Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2017, 01:14 AM

Default 527 elk

Making the trek north this year for a few days of late season cow elk hunting. Have obtained some permission in the area but pending heard locations will be a crap shoot. Any one else in the area having any luck and seeing any animals moving?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarie_boy1 View Post
Making the trek north this year for a few days of late season cow elk hunting. Have obtained some permission in the area but pending heard locations will be a crap shoot. Any one else in the area having any luck and seeing any animals moving?
I've been hunting 527 for several years now, and have only seen elk twice - once was a bull in a farmers field end of Dec but only had a cow tag (lots of snow) and a cow once in early season half a mile away on the run.

They get very heavy pressure all season and are a tough hunt at the best of times. In 527 they go completely nocturnal that I have seen and there's your problem. You have to find where they are holed up in the day, and then stalk into them. Or get into their bedroom well before daylight and hope that they come back there that day, and that it's legal light when they get there.

Next guess would be to call the local F&W and ask if they know of any farmers that have elk problems. And call them often cuz things change and they get busy. Also talk to as many of the locals that you can and maybe they'll have some ideas. Also remember that when elk get spooked out of an area they often don't return for many days if at all.

Tough area, tough hunt, hope you do well. On your side, there are lots of elk up there, getting on them is the problem.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:37 PM

Default 527

Check your PM
Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 AM

Got skunked on early season cow elk in 527, saw 2 cow elk in early October and that's it. Good luck, if you need or want a hand with anything, shoot me a PM, if I'm on days off and able to I'll come out.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:59 PM

Elk have been hard to come by, i hunted the whole early season and saw 1 elk. Just got to find the right place