Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 12:49 PM

Lightbulb Pheasant Hunters Wanted!

Hi guys, we still have some space open for teams if anyone is interested in joining us for our first annual Highway 41 Pheasant Festival OCTOBER 22, 2016.

This festival is hosted by the two communities of Consort, AB and Oyen, AB in East Central Alberta. There will be 30 quarters of land in prime pheasant habitat.

Teams are $1650 (including GST and fees) and you can have as little as one hunter or as many as six hunters on a team. You can also have two dog handlers on top of the six hunters.

Each team will hunt a private quarter section of land where 40 pheasant roosters will be released. This is an all day hunt from 10am-4pm with a banquet to follow (tickets included in registration).

There is also INDIVIDUAL REGISTRATION ($250). Sign up as a single hunter and we will put you on a team with other individuals to hunt 40 roosters on a private parcel of land.

This festival is hosted by the two communities of Consort, AB and Oyen, AB in East Central Alberta. There will be 30 quarters of land in prime pheasant habitat.

The Highway 41 Pheasant Festival Association is also a non profit, any proceeds from the event will be going towards local community projects such as the Consort Pool, and a playground in Oyen. We are also hoping to do a spring hen release as a conservation effort for pheasants in the area.

If you are interested feel free to visit our website for more info.
www.highway41pheasantfestival.com
You can also email or give us a call if you have any questions.
highway41pheasantfest@gmail.com (403)575-1604

Thanks guys! We are hoping we can get enough teams to make this an annual event!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:19 PM

Well promoted at the Brooks BCOC pheasant derby but many of us will still be in Taber that day.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:11 PM

Make it Peasants and I'm in.

Grizz
Old 10-13-2016, 01:29 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
First post, and your asking for money. No mention of what winner wins.
Hmmmm...........

If this is legit, good luck.
Pheasants of course , and after a Pheasant dinner with peas and gravy
Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 AM

Sounds like a great day, if there was a category for guys with St. Bernard's and defender shotguns I would be all over this!
Hope this event catches on!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:51 AM

I wasn't aware of this until now!
Too bad, other plans have already been made.
Cat
Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM

I really hope that the event succeeds, and is held again next year. Events like this are great for increasing interest in pheasant hunting in Alberta. It's a shame that so many potential participants are not even aware that the event is taking place, or that they are finding out on such short notice.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:22 AM

This is a legitimate event. Maybe our mods could get rid of the naysayer comments. The prize is pheasants for dinner during the winter, and knowing you had a part in helping create new hunting opportunities for Albetans.

There are 21 team spots left according to the website. Sign up here.
https://www.canadianbadlands.org/cbl/hwyhunt/step2.jsp

It was my understanding that hens "would" be released in the spring, not "may" be released. Could you clarify this for my ksimp464, thanks.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Banned

Sorry guys. My attention was on Oilers/Flames, and I might have misconstrued this thread.
No offence intended to the organizers of this event. Hope you have a good turnout and weather is fair. We don't see many Pheasant derby's around here.
By the way, the entry fees don't seem to add up properly. 6 team members at 250.00 add up to 1575.00 with gst .
Old 10-13-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Sorry guys. My attention was on Oilers/Flames, and I might have misconstrued this thread.
No offence intended to the organizers of this event. Hope you have a good turnout and weather is fair. We don't see many Pheasant derby's around here.
By the way, the entry fees don't seem to add up properly. 6 team members at 250.00 add up to 1575.00 with gst .
He did mention other fees, so there may be other fees besides the gst.

Quote:
Teams are $1650 (including GST and fees)
Old 10-13-2016, 12:06 PM

If it's "prime pheasant habitat" I wonder how many wild birds will get caught up in this?

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-13-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If it's "prime pheasant habitat" I wonder how many wild birds will get caught up in this?

Is there even a significant wild population in the area?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Is there even a significant wild population in the area?
I don't know, if it is prime pheasant habitat I would assume so.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-13-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know, if it is prime pheasant habitat I would assume so.
I hunted that way a number of years ago for the entire bird season and never came across a single pheasant. Plenty of sharpies though. Prime habitat doesn't necessarily mean the wild pheasant are there, just that they could be. Hopefully this festival is a start to getting wild populations established in the area.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:55 PM

Its sad to see people cutting it down and or assuming that it is a bad thing. I grew up in the area and there is prime pheasant habitat there. I heard about this hunt about four months ago. It has been on FB for just as long and in the papers. Maybe the organizers are not on AO. If you pencil it out, its pretty close to what Stettlers cost if you factor everything in. So I will do my part and participate in it in hopes that next year it happens again. It is a great time when you can hunt over a dog and have a chance at that many pheasants. If you factor in what it costs you for the 6 wild pheasants you are allowed from the AB Govt each year, hunts like this are cheaper per bird than hunting wild ones.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
There are about as many wild pheasant in that area as there are anywhere north of the Red Deer River - zero.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:19 PM

Default Oh

As a guy who doesn't take part in these, are they like fishing tournaments where a permit is required from F&W, so that wild pheasant(which sound almost non existent) and other game birds are not decimated by the influx of hunters?
For instance, is there any rules that you cannot shoot other species while partaking?
Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
Its sad to see people cutting it down and or assuming that it is a bad thing. I grew up in the area and there is prime pheasant habitat there. I heard about this hunt about four months ago. It has been on FB for just as long and in the papers. Maybe the organizers are not on AO. If you pencil it out, its pretty close to what Stettlers cost if you factor everything in. So I will do my part and participate in it in hopes that next year it happens again. It is a great time when you can hunt over a dog and have a chance at that many pheasants. If you factor in what it costs you for the 6 wild pheasants you are allowed from the AB Govt each year, hunts like this are cheaper per bird than hunting wild ones.
X2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
There are about as many wild pheasant in that area as there are anywhere north of the Red Deer River - zero.
That is correct there aren't many if any wild birds in the area.

Full Curl, what difference would it make if there was a wild bird taken? The limit is 40birds per group, that's how many are being released. I'm going to guess at least 1/3 of those will escape. Adding 13 birds for every team into the area can't be a bad thing can it? That's kind of the point for the whole event, get some seed stock out into the area in hopes the birds will establish.

As for the OP being a guy, I'm guessing you are wrong. She is a young lady that works for Special Areas.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-13-2016, 02:00 PM

Default Oh

I think putting a lot of pressure on the "wild" birds, which are a bit heartier, isn't good. But as you said, there isn't a great population.
You never commented on whether other birds can be taken? Or if permits are required?
And I have no clue what your talking about regarding a guy or girl running the event, and not sure what that matters.
Don't want to derail, just not familiar with how these work, if it results in some birds maybe one day breeding then great, I would like to hunt those birds one day.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:49 PM

Default sharptails are open as well as huns

so with a game bird license participants could shoot both species if they want.
hen pheasants and sharptails are tough to differentiate by inexperienced shooters in the air but if the license for ground release is the same as mine hens are shootable on the preserve (ground release lic.) tough to see a band on a bird flying away.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:46 PM

The event has its own license, like wwbirds says.

Only quarters that are approved by the geese police can be used.

As said before there are basically no wild pheasants in the area.

The young lady comment was directed at someone else.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Hi guys,

As many of you have guessed, I am brand new to posting on AO but have watched and read discussions for years. And as others have guessed, I am a girl, whatever that has to do with anything, I hunt and fish just like the rest of you. I am a volunteer apart of the Highway 41 Pheasant Festival Association from Consort, AB.

Other info:
-yes there are virtually no wild pheasants in the area anymore but we are in a great area with prairie coulees and creeks that work well with pheasants according to F&W.
-this year we are restricting the hunt to pheasants only, in future years we hope to open it up to grouse and prairie chickens in the area but to make it easier for our first year we wanted to stick with pheasants.
-our shooting ground license for the event allows our hunters to hunt pheasants without needed additional licenses like a game bird license. However this only applies to the exact quarters of land we use the hunt and only for the single day of the hunt.
-before going ahead with this event we've researched and consulted other pheasant events in area including Stavley, Brooks and Stettler to see how they run things and charge hunters. That is how we arrived at price and our format.
-as far as advertising goes, the Canadian Badlands has been advertising since this spring in newspapers, magazine and on social media but we do feel we aren't reaching as many hunters as we would like hense my post on here.
-when we originally booked our date for our hunt, we thought Taber was during the week so we chose the weekend. Unfortunately they chose to extend their hunt to the Saturday, which took away some potential teams and we don't blame them because why no hunt for free!
-because we were under capacity for teams I posted on here to see if there was anyone interested last minute, I wish I had thought to post on here far earlier but that's the way it goes. At least maybe a few of you will know for next year.

Thank you guys for your input. Please keep us in mind for future years. We are newbs at this so we like to hear things we can do better! If you have have any more questions or would like more info you can check us out on our website www.highway41pheasantfestival.com
Old 10-18-2016, 05:55 PM

Default Thx

Thanks for the info, it dispelled many comcerns.
Hope you have a good turnout.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the info, i to had no idea how these shoots work. I will add i like the idea of pheasant only since it is a pheasant only release. Good luck with the shoot. Also the whole guy or girl thing who gives a damn about that. thanks again for all the info.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:35 AM

Thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors and landowners who made this hunt a success!

A big thank you to my team mates who brought the dogs! Watching them work was the absolute highlight of my day. Thanks Cavindish72, Double Shovel and Larry, big thanks to Quinn for being the dog handler! Great comraderie with the rest of the team NBK and Gary. .

There were a few growing pains I've heard, but most seem to have been dealt with by the committee and from what I saw things went off without hitch. It was good to see Organizers out stopping in for a quick visit with the participants, asking questions and getting input for next year. I couldn't imagine trying to organize that many people between 2 communities 60 miles apart, excellent job folks. Once again a big thanks to the organizers!

I'm certainly looking forward to next year, my wife has even mentioned I should get a dog.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 PM

Hmm, we must have missed one!

This feller is smarter than most, he's found a steady source of feed. They sure are nice to see around. Maybe tomorrow he won't eat so much he can't run.

I was looking at the ACA website today and they have a raise/release program running with 4H. When my 4H'ers got home tonight we discussed it and they are gung-ho to get some birds to raise and release!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Hmm, we must have missed one!

This feller is smarter than most, he's found a steady source of feed. They sure are nice to see around. Maybe tomorrow he won't eat so much he can't run.

Well he might as well eat and get fat because he has no ladies around to tell him he is wrong
Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Not yet, hopefully I can find him a few lady friends.

Tags
hunting, pheasant, pheasant festival, pheasant hunt, pheasant release