Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Default .35 Remington

Does anybody have one?Tell me what you like about it and the don'ts.Would rather have it or a 30-30.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM

My dad used one for years when he guided, He always said it was like a 30-30 magnum, great for moose up to 200yds. still debating on getting one to use on bears over a bait. I think I also read somewhere that remington chambered it in a pump gun back in the 50s and that at that time it was a very popular cartridge.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 AM

Smile Brush bucker

One of my best army buddies used one of these when we were posted to New Brunswick back in the early 80's. It was a pump. Where we hunted long shots were 100 yds and most were 40 or less in pretty heavy bush. He was shooting 220 or 240 gr round nose and this thing would chop down small trees without being kicked off course. It was a great gun for that type of close country hunting. Not sure how good it would be in open prairie though. What I do know is that anything he hit never made it more than about 20 yds max and most times a lot less.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM

I am pretty sure I would rather have the .35 Rem.I could share some bullets with my .35 whelen and just the fact everybody has a 30-30.According to some ballistics charts the ft lbs is not much different than a 30-30 but the wound channel.I just wan't one for camp and the odd cowboy action shoot and for plinking gophers around the yard here and there.I read yesterday that yes it was built in a pump.