Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2015, 08:55 PM

Default Wabamun lake

Hello gentlemen,
Is anyone fishing wabamun? Thinking about trying it this week.
I'm looking for a spot to walk on can someone recommend a spot for me.
Heard right in town is good. How crowded is it these days?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:24 PM

Default Wabamun lake

I drove my pickup on at Fallis about 4 days ago. But you can walk from shore to the "Fallis Fishing Grounds" as well if you choose.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:13 PM

I honestly can't say I would drive my half ton onto fallis. The ice is barely thick enough and certainly isn't consistent enough. I was there a week ago and it varied 3 inches only 6 feet apart.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:20 PM

Was there yesterday ice was 10inches
And pulled out a lot of fish
Old 01-01-2016, 09:44 PM

I was out there and drilled about 20 holes in lots of different areas. Nothing was under 17". Probably 2 dozen trucks out there.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchwalleyepikewhitetail View Post
Was there yesterday ice was 10inches
And pulled out a lot of fish
Where did you find only 10" of ice on Wabamun? I am just curious - probably an area worth noting to stay away from.

A few people I know where out there (a few different spots) and reported 16" to 18" of ice ......... even 20" .....
Old 01-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Default last 2 days

fished out at fallis 1oo hards apart one spot actually closer to shore 8 inches other farther out 12 inches, couple guys going 5okm probably 200 meters from me and the ice was cracking hard under my tent, one car drove 20 feet from me too, i walked out
Old 01-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Default whats with the skinnies

saw lots caught some and anyone else noticing the pike have big heads and bodies like a garden hose, Im thinking time for some investigating by the scientists, no perch seen, some walleye caught and 1 white,I think this lake is changing
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
saw lots caught some and anyone else noticing the pike have big heads and bodies like a garden hose, Im thinking time for some investigating by the scientists, no perch seen, some walleye caught and 1 white,I think this lake is changing
The pike started getting skinny after they introduced the walleye. To much competition for food. They had a nice trophy pike fishery starting, then they had to mess with it and screw it up.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 01-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Default old timers what dou say

my understanding is it had huge walleye back in the day, anyone fish it in the 70's 80's before and after the power plant and warm water discharge, like to hear how it was back then, and with the human pop. being less, and netting, maybe that all had something to do with it?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Where did you find only 10" of ice on Wabamun? I am just curious - probably an area worth noting to stay away from.

A few people I know where out there (a few different spots) and reported 16" to 18" of ice ......... even 20" .....
Well that's just means I'm kinda by a water flow and some what warmer
Water (where those 30lbers like to hang out) and I'm not that lazy and don't mind to walking. So Ya 10 inches ..... I will take pictures tomorrow for you
Old 01-03-2016, 09:48 PM

Gonna headset to Wab tomorrow will update the thickness at Fallis
Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchwalleyepikewhitetail View Post
Well that's just means I'm kinda by a water flow and some what warmer
Water (where those 30lbers like to hang out) and I'm not that lazy and don't mind to walking. So Ya 10 inches ..... I will take pictures tomorrow for you
The warm water discharge "where the 30lb like to hang out" has been decommissioned and torn down now for at least 4-5 years. Alberta Environment ordered the eventual shut down about 10-12 years ago I believe.

There is the Sundance plant, on the south side, with water discharge, but it's definitely not nearly as warm as the old plant was. The lake near the old plant would not freeze over and there would be weed growth year round.

Regarding Sundance - where I think you are talking about - I haven't fished there on the ice - but it would stand to reason the ice would be thinner due to the flow of water. During the spring and fall the area is 3-4 degrees warmer for sure - but definitely not nearly as warm as the old plant I think.

Either way - I will be sure to stay away from that area. I have heard a few stories about trucks going through on the south side not far from Sundance.

It's good for us to share this information so people can be safe.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
my understanding is it had huge walleye back in the day, anyone fish it in the 70's 80's before and after the power plant and warm water discharge, like to hear how it was back then, and with the human pop. being less, and netting, maybe that all had something to do with it?
Never had huge walleye ever. Only had walleye because of the stocking that took place at that time.

"only anecdotal reports suggest that walleye were an
incidental species in Lake Wabamun. Fishery monitoring (both commercial and sport) failed to record the catch of any walleye during the 1970s and 1980s (Glen Clements, personal communication). During 1983 to 1986 (inclusive), approximately 12 million walleye fry were stocked in Lake Wabamun (Berry 1992). Although the stocked walleye did create a minor, localized fishery (concentrated in the Wabamun Power Plant effluent) for a few years, the fish failed to reproduce and the fishery collapsed (Watters 1991)."

Last edited by cube; 01-03-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
The pike started getting skinny after they introduced the walleye. To much competition for food. They had a nice trophy pike fishery starting, then they had to mess with it and screw it up.
100% agree with this.

It's a simple fact that walleye will have a bigger impact on pike because they compete for forage and food versus the walleye that become meals themselves.

And yes, over the last few years Wabamun has changed quickly, dramatically and, unfortunately, for the detriment of what was once Alberta's premier trophy pike lake.

5 years ago walleye were a rare myth like a unicorn, now you will catch dozens of walleye in a day and smaller, much skinnier pike.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
X3
Old 01-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Never had huge walleye ever. Only had walleye because of the stocking that took place at that time.

incidental species in Lake Wabamun. Fishery monitoring (both commercial and sport) failed to record the catch of any walleye during the 1970s and 1980s (Glen Clements, personal communication). During 1983 to 1986 (inclusive), approximately 12 million walleye fry were stocked in Lake Wabamun (Berry 1992). Although the stocked walleye did create a minor, localized fishery (concentrated in the Wabamun Power Plant effluent) for a few years, the fish failed to reproduce and the fishery collapsed (Watters 1991)."

Found this..... Who knows...
Old 01-04-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Yup, what a waste, looks like another walleye fishery.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:06 AM

Went out to Wabamun today, fished from noon til 330pm. At the end of rr43 just out front of the sailing club, was in about 10 ft of water with over 16'' of ice and we managed 2 pike. First fish was 37'' and second was 27'' unfortunatley no scale but they didnt seem all that skinny to me looked healthy. Jigged a bit looking for walleye with no luck. Thats the first time in probably 6 or 7 years that i've been out there, seemed a little slower than it was before but still happy to see some decent fish still there.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post

See talking moose quote below This was a reintroduction of walleye. Wabamum had a good population of walleye in early 1900's I hunt with a buddy whose 69 and was born by Lake isle and his father and grandfather homesteaded wabamun in late 1890's. He tells me that what knocked out the walleye was the huge commercial fishery for lake whitefish in wabamun. Apparently the whitefish from wabamun where in huge demand in the US east coast and were netted and shipped east by the thousands. Walleye were a incidental catch but the heavy commercial netting put a big dent in both populations.
And thats the other half of the story.
Gord
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
So true....
Couldn't just leave us a good pike fishery,they had to destroy that too.