Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
I tried for 2 years to buy a fully insulated Large Flip Over in Canada a few years ago . They weren't fire rated for Canada at the time . I accidently found one in Hamilton . The guy at the store they said it got shipped by mistake from Frabil . I bought it over the phone and had it shipped .

I'm pretty sure I talked to the same shop in Ontario, was this November 2 years ago? At the time I couldn't justify an extra $400 for insulated but now I wish I did. I ended up with a locally bought Frabill Ambush DLX, it's pretty good but started losing the inside coating on the first year and gets some pretty good condensation on cold days.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:47 PM

Default Poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
I got the Fat Fish 949 insulated from Cabelas on sale with free shipping. Only used it once so far. It's pretty good ( better than I expected) except the poles are a bit long and bow out a bit. The bag for it is nice and big and you can actually get the thing back in there quite easily.

This one is red but the insulation helps block out the light from getting through and it is dark enough to see down the hole
I have one as well, in my 2nd season and it is great. I sent eskimo an email and pictures about the poles and they sent me another set 1/2 an inch shorter and it is much better. It still bowes a tiny bit but by the time it stretches out after lots of use they will be perfect. Nice thing is now I have an extra set of poles that I can cut down when needed!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:52 PM

I have two. The cheap Eastman Outdoors blue one from Costco (which works well to date, but admittedly has seen somewhat limited use) and an Eskimo Quickfish 6iT that I bought from Cabelas on a Boxing Day sale in 2014.

I've used the Quickfish on two trips to Sask so far with the most recent being this New Years.
Pros:
- Size is great as I have 3 kids. I can fit 4 people inside pretty easily.
- Holds heat well with a Buddy Heater, even in -20.
- Double doors is nice for access.
Cons:
- Weight. It's a heavy beast compared the Ice Cube from Costco.
- Some of the black coating inside was starting to crack, so hairlines of sunlight coming through the red outside fabric. Still dark inside though.
- Tough to get back in bag when really cold. Condensation freezes on the insulated roof, making it really stiff. An extra few inches of cloth in the bag size would help a lot.
- I had an issue this last trip with one rod pushing through the end of the "pocket" in the corner of the roof/wall. It looked as though the end wasn't stitched properly.

At this point I want to give a shout out to Cabela's customer service. I called them when I got home, explained the situation as well as the age of the unit. They exchanged it for a brand new one with no questions asked.

If I had to do it all over again I would look at the flip style shelters on a sled base. I think they offer a lot more rigidity and strength, as well as easier to pack your stuff up and pull it to the next area. That said, it's harder to find one that accommodates 4 people and they are definitely more money.

SS
Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
Do the red or blue colored shelters block enough sunlight to use for fishing whitefish where it is more of a sight fishing experience that feeling the bite? I would think some thing black in color would be better but what do I know.
My tent is blue on the outside and black on the inside - it is uninsulated yet I can see down the hole just fine. I'm sure a totally dark tent might make it easier but I'm not 100% sure you absolutely need a total blackout tent to effectively sight fish (as long as the direct sunlight is blocked).
Old 01-04-2016, 01:20 PM

I would probably go with a black tent if I had the choice, simply for the added solar heat. The sun seems to warm the black ones up more than the red (Eskimo) or blue (Costco) ones that I have. Most of the colored ones have a black lining inside which helps cut down on light. At least until it cracks or peels off.

SS
Old 01-05-2016, 02:27 PM

Not too hijack from the OP but if anyone has a flip style or sled type shack for sale shoot me a pm.