Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Finger Shooting

Hey guys I'm kinda new to this archery thing and was just wondering if some one could tell me if it is accepteble to use a whisker biscuit for finger shooting. If not why not?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 PM

I've shot freestyle recurves, traditional hunting recurves and flat bows/longbows
since I ws twelve, and the first thing I leanred to do
( after learning about nock pints!) was that you can tune your bow's pressure point in relationship to the arrow.
The wisker biscuit , by looking at it, will not let you do this, because the arrow when released by fingers , needs to bear against the bow itself, or a pressure point plunger.
As the fingers draw the bow back, they twist the string so the arrow is forced against the side of the bow's window.
On release,the arrow shaft is compressed to the point that it actually bends several times when leavimg the bow.
If you google "archer's paradox" it will explain it better than I can.
Anyway, as the wisker biscuit and other types of rests like it do not have a single bearing point, they must be used with a release aid, which brings the arrow back without any lateral tension .
In short.....NOPE!
Cat
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 PM

Hey thanks alot Cat that clears it up, its to bad because I love the biscuit but would love to shoot fingers. It just feels better to me than a trigger.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Cat I agree but, With the newer whisker biscuit with the brown stiffer bristles in one part of disk it could work if you put the stiff bristles to the bow side. these stiffer bristles would then work as a plunger.

You could always try that as you can't hurt anything and see if you can get arrows to group.

There is still pressure with a compound with a release, the force is not sideways but downward.

APA makes full containment rest that can be used with fingers. it has the pressure point moved to the bow side!....

With fingers full containment is usually not as necessary as you can hold arrow on rest while drawing!...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM

Check your pm's Dr
Old 04-04-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Cat I agree but, With the newer whisker biscuit with the brown stiffer bristles in one part of disk it could work if you put the stiff bristles to the bow side. these stiffer bristles would then work as a plunger.

You could always try that as you can't hurt anything and see if you can get arrows to group.

There is still pressure with a compound with a release, the force is not sideways but downward.

APA makes full containment rest that can be used with fingers. it has the pressure point moved to the bow side!....

With fingers full containment is usually not as necessary as you can hold arrow on rest while drawing!...
Shows how much I know about the wisker biscuit!!
Didn't know you could tune the wiskers!!
Cat
Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fish View Post
Hey thanks alot Cat that clears it up, its to bad because I love the biscuit but would love to shoot fingers. It just feels better to me than a trigger.
Have you tried a backtension style release ?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:01 PM

You need a bow that is at least 38'' ax to ax to shoot with a finger glove or you will get finger and arrow pinch and mess with yor shot no matter what rest you use