Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2021, 11:41 AM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season?

Mid-October seems like a good time for this sort of post. Someone always seems to start one of these with a table covered in new toys every Spring and Fall. And you usually can get a hot tip on a product you weren't aware of. So here goes..

I'm not posting a picture. I really have most everything anyways tbh. I did pick up an ActiveTarget so I can see if Lowrance's software updates have caught up to Garmin's LiveScope (looks promising based on some YT videos put out during the summer). I love my Livescope, and will probably just keep it to have both. But I hardly wet a hook this summer I was so busy mapping Sturgeon Lake, and I need to run Lowrance or HB to take advantage of all that work.

Despite not being a big fan of underwater cameras for the swamps that qualify as lakes in Alberta, I have to admit I did have fun with my Marcum 385c chasing perch in March before a windstorm blew it off the seat on my Otter and broke the case. After several calls back and forth with Aqua-Vu, TFH, and Cabelas, I gave up any hope of being able to get a Quad HD any time before January (50:50 not at all this season), so I picked up an HD10i Pro Gen2 during TFH's summer sale.

The only item I'm still hunting for is one of Otter's Pro-Tech rod cases. They sold out before November last season. But after somehow breaking a brand new TUCR in a Flambeau Rod Bunk the first time out last season, I really want a 48" case.