Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 PM

Default Fort Mcmurray Trappers

Hey guys Mark-Edmonton lost everything in the fire. I've decided to send him a few 5 inch Sauvageau conibears to help start rebuilding his trap supply. The number of traps will be determined when I know who else lost their traps.

I could also spare some Senneker 1/16 snares.

I thought I'd post this and maybe help him out. Obviously there are bigger things to worry about right now than traps but this will give people some time to consider it. When he's got a place to stay again I'll send them to him.

If you're a contributing member of AO and lost it all in the fire post here and maybe we can help.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Banned

Great idea, TFNG! I don't have a lot of extras but I can make and donate some colony traps to anyone who's lost a bunch of traps. If time permits I may be able to make some submarine traps before Fall as well. It would be my pleasure to help if I can.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

I've got 30 or more wolf snares, 3 cases of Belisle 120's, some plasticfisher boxes and some miscellaneous I will throw into the pot.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:00 PM

I just sent 2K through our Church. If there is a need for trapping supplies let me know
Old 05-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I just sent 2K through our Church. If there is a need for trapping supplies let me know
The Wife and I sent 10K to the Red Cross specific to the Ft. Mac relief fund. Glad to know the Province and Mop Head are matching those donations.

Of course trapping supplies are secondary to first level donations but at least some people have lead the charge on that as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Hey guys Mark-Edmonton lost everything in the fire. I've decided to send him a few 5 inch Sauvageau conibears to help start rebuilding his trap supply. The number of traps will be determined when I know who else lost their traps.

I could also spare some Senneker 1/16 snares.

I thought I'd post this and maybe help him out. Obviously there are bigger things to worry about right now than traps but this will give people some time to consider it. When he's got a place to stay again I'll send them to him.

If you're a contributing member of AO and lost it all in the fire post here and maybe we can help.
I have a ton of wolf snares I can throw in as well as a dozen 120's, lynx snares and some lures, i can throw in a few bridger # 9 wolf traps as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 PM

Very generous offers so far, I almost feel guilty about how little I can contribute. I did make a small donation to the Redcross but money's tight for me right now and I've been trying to think of a way to help. I figured I could part with some traps and not be out cash.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
The Wife and I sent 10K to the Red Cross specific to the Ft. Mac relief fund. Glad to know the Province and Mop Head are matching those donations.

Of course trapping supplies are secondary to first level donations but at least some people have lead the charge on that as well.
Awesome Job Martinnordeg. My hat is off to you Sir. I heard tonight that there was something like 30 million plus sent in to Red cross.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Very generous offers so far, I almost feel guilty about how little I can contribute. I did make a small donation to the Redcross but money's tight for me right now and I've been trying to think of a way to help. I figured I could part with some traps and not be out cash.
TFNG this is for you bud
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...ark+12%3A41-44

It's not the amount that counts.......
Old 05-07-2016, 02:39 AM

This is a very overwhelming experience. I was able to get my wife to leave work and get my kids out of town before the mass exodous hit! I am a Fort mcmurray firefighter and have been here working min 20 hr days since day 1! I sincerely appreciate all the kind gestures and donations being made to my community. As I said, I am a local firefighter, I was on duty the day this all began! I am thankful that my family is safe down in Edmonton while me and many others try to hold the line!

I did loose everything. Even my teddy bear that I had since birth.( my mom was diligent at saving memories) The worst part was watching my own home go up in flames and turn around to try and save someone else's. But for me this is no time for emotions as I cannot afford them yet! I need to keep focused and keep my head in the game.

Thanks guys for your support. It truly means a lot!
Mark

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 05-07-2016, 04:06 AM
Banned

Man After a fire like that can a fellow have anything left to catch? I would think not? Other than rats and some beaver perhaps BUT those are of no value.That area will be a wasteland for sure. for a few years before vegetation starts again!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Glad you could donate. It doesn't matter how much they all add up and any donation is a great gesture.
As in Nube's post 30 million already. If that's matched by the Province and again by the Feds it will sure help. There are alot of people affected so the dilution factor is very high.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Man After a fire like that can a fellow have anything left to catch? I would think not? Other than rats and some beaver perhaps BUT those are of no value.That area will be a wasteland for sure. for a few years before vegetation starts again!
Not all bush is burnt yet! My line is still ok as of right now anyway

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 05-07-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Not all bush is burnt yet! My line is still ok as of right now anyway
The fire was 25km from Flight01's line yesterday.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The fire was 25km from Flight01's line yesterday.

Don't know where his line is yet but fire is south and east of suncore! And heading east.

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 AM

Mark, I was touched by your Teddy Bear, it reminded me of a fishing trip into Namur Lake with Syncrude Social club a few years back with my 8 year old son Mark. He was one of only 3 that caught a Lake trout. All the grown guys staying with us were patting him on back and congratulating him. Just as we entered the cabin he spotted his Teddy bear on top of his sleeping bag, ran like heck and stashed it into his bag so the other guys would not see the great fisherman had brought his bear.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:13 PM

Can't lie, it's been a tough week and I am physically and mentally exhausted!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 05-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can't lie, it's been a tough week and I am physically and mentally exhausted!
Hang in there, Mark. You're doing incredible work. Stay safe.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:27 PM
Gone Hunting

I still have some trapping supplies and tools from my trapping days. Most are obsolete but some would be of use and some current.

I also make a awesome split stretcher for Fisher, Lynx and Coyote. I have some boards already cut, just need to make some of my hinges and assemble. I will try to finish those and make some more.

I won't promise the boards, I have my own issues, but the rest of the stuff will be available. I've been looking for a home for it anyway. I will never trap again. I can't.

I know I have some snare making supplies, cam locks, crimp sleeves, ext.
I did give some stuff to a fellow from Edmonton a couple of winters ago.

And I have knives. More then I will ever use. Not sure what else I have.

I don't know how I could get it to a Fort Mac trapper but I would be happy to see it get a new home.

I had booked a table at the huntmainia show that was supposed to happen this weekend. Of course that has been postponed.
I talked to the organizer and he said he plans on running the show later but I can't see that happening. If he manages it, I'll be there and I'll bring whatever I have to give with me.

In the mean time. I am offering two of my camera mounts to anyone from Fort Mac that would like to try them.
They will be free of charge, I will even eat the shipping costs.

You can email me at;

carcajoumounts@abnorth.com

The mounts can be seen on Pinterest at;

https://www.pinterest.com/jameshtupper/my-product/

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-09-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
This is a very overwhelming experience. I was able to get my wife to leave work and get my kids out of town before the mass exodous hit! I am a Fort mcmurray firefighter and have been here working min 20 hr days since day 1! I sincerely appreciate all the kind gestures and donations being made to my community. As I said, I am a local firefighter, I was on duty the day this all began! I am thankful that my family is safe down in Edmonton while me and many others try to hold the line!

I did loose everything. Even my teddy bear that I had since birth.( my mom was diligent at saving memories) The worst part was watching my own home go up in flames and turn around to try and save someone else's. But for me this is no time for emotions as I cannot afford them yet! I need to keep focused and keep my head in the game.

Thanks guys for your support. It truly means a lot!
Mark
Mark,

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. People like you are what makes us proud. My family are safe in Edmonton . We can only imagine what you are going through. As of last update our house and neighbourhood are safe.
I want you to know anything you need , just ask. There's a lot for you to process. But if you do get out trapping this year I will give you all my traps and snares. I don't have much. Secondly, I may not have a line after the wildfire moves through. I'm south of Anzac.
Again, we are forever indebted to you and your men