Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Somthing Different....Pig Hunting Down Under...

I just got back from a trip back to my native country Australia.. whilst down under, I felt the urge to call up a few old mates and head to the hills for a good old fashion pig hunt.. Dogs and Knife only.. In Australia as I read in an article online described it as “hunting feral pigs in Australia is a national past time.” I grew up catching and hunting pigs and there is no better adrenaline rush than running to the sound of your dogs barking that have bailed up a big boar.

My mate replied with a “hell yeah” when do you get in, and before I could answer he was in my driveway, dogs loaded, permission granted and we were on our way.. A short 10 minute drive around the corner from our family farm, we had the dogs breast collars and tracking collars on and we were all set for a great evening… We pulled up to a hayfield, and to our surprise a single black and white spotted boar stood under a Gum tree staring right at us.. We let the dogs of in pursuit, but the rascally critter had a good head start back to his safe haven and the dogs got hung up by the ring lock fence, till I got there to pull it up and let them under, but it was too late they lost the scent and we never did catch up with spotty.. A little farther up the hill, another pig ran right in front of the truck and into the thick tea tree scrub.. Again we let the dogs of and tried to pick up the scent but just wasn’t meant to be.. We moved to another property some ½ hour away to try it out by a freshly harvested Oaten crop. We had a couple of exciting jumps, however night one unsuccessful..

That wasn’t going to be good enough, so couple of nights later we loaded up and headed out again, checking the same paddocks we hit the first time round.. Spotty nowhere to be seen. Pig number two, made a mistake… about 7.20pm he must have set off to go and get a drink form the dam, dogs got a whiff of him, jumped straight of the ute, and we watched them run up the hill in front of us. We slammed the ute in park and set out on foot towards the barking and squealing…What a rush, the dogs had bailed and lugged onto our first pig of the night. Good little young healthy boar.. After a round of High 5’s and hooting and a hollering, we took our photos, gutted him and headed off to the second farm for round two.

We got to the second farm after dark and started to work the fields we had got the jumps the previous night. Once again, Dogs jumped of and were in hot pursuit on a scent trail.. they ran through cows, kangaroos, and whilst following them we thought they were chasing the roos, when all of a sudden, the paddock was chaotic with pigs… we had busted up a mob.. The dogs didn’t know what to go for as pigs were scattering in all directions, big ones, small ones and mid-size ones and in assorted colors’. We figure it was a mob of 10 – 15 . The smell was really strong and we ended up with a smaller spotty boar out of that hit. Another round of high 5’s and we set of again to run a few more paddocks.

We came across a fence line and in the distance with the trucks spotlights, spotted about 5 good healthy mature pigs.. Unsure of the farmers boundary, we phoned the farmer at 11.40pm at night, explained our location and we were in luck it was his paddock.. we found the gate and made a big loop of this paddock.. Boom, dogs jump off and away they go… we followed best we could in the bumpy terrain with the Hilux with both use of the tracking collars and general direction the dogs were headed. Bark, Bark Bark, Squeal, Squeal Squeal, Ripper. We hit another…Dogs did a great job finding these pigs, and we hit our third of the night… Good healthy sow.

For good measure we went out one last time in between my tight schedule to another unsuccessful evening.. we did come across 3 pigs but again were screwed up by a fence and the pig got through and the dogs got hung up.. Once the pigs crossed the creek the scent was gone.

I jumped on a plane to come home the next day and the second I land in Vancouver my phone dings with photos and videos.. The boys went out the night I left and smashed Spotty and two other good pigs.. Murphy’s law..

Great bloody time and if you get the chance to ever hunt this way DO IT… Or contact me and I’ll arrange it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7117.jpg (43.2 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7311.jpg (44.2 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7317.jpg (106.6 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7423.jpg (78.5 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7436.jpg (40.8 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7446.jpg (76.2 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7471.jpg (60.4 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7727.jpg (61.3 KB, 376 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 PM

Great story and nice pics. Looks like a blast.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:50 PM

Looking at the choppers on the black in picture 7 -- just how long a pole do you tie your knife to?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Beautiful country. Sound slide good times were had by all. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Has anyone heard about Taurus Wild Boar Hunting Contest?

13 – 19 August 2017
***The team with the greatest total weight of up to their five heaviest boars over 150 pounds wins the main competition
GRAND PRIZE
1st place will be awarded $30000
2nd place will be awarded $20000
3rd place will be awarded $15000
Included in your entry is a chance to win two additional side pots for
***Largest Boar ($15000) and Longest Cutter ($15000)***
Old 01-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Good stuff, well done.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:25 PM

Great write up. Looks like an adrenaline rush for sure.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned

Awesome! What kinda shiv are you guys usin?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:01 AM

Good story, nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:14 PM

Fantastic write-up and pictures. I really enjoy reading your posts.
Thanks, and congratulations!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:11 PM

Default International hog contest

Anyone heard about an international hog hunt contest?

New Mexico Hog Hunt contest has been cancelled for this year. And will be replaced with an international hog contest.
TAURUS
WILD BOAR HUNTING CONTEST

13 - 19 August, 2017
DEADLINE TO SIGN UP IS May 31st
***$250 Late Fee Jun 1st – Jun 30th***

The team with the greatest total weight of up to their five heaviest boars over 150 pounds wins the main competition.

GRAND PRIZE
The team with the 1st greatest total weight will be awarded $30,000.00
The team with the 2nd greatest total weight will be awarded $20,000.00
​The team with the 3rd greatest total weight will be awarded $15,000.00
​Largest Boar will be awarded $15,000.00
​Longest Cutter will be awarded $15,000.00

Can be killed anywhere at Taurus mountains as long as it’s weighed within the 24 hour time allowed after kill.
NO Trapping!
NO Boar Dogs!
NO Helicopters!
NO Fenced!
NO Turkish membered teams
Teams ONLY from: AUSTRALIA, GERMANY, FRANCE, ITALY, RUSSIA, SPAIN, UK, USA
1-3 Person Maximum for each team + Baycomard’s guide
You can only win one place, not 2, or all 3-