Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM

Default recoil pads

so i just bought a tikka t3 lite 7mm. it says he comes with a rubber recoil pad allready. does anyone know how good the one that comes with it is or should i invest in limbsaver one that everybody talks about on here?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM

The recoil pad on the T-3 isn't very good... it has hockey puck-ish qualities. I haven't changed the original on my T-3 yet, but I will probably eventually get a Limb Saver.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 AM

the 7mm shouldn't kick to hard, i'd shoot it first before spending money on something you may not need.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 AM

Sims Pre-Fit Recoil Pads: Tikka T3 / Sako 75

this is the only one i see on SIR is it the same as limbsaver or would i have to buy the limbsaver somewhere eles?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 AM

The Limbsaver will make the Tikka way more pleasent to shoot, it will add about 3/8' to your lenght of pull mind you.
Money well spent regardless.
I put one on my 7mm-08, although already a pretty tame caliber, the pad provided a whole new level of comfort to shooting the rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Cut the stock to maintain corret LOP (unless you want it lengthened), and go with the pachmayer decelerator instead. Much better recoil pad.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned

Chuck, why do you consider the Decelerator better than the Limbsaver or Sims, which I thought were the same, anyway? I have a few Decelerators on hard-kicking guns and like them very much, have never tried the others, except Kick-Eez, which I prefer on my .375s and .458WM.

BTW, mail just came with NULA info., thanks a lot, this is very kind of you and I owe you one. Gawd, now I want one of those things!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 PM

The Limbsaver is very affective. However it is not nearly as durable, and from experience they will tear. My pachmayers on the other hand have taken abuse like champs. Most recently I used my rifle as a staff whill wandering over a boulder strewn ridge with 110lbs of sheep on my back. I cringe at the thought of doing that to a rifle, but under the circumstances it was necessary and quite possibly lifesaving. The paint on the stock took an awful beating, but the decelerator doesn't show any ill effects. At all.

Chuck
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM

I do upwards to 30 recoil pads a year for fellas.
I prefer to use a decelerator for ease of installation, but the Limbsaver and Keck-eze are more effective pads for recoil reduction.

Some pads are softer than others and can be a bit troublesome for some fellas to grind.
grinding problems can be lessoned by going to a metal type grinding belt
( blue zerconia) available from Lee Valley - these are blue instead of the standard black looking belts.
I use a bit finer grit than a standard belt, and this makes grinding Limsavers a lot easier.
some people say to put the pad in a freezer first, but I find that more hassle than anything and I've never had a problem grinding them with a zerconia belt.
One tip that many people do not realize is that to keep things cutting well, you need to keep the belt clean.
This is done with a crepe rubber block.
this also extends the life of sand paper and belts dramaticly.
Cat
Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Yup.

I have one of the limbsavers and it takes some of the sting out but the mounting holes didn't match up quite right and it looks like crap.

I know looks are only skin deep but I would prefer something like Cat is talking about that actually fits the rifle well too. If money is the factor then the limbsaver is probably the way to go.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM

well money isnt an issue being able to put thoes ones that take modifing on properly without fooling it up is another thing lol. but yes i would like it to look nice not just jerry rigged together lol
Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I have 3 Limbsaver on Sako's 7 Rem Mag, 7STW ,338 Win Mag and decelerator on custom 7 STW.
I like Limbsaver better very good fit and durability is least of my concern ..my shoulder is..

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM

I think everyone has made some good points. I prefer the sporting clays decellerator for a hunting rifle. They have good recoil reduction and don't catch your clothes when quickly mounting to your shoulder. The limbsaver I had did work excellent at recoil reduction but, I didn't like the way it caught my clothes.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermilk View Post
well money isnt an issue being able to put thoes ones that take modifing on properly without fooling it up is another thing lol. but yes i would like it to look nice not just jerry rigged together lol
Incoming PM!
Cat
Old 08-29-2008, 07:05 PM

"Incoming PM!"

I was hoping you'd do that!

Having someone that knows what their doing install your recoil pad is money well spent I'd say!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:36 PM

it's a shame that we cannot keep a full time gunsmith going in a town with so many hunters and shooters in it, with many making well over 125K a year, but it is a sad fact.

That being said, I treat AO and CGN members the same as I would a long time buddy!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-29-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
Yup.

I have one of the limbsavers and it takes some of the sting out but the mounting holes didn't match up quite right and it looks like crap.

I know looks are only skin deep but I would prefer something like Cat is talking about that actually fits the rifle well too. If money is the factor then the limbsaver is probably the way to go.
Some black silicone and some rubber cut with a 22 case for a plug fixes up screw holes nicely.
Cat
Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 PM

I put a limbsaver on my T3 and it matches up perfectly. It tames my 270 wsm quite a bit.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cut the stock to maintain corret LOP (unless you want it lengthened), and go with the pachmayer decelerator instead. Much better recoil pad.
I am pretty sure the T3 stock is hollow, can't be cutoff easily.

The R3 or limbsaver pad is very good, I think does a bit better job on recoil than the decelerator, but it's very good as well. CAt put a limbsaver on a 6.5 300 wsm for me and it sure helped.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbns View Post
I am pretty sure the T3 stock is hollow, can't be cutoff easily.

The R3 or limbsaver pad is very good, I think does a bit better job on recoil than the decelerator, but it's very good as well. CAt put a limbsaver on a 6.5 300 wsm for me and it sure helped.
Depending on how short you cut the stock you can sure run into problems, yes!

However, there are ways to anchor the screws in hollow stocks.
That was a .264 win Mag that i did for you, wasn't it Martin?
Cat