Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 01:02 PM

Default Long Hikes in wading boots (Simms G3 Guide Boot)

I am looking to buy a new pair of wading boots and have a question.

How good are the Simms G3 Guide boots for hiking? Say you were fishing somewhere where you had to hike 14km could you wear them the whole time? Or would you recommend a pair of hiking boots and a pair of wading boots?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 PM

I've got a pair. Good boots, but no way I'd hike 14km in them. Remember, they have to be big enough for wader neoprene booties, so they aren't going to fit like a good pair of hiking boots. Not a ton of tread either. Not like a good vibram sole.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:14 PM

I regularly hike and fish 12-14km total per day in a pair of G3s . Don't know about hiking 14k and then go fishing though, I'd be more inclined to wear hikers and switch to wading boots for that.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:29 PM

I have hiked a river a long ways in my boots while fishing and I also wore them when hiking in for Golden trout since it was raining and everything was sopping wet.

Ultimately it comes down to the person, are the shoes comfortable enough for you. Mine are good enough for some pretty good treks but they definitely aren't as comfortable as my shoes are. But if I have to carry an extra pair of shoes that is extra weight too so it all depends on the situation and person if it is worthwhile.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:38 AM

I can usaully walk pretty long distances in mine, but that's if you account for the numerous times i stop to fish. I've also used them to hike steep slopes, and they are less than optimal. As with the others, I feel like they wouldn't be outright replacements to dedicated hiking boots.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:31 PM

ive hiked in mine far distances up slopes down slopes over fences and logs. love them, they have some nice ankle supports that i don't get from my cheaper simms.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:43 PM

I have a pair of boots that are fine for hiking... however I wore my waders out in the heal area from too long of hikes.