Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Banned

Default Dealing with Rumours

Seven tips for leaders to reduce the impact of rumors:

Intervene quickly when there is a rumor and provide solid, believable information about what is really going to happen. It is best to have this intervention before the rumor even starts, but it is essential to nip the problem as soon as it is detected.

Coach the worst offenders to stop. Usually it is not hard to tell the 2-3 people in a group who like to stir up trouble. They are easy to spot in the break room. Take these people aside and ask them to tone down the speculation. One interesting way to mitigate a group of gossipers is to go and sit at the lunch table with them. This may feel uncomfortable at first, but it can be very helpful at detecting rumors early. Just as in fighting a disease, the sooner some treatment can be applied, the easier the problem is to control.

Double the communication in times of uncertainty. There are times when the genesis of a rumor is easy to predict. Suppose all the top managers have a long closed-door meeting with the shades pulled. People are going to wonder what is being discussed. Suppose the financial performance indicates that continuing on the present path is impossible. What if there are strange people walking around the shop floor with tape measures? There could be a consultant going around asking all kinds of probing questions. All these things, and numerous others, are bound to have people start speculating. When this happens, smart leaders get out on the shop floor to interface more with the people. Unfortunately, when there are unusual circumstances, most managers like to hide in their offices or in meetings to avoid having to deal with pointed questions. That is exactly the opposite of the most helpful suggestion.

Find multiple ways to communicate the truth. People need to hear something more than once to start believing it. According to the Edelman Trust Barometer for 2011, nearly 60% of people indicate they need to hear organizational news (good or bad) at least three to five times before they believe it.

Reinforce open dialog. If people are praised rather than punished for speaking out when there is a disconnect, they will do more of it. That mechanism is a short circuit to the rumor mill. It also helps build the trust level, which is the best way to subdue the rumor agents.

Model a no-gossip policy. People pick up on the tactics of a leader and mimic them on the shop floor. If the leader is prone to sending out juicy bits of unsubstantiated speculation, then others in the organization will be encouraged to do the same thing. Conversely, if a leader refuses to discuss information that is potentially incorrect, then it models the kind of self control that will be picked up by at least some people.

Extinguish gossip behavior. This may mean breaking up a clique of busy-bodies or at least adding some new objective blood into the mix. It might mean having a "no BS" policy for the entire team.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:56 PM

Good post Dave , hope others are willing to follow some good advice .
Old 04-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Banned

Hunterdave , Im not sure what you are alluding to , but I suspect it could be the snare post; Why not set your mind at ease and e-mail : fic.canac@gmail.com . or phone 613 231 7099
And ask him yourself in person to see if there is a concern? .
Old 04-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Banned

Hi Dave. Why did you feel it necessary to post those tips?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 AM
Banned

Wow, I'm not sure why anyone would take exception to this thread, I guess if the shoe fits......

Parfleche, rumours and fearmongering are virtually non-existent in this area and some of us would like to keep it that way. Tip #1:

"Intervene quickly when there is a rumor and provide solid, believable information about what is really going to happen. It is best to have this intervention before the rumor even starts, but it is essential to nip the problem as soon as it is detected."

If rumours and fearmongering are a problem in your area then I suggest YOU call that phone number because it's your problem to deal with not mine. In saying that I'd like to refer to tip #4:

"Find multiple ways to communicate the truth. People need to hear something more than once to start believing it. According to the Edelman Trust Barometer for 2011, nearly 60% of people indicate they need to hear organizational news (good or bad) at least three to five times before they believe it."

By my count this will be the third time posted by two different people.....The Pres and the VP Of the ATA met with the Minister and they reported that the tone of the meeting was very positive and the Minster left a positive impression on the group.

If you chose to believe someone else with their own agenda then that's your prerogative.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:35 AM
Banned

Dave , I never said the sky was falling , I did say we had better clean up our act as a group , And don,t waste your time posting all that management gibberish for my benefit , One thing I always take with a grain of salt is anyone in a position of authority ! They always have an agenda and it,s not usually for my benefit!
If you post vague post , you should explain them for everyone . Now it appears everyone is picking on Dave , And he IS entitled to his opinion ! Right or wrong , time will tell .
Dave , another tidbit here : IF a politician tells you something , consider it not worth the time to listen , Words Like : LET ME BE CLEAR etc are usually B.S LOL
So Dave I,m NOT picking on you , , it,s your opinion and you are entitled! good of you to stand by it , Myself I will measure the depth before I leap!
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Dave , I never said the sky was falling , I did say we had better clean up our act as a group , And don,t waste your time posting all that management gibberish for my benefit , One thing I always take with a grain of salt is anyone in a position of authority ! They always have an agenda and it,s not usually for my benefit!
If you post vague post , you should explain them for everyone . Now it appears everyone is picking on Dave , And he IS entitled to his opinion ! Right or wrong , time will tell .
Dave , another tidbit here : IF a politician tells you something , consider it not worth the time to listen , Words Like : LET ME BE CLEAR etc are usually B.S LOL
So Dave I,m NOT picking on you , , it,s your opinion and you are entitled! good of you to stand by it , Myself I will measure the depth before I leap!
No one said the sky was falling, It was just a conversation about issues with snaring and what we should do to be proactive so we don't lose it, apparently to one simpleton that called spreading rumors.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

A story, a conversation, people's twist, hence perhaps the beginning of a rumour, with enough following it becomes the truth to some...so it is written!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...