. If you search binoculars only a couple come up. Both the Leupold and Bushnell cant be found unless you track them individually. The same applies to searching decoys.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Some of the old Tasco were made in Japan and of excellent quality for the day. The new Leupold should still be a significant step up, but don't throw out a good pair of Japanese Tasco.

It is amazing that WWS cant get their website working better. The search function is useless. If you search binoculars only a couple come up. Both the Leupold and Bushnell cant be found unless you track them individually. The same applies to searching decoys.
Yeah, the search mode doesn't work very well. But if you go through the motions from the home page. Click on the hunting link, then hit optics, and then binoculars. They show all the binoculars there. You will just get frustrated trying to search for something on their website with the search function. That said, the bc-2 acadia link is featured right on the main page. I'm not sure if my tascos were made in Japan. They're only about 8 years old. Did notice right away that the leupolds are made in China though.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Banned

Oh China...That's a let down.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Oh China...That's a let down.
Yep, even after taking off $130.00 they're still probably making a profit.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Did notice right away that the leupolds are made in China though.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, they are in good company. Some of the best and most popular glasses are coming out of China now. Zeiss Terra, Pentax DCF, Bushnell, ZenRay, Nikon Monarch/Prostaff, Hawke, Celestron, Promaster, Eagle Optics, Vortex etc., etc., etc., all made in China.

I do believe the QC differs from brand to brand as does the manufacturing process adhered to. All glass is not created equal and what one company might consider a dud might be used by another. A person is wise to try several offerings from the same model as one example may literally out shine another. I was going to return my Legends as I found them on sale significantly cheaper but didn't want to roll the dice on quality as I have picked up a couple of pairs that were not as crisp as mine.

I know how you feel though. I waited for years to be able to afford a nice pair of Irish Setter boots and was sick when I read on the tag they were made in China. They are still kicking however after many years and miles and they are the best boots I have owned. I just picked up another pair of heavier insulated Elk Trackers for late season and they too are awesomely made in China.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, they are in good company. Some of the best and most popular glasses are coming out of China now. Zeiss Terra, Pentax DCF, Bushnell, ZenRay, Nikon Monarch/Prostaff, Hawke, Celestron, Promaster, Eagle Optics, Vortex etc., etc., etc., all made in China.

I do believe the QC differs from brand to brand as does the manufacturing process adhered to. All glass is not created equal and what one company might consider a dud might be used by another. A person is wise to try several offerings from the same model as one example may literally out shine another. I was going to return my Legends as I found them on sale significantly cheaper but didn't want to roll the dice on quality as I have picked up a couple of pairs that were not as crisp as mine.

I know how you feel though. I waited for years to be able to afford a nice pair of Irish Setter boots and was sick when I read on the tag they were made in China. They are still kicking however after many years and miles and they are the best boots I have owned. I just picked up another pair of heavier insulated Elk Trackers for late season and they too are awesomely made in China.
You have a good point there. It really depends on the company and manufacturer of the products when it comes to Chinese built products. I do own a zeiss terra 3-9x42 scope. And it is great. Clear, crisp glass that really collects the light in the dark conditions of the morning and evening. Not to mention I haven't had to Adjust it since I sighted it in a couple years ago.

I think the thing that bugs me about these products all being built in China, is that it takes away from jobs in North America. You're buying merchandise from Canadian, American and European companies, who are shipping their contracts to China to save money and boost their shareholders profits.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You have a good point there. It really depends on the company and manufacturer of the products when it comes to Chinese built products. I do own a zeiss terra 3-9x42 scope. And it is great. Clear, crisp glass that really collects the light in the dark conditions of the morning and evening. Not to mention I haven't had to Adjust it since I sighted it in a couple years ago.

I think the thing that bugs me about these products all being built in China, is that it takes away from jobs in North America. You're buying merchandise from Canadian, American and European companies, who are shipping their contracts to China to save money and boost their shareholders profits.
It bugs me as well, especially when it is involving price gouging. Originally companies went over seas to gain a competitive edge by offering very low prices. Now the prices are high and we are stuck with no alternative products to buy.

Surely the people in Red Wing Montana could make a good hunting boot called Irish Setter with a $300+ price tag and still turn a profit. They seem to do okay with the Red Wing branded work boots that are still made there.

There are also boots made in Canada of exceptional quality that are not marketed in stores. The leather boots made in Quebec are carried by Sears but not in store. Big Al wool products are another excellent product that you have a hard time finding although made in Canada.

Obviously, as long as we put up with it, it will continue and those of us that want to stop buying Chinese are left with few choices. I would love to have some top of the line Swarovski or Zeiss glasses but not on the cheques I am cashing. I can either buy Chinese or do without.

There was a video on the news last night of Beijing and the smog rolling in. There is better air quality inside a burning building. We are forced to pay a carbon tax to save the environment and our only option is to buy from dictators destroying the planet and it's own people.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
It bugs me as well, especially when it is involving price gouging. Originally companies went over seas to gain a competitive edge by offering very low prices. Now the prices are high and we are stuck with no alternative products to buy.

Surely the people in Red Wing Montana could make a good hunting boot called Irish Setter with a $300+ price tag and still turn a profit. They seem to do okay with the Red Wing branded work boots that are still made there.

There are also boots made in Canada of exceptional quality that are not marketed in stores. The leather boots made in Quebec are carried by Sears but not in store. Big Al wool products are another excellent product that you have a hard time finding although made in Canada.

Obviously, as long as we put up with it, it will continue and those of us that want to stop buying Chinese are left with few choices. I would love to have some top of the line Swarovski or Zeiss glasses but not on the cheques I am cashing. I can either buy Chinese or do without.

There was a video on the news last night of Beijing and the smog rolling in. There is better air quality inside a burning building. We are forced to pay a carbon tax to save the environment and our only option is to buy from dictators destroying the planet and it's own people.

I hear you on that one, it's pathetic! There really are no other options out there that are made at home. I could always save for a set of Swarovski or zeiss, but I have other things that are more important to me, and my style of hunting. Glass gets used more at 3-d archery shoots, than any time hunting. If I'm upland bird hunting, I don't even bring them. Bow hunting, I always bring them, but rarely use them. I actually use them quite a bit while rifle hunting. I don't like to aim my gun at anything that I'm unsure of, and with the increased range of rifle hunting, I tend to watch the things off in the distance a lot more. But for me, I don't need a $4000 pair of binoculars. I could buy a lot of other gear for that amount of cash. I feel like $230 was enough. That will keep me busy for many years.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:50 PM

I have a pair of 100 dollar 8x25 Leupold that served me well for years. I am mostly a bird hunter as well and generally hunt deer in the bush. The last couple of years my eyes are getting bad and I need to do more glassing. The 8x36 Legend Ultra HD will serve me fine for the years I have left and still fit in a pocket.

I am not that fussy however, big and mature is all I am looking for in a buck, number of points or score is not a big deal. Once I see big Whitetail with antlers, rifle is up and deer is down.

Those Leupold will be all most of us will ever need or want. Unless scanning the mountains for hours on end for sheep etc. there isn't a lot to gain from the upper end stuff.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:54 PM

You're much fussier than me then. I'm a meat hunter first. I will shoot a big deer if given the opportunity. However, I work out of town and don't get much time in the field. Therefore I don't hesitate to let arrows or bullets fly at does or smaller bucks.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 PM

Anyone else on here take advantage of the sale?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
But for me, I don't need a $4000 pair of binoculars. I could buy a lot of other gear for that amount of cash. I feel like $230 was enough. That will keep me busy for many years.
Same here! I'm too clumsy and forgetful to buy really expensive gear.

Quote:
Anyone else on here take advantage of the sale?
I did!

For the coin, they are a superb set of binoculars. At that power, you need a steady hand if you're glassing for longer periods.

The only thing I don't like about them are the cummy lens caps. The ones on the front are always slipping off. But that's minor, IMO.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:59 PM

I'm not too fond of the lens caps either, I'm thinking about getting a Nino harness with the pouch on it, like the badlands bino holder thing. Then I won't need covers! Right now I'm just rocking an old butler creek harness from my other binos.