Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 AM

Default fixing a rod tip

so my beautiful wife has a river monster pole/reel combo that she absolutely loves and catches more fish with it than any other. well the tip got broke on it. about 3" from the end. any way to fix that? i tried to find a replacement but to no avail. thought about using a toothpick inside and epoxy it then wrap it with thread, but not sure it will still have the same sensitiviy. any advice. she absolutely love that pole.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:28 PM

You can epoxy the tip or a new one inside the now shorter rod but I've never had any luck joining two pieces of a rod together. I'm sure there's a way to do it but I'm lazy and don't buy really expensive gear, not worth it for me.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

Lifetime warranty is the modern way if ur interested in quality.
Any rod of any substance has it these days.
If ur rod is not in this category...then just replace it.
It will be cheaper.
Mickey mousing a rod back together is surely not worth it either.
I have a few unwarrantied rods that when or if they break....they r off to the dumpster. No questions asked lol

But if ur really hard pressed to save it...try phoning some shops.
But I'm sure u'll get a similar answer.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM

Default Buy a new tip eye

Most big stores carry as election of metal tips and guides

Take rod end with you to wss LA... Crimp slightly use glue gun

To attach...pretty easy .Will chage action slightly but....hey it's not the rod

It's all how you jiggle your pole.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 PM

What about looking on the custom rod sites like mudhole.com. They usually have a wide variety of custom tips. You might be able to find one that has the same diameter of the "new" tip size of the rod. I would just use a dremmel and a cut off disc to make it flat and flush and epoxy the new tip on. Will probably never have the same sensitivity but at least your better half will stay happy she has her rod back!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM

You have 3 choices:
1 - carefully measure the diameter of the rod at the break, buy a replacement tip and glue it on with hot glue or epoxy. The rod will be a bit shorter and stiffer but the difference in the action will barely be noticeable. Rod tips are measured in 64th's of an inch: try to get one that just fits without having to sand down the rod.
2 - get a piece of tempered steel wire (hobby shops have a range of sizes) that just fits into the smaller diameter side of the break and taper it slightly for a tight fit. Try to get about 1 1/2" of the wire into each side of the break and wrap the large end with fine thread to get a non-wobby fit but not too tight. Epoxy the wire into one hole and after it sets, epoxy it into the other hole and align the guides before the epoxy sets up. After the epoxy sets, smooth the joint with fine sandpaper or a file and do a thread wrap for about a half inch either side of the break. Seal the thread with clear nail polish or head cement if you tie flies. The tip will be a bit stiffer than originally but at least will be the same length. Usually the joint will be strong enough when that close to the tip.
3 - Buy her a new rod and keep the old one for a spare.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:38 PM

The Reel Doctor in Edmonton will fix it up perfect!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
The Reel Doctor in Edmonton will fix it up perfect!
X2 he fixes all my rods and does a great job with specialty reel maintenance.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 PM

it's broke about 3/4" from the 2nd eye, 3" from the tip. so i think trying to retip it is out. unless i cut it off before the last eye and retip it there.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:43 PM

BPman has covered your options fairly well.

With the break being that close to the second guide, I would try the splice the broken section back on (if you still have it) as outlined in BPman's #2 option. I broke a rod by the second guide while on holidays several years ago in the Bahamas. I patched the rod together as BPman described and was fishing with it the next day and I am still using that patched rod to this day.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:34 PM

Fixed countless rods by finding a nail that fits in both sides, cut the head off, get out some 5 minute epoxy, fill both holes, jam in the nail so its about 3/4 inches in on each side. keep it aligned as the epoxy sets. Never had it break again at the point of the repair, unless it was really intentional.

Drewski
Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 PM

reel doc fixed my kid's rod perfectly, and it's cheap, way better than all the stress of trying to find a tip and epoxy and nail and all that crap. let him do it for the half the price and no hassle!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Lifetime warranty is the modern way if ur interested in quality.
Any rod of any substance has it these days.
If ur rod is not in this category...then just replace it.
It will be cheaper.
Mickey mousing a rod back together is surely not worth it either.
I have a few unwarrantied rods that when or if they break....they r off to the dumpster. No questions asked lol

But if ur really hard pressed to save it...try phoning some shops.
But I'm sure u'll get a similar answer.

So a rod is only good quality if it has a warranty on it for when it breaks... isn't that a bit ironic?

The whole unconditional warranty thing came about by one certain fly rod company (Orvis) to try to sell rods, and after that every other company followed suit so they didn't loose business. I am pretty sure that quality never had anything to do with it.