Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 AM

Default G' Day

G' Day Lads,

I have just found the site, looks pretty good so far so I thought I would say "Hi".

I currently live in Australia but have just secured a job in Alberta, I will be living just south of Edmonton and my work should have me travelling all over the place.

I have a few questions regarding Bowhunting and would appreciate any feedback.

It appears that there are plenty of animals around but how much of the Province is Crown Land and is hunting permitted on such Crown Land?

Also, how difficult is it to gain permission from Land Owners around Edmonton for Bowhunting, I know over here it can be tough?

Last one, Are there any good Bowhunting/Archery Clubs around Edmonton, preferably on the Southside (Nisku, Beaumont, Devon Area)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Cheers Noel
Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 AM

Howdy!
I think Trophy Book Archery is close to Devon.
As far as animals and hunting goes, check with the archery shops and clubs near you when you get settled, the Alberta Bowhunters has a website I belive, and thye will help you out , no sweat.
Many of them are on this site, but likely not up yet ( wimps!)
Unfortunatley,I'm too far North to offer you any help....
Cat
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM
gopherslayer

Welcome mate!!!

Just to add to what cat said, here is the link to the alberta bowhunters forum.

http://www.bowhunters.ca/forum/
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 PM

G' day Lads,

Thanks for the info, I have already checked out the Alerta Bowhunters site and I will chase up some clubs & shops as soon as I hit town.

Thanks again.

Cheers Noel
Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 PM

As far as clubs go, I think you'll have 3 to choose from. Sherwood Park Archery Club, Parkland Bowbenders, Capital Region Archery Club? (it's a spot shooters club).

As far as ranges go, I think Pipestone Creek has a 3D range too. Can't speak for Parkland but I know if you're a member at SPAC there's range access there in the summer. Another option if you don't mind driving is the Brazeau Bowbenders in Drayton Valley, they run a 3D range for members in the summer. To the south in addition to Pipestone Creek in Millet there's also 2 clubs in Red Deer. Ponoka Fish & Game had a range at one time but I'm not sure if it's still active. It's been a while since I've heard of a shoot being held there.

I can't speak for access issues though, I live 180 miles south east of Edmonton so it's not high on my list of places to hunt.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 AM

I am a member of Capital Region Archery Center and Parkland Bowbenders.

Capital Region has an indoor range with 24/7 access for members and an outdoor FITA Range as well.

Parkland has an outdoor range with 24/7 access and we have a 50 yard Target range and we set up 2 3D courses every summer. During the winter we have one set up.

Sherwood Park has a FITA range, 3D range and also access on club nights to a local pro-shop to shoot indoors once a week.

Welcome to Edmonton and if you want to come for a tour of Parkland and give it a go as my guest.... shoot me a PM when you land here....
Old 04-05-2008, 04:28 PM

G' Day Lads,

Thanks again for the info.

Nekred, I will be sure to give you a shout when we get settled.

Cheers Noel
Old 04-06-2008, 05:05 AM

Congrats o the job, and welcome to Alberta.

As for for your other requests. Getting permission in the immediate area around Edmonton is getting more and more difficult, due to the number of archers. But the only way to go is to try.... I'm sure there is a few spots left. If you leave the bow zone, there are still plenty of deer. And its easier to get permission, especially when you are a bowhunter, something about bullets flying across farm yards bothers some farmers... Go figure

As for crown land, if you are willing to drive, you can hunt pretty much all of it. Very few exceptions, but just have to adhere to the rules for some areas. Just follow the whats listed in the regs, and all will be fine.