Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Default New Weatherby fan checking in!

So a couple weeks ago I ordered up a Weatherby Vanguard from Bashaw sports. Its a 223 with a heavy barrel in their "soft touch" stock. It took 2 days to get it from Bashaw to my door in Calgary, I cant say enough good things about that place! At first look I was impressed with the feel, fit and the finish of the gun and heavy barrel is pretty sweet!

Last week I mount the bases (Burris tactical) and scope (Bushnell Legend 5-15x40mm with a mildot reticle, that I bought off another member here). Everything was mounted and torqued and rings lapped with my new Wheeler scope mounting kit.

Got it out to break and sight in yesterday at The Shooters Edge. On the third shot I was dead center at 25 yards then shot for a while at 50. My last 5 shot group out of the gun looked like a 3 shot group that I could have covered with a dime. This was with American Ealgel ammo, so I cant wait to find a handload for it! I am very impressed with this gun! I really like the action and bolt release, like I said the I am impressed with the fit and finish. I think the stock will be great in the field.

So next time I am in the market for a new rifle Weatherby will be right at the top of my list.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Welcome to the club. I bought my second Weatherby last weekend from Bashaw sports. Its a Vanguard S2 Carbine in .308 win. I havent shot it yet, but if it shoots half as good as my vanguard in .22-250, you wont hear me complain. Love the feel of the new stocks, and the addition of the adjustable trigger was right on the money.
Cheers
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mm08 View Post
Welcome to the club. I bought my second Weatherby last weekend from Bashaw sports. Its a Vanguard S2 Carbine in .308 win. I havent shot it yet, but if it shoots half as good as my vanguard in .22-250, you wont hear me complain. Love the feel of the new stocks, and the addition of the adjustable trigger was right on the money.
Cheers
Yeah I need to read up on the trigger in my Vanguard and see what I can do with it. I was not unhappy with it out of the box, way better than the one on my Axis that I had to get a Rifle Basix for. but there is a little more creep than I would like and it is a bit heavy as well but nothing a small adjustment couldnt fix.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM

The Howa made Vanguards offer great value for the money. The triggers are perhaps the only weakness, and some of them are not easily adjusted.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Yeah i also have a weatherby vanguard mine's in .308win it's a great gun!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM

I've had my synthetic blued 30-06 vanguard for over four years and have loved it ever since so I got another in .223 and paid dirt for it too.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Default vangaurd

Love my S2 in 270,gonna get me a 243 S2 next.