Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Songbird???

Default Songbird???

Whats with this. They have this little board in Fish Creek park here in calgary
Old 03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
farmer

Thats too funny --- I havent heard much more than them squawking, and usually at 4 in the morning.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Duffy4

"Bird songs are certain vocal sounds that birds make—in non-technical use, those sounds that are melodious to the human ear. In ornithology, bird 'songs' are often distinguished from shorter sounds, which may be termed 'calls'."

I guess "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "a song is in the ear of the listener"

Robin
Old 03-14-2007, 09:54 AM
FiveO

Well said Duffy. I like the old magpies they stay around in the winter not like the majority of other birds. Sure they make a hell of a racket when the sun comes up put thats why they are called a chinese rooster as my grandpa called them.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:44 PM
re

Default re

I guess you guys don't know what kind of destruction magpies do. If there was only one left on the face of the earth, I would shoot it!! The only good magpie is a dead magpie.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Canmoron

Default Re: re

Hey Buck,

I know what magpies do for a living, and I still admire them as a smart, resourceful, and attractive native bird. If they were over-abundant to the point where they were endangering a population of another wildlife species - sure, knock them back a bit. But in my opinion, wiping out any species isn't appropriate.

Same goes for great horned owls, various hawks, golden eagles, badgers, coyotes, skunks .... all which prey heavily on 'game' birds.

Andrew
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
101sonny

Quote:
I guess you guys don't know what kind of destruction magpies do. If there was only one left on the face of the earth, I would shoot it!! The only good magpie is a dead magpie.
:lol :lol :lol :lol anyone in the out doors hunting or fishing ect. surely dose know what a magpie dose and truely you have expressed your true hatered for them

(If there was only one left on the face of the earth, I would shoot it!! )Ok :rolleyes or (The only good magpie is a dead magpie.) many would say the about most wild life etc a good deer is a dead deer in the freezer moose ,deer ,elk well you know ??? what i cant understand is why you didnt just come out and say you hated migpies.:\
Old 03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
nafegavas

Saskatchewan Pheasant.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 PM
magpies

Default magpies

The Magpie is extreemly smart and resourcefull but definately not a songbird.Most birdhunters, farmers, and other outdoor folk have seen the way they rob SONGBIRDS nests.They have been shot, trapped poisened and persecuted for as long as I can remember.Someone saying they would shoot the last one is meerly a figure of speach,you can be sure of one thing though a Magpie would not hesitate to take the last newly hatched Robin from a nest.As for me I will kill as many as I can in order to save as many of the other birds as possible, in fact Magpie hunting is very challenging, far more than shooting an unsuspecting ground squirrel,( AKA Gopher) I haven't shot one for years, although I killed thousands prior to that,just my opinion Buckman.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Canmoron

Default Re: magpies

Not wanting to belabour the point, but a magpie *is* a songbird - in the manner the original interpretive panel indicated. 'Songbirds' is a common reference term grouping families of birds together, including the Order Passeriformes - also known as 'Perching Birds'. This 'Order' includes many 'families' of birds - some (such as the Family Corvidae - jays, crows, magpies, and Family Sturnidae - starlings) that we wouldn't consider good songsters. Nevertheless, they are classified as 'Songbirds'.

(and I'm sure that to others of their species, what seems like squawks to our ears might be the sweetest of melodies to theirs!)

Other than Songbirds we have birds grouped into other common names, such as 'Waterfowl', 'Raptors'(birds of prey), 'Shorebirds' and so forth. There are many other inconsistencies in this arrangement. Just as a magpie is a 'Songbird' that doesn't 'sing', a killdeer is a 'Shorebird' that is often found remote from shores!

Andrew
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 PM
varmitr

Default oh yah

i say they sound more like the ex-wife, and yes sometimes at four in the morning, same dreary sound,, naga ngagagga agggg agggg agggga naggg nananagggg, nagggg nnnnagggg
all i can think is were is my gun, one shot will silence them for a while.:rollin :rollin :rollin
naggg naggg