Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 02:49 PM

This is clearly a touchy subject, but the discussion has me wondering for the guys saying it will have too much recoil...what weight do you consider a 7RM to be a perfect balance between shoot-ability and easy carry?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
This is clearly a touchy subject, but the discussion has me wondering for the guys saying it will have too much recoil...what weight do you consider a 7RM to be a perfect balance between shoot-ability and easy carry?
I don’t think it’s the weight
It’s just the tikka stock designs
Had a 270 wsm t3 light and it was the one of the worst recoiling rifles I’ve owned
Sold it real fast
Old 03-24-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Had a 270 wsm t3 light and it was the one of the worst recoiling rifles I’ve owned
Sold it real fast

I’d buy that. I’ve got a Mesa Precision stock coming for a 7mm mag Tikka that I picked up. It does recoil like a bastard as is so I will post up my thoughts on if the stock changes things. Weight will be very similar.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Sold it real fast
That’s cus your to soft and fluffy 😂😂 my 300wsm kicked till put a limb saver on it now shoots straight and knocks them down
Old 03-24-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:

For many years I carried a 700 FS/ADL in 7 Rem Mag with a 4.5-14X Leupold in Talley LW's. It weighed an even 8 lbs.

The factory recoil pad was all it needed. It was easy to shoot. Never felt like any more recoil than an 8 lb 270 or 30-06.

I think a 7-1/2 lb 7 Rem Mag would not be a problem.

We are witnessing the wussification of the shooting community. Limbsavers on 6.5 Creedmoors and 7-08's? I've even seen muzzle brakes on 6.5 Creedmoors....come on.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Personally, I shoot a heavier rifle better offhand, and from some field positions, so my hunting rifles typically weigh 8-9 lbs scoped. I carried a 9lb 7mmstw on all of my sheep hunts, including backpack hunts, and it wasn't an issue. My current go to big game rifle is a 7mmstw weighing about 9-1/4lbs scoped.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:43 PM

Fair enough! I’m coming off of a 9.3lb all up Ridgeline in 7RM and while it settles on target quickly and recoils like a kitten, I find that I carry it a lot more than I shoot it. Gonna try this Tikka at 7.5lbs all up and see where we stand.

OP, have you weighed your new setup?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Personally, I shoot a heavier rifle better offhand, and from some field positions, so my hunting rifles typically weigh 8-9 lbs scoped. I carried a 9lb 7mmstw on all of my sheep hunts, including backpack hunts, and it wasn't an issue. My current go to big game rifle is a 7mmstw weighing about 9-1/4lbs scoped.
Exactly the same for me Elk and my favorite cartridge and rifle was the 7mm stw in a sako hunter 75 with a 26 inch barrel, it was all of 9 pounds,but when I shot free hand I just loved that rifle.Not a rifle I cared to bench shot with,sight it in and out,but great hunting rifle once I learnt the right loads for it.The fit was just perfect for me so this helped out a lot. Regret selling it.

I did have the same rifle Rembo just mentioned It was a great rifle to shoot so I can't see what the problem will be here with the OP'S rifle.

Not everyone has the same likings in a rifle and scope,so what one guy likes is no big deal.

Once he has the time a target pic would be fine.

Plus I am sure he will show some pics of his hunts that a 10k rifle won't get .

My biggest problem was always trying to get the best and slowly my hunting time started to be consumed by messing around with better toys.

Enjoy your hunting a if you can shoot it well that's all that matters.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-24-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer guy View Post
That’s cus your to soft and fluffy 😂😂 my 300wsm kicked till put a limb saver on it now shoots straight and knocks them down
Ha have you fired a box of ammo through that thing yet?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Ha have you fired a box of ammo through that thing yet?
Nope I guess not if your talking hunting I’m usually a one shot kinda guy don’t know about you but some of us don’t need and the high tec stuff just a rifle out of the box and a scope and I still have a couple 160 plus deer hanging on the wall not to mention 50” moose that fall over when I shoot .....😁
Old 03-25-2020, 12:45 PM

Default Bought me a Tikka super lite 7mm!!

Quote:
Fair enough! I’m coming off of a 9.3lb all up Ridgeline in 7RM and while it settles on target quickly and recoils like a kitten, I find that I carry it a lot more than I shoot it. Gonna try this Tikka at 7.5lbs all up and see where we stand.

OP, have you weighed your new setup?

I just weighed mine and it comes in at 9.1 lbs with bipod on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hugenuge; 03-25-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM

First rounds through the rifle since unboxing it all at 100 yards zero at 200. Pretty happy with how it shot. Nice smooth action, the clip is easy to work with, barrel didn’t heat up to bad after 3 shots and the recoil was very manageable. Brain still in tack, soul is still attached to my body, and no stitches but in all seriousness I am sure the limb saver helped a lot with that.

Group that is all touching has 5 bullets through. A couple flyers. Need to Dail the left to right in another inch. But other than that I am really happy with how everything worked. Going to try another type of ammunition on the next shoot! And will report again.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:06 PM

Nice.
Looks like you have a winning combination there.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
I just weighed mine and it comes in at 9.1 lbs with bipod on.

Super normal weight rifle lol
Old 03-25-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post

First rounds through the rifle since unboxing it all at 100 yards zero at 200. Pretty happy with how it shot. Nice smooth action, the clip is easy to work with, barrel didn’t heat up to bad after 3 shots and the recoil was very manageable. Brain still in tack, soul is still attached to my body, and no stitches but in all seriousness I am sure the limb saver helped a lot with that.

Group that is all touching has 5 bullets through. A couple flyers. Need to Dail the left to right in another inch. But other than that I am really happy with how everything worked. Going to try another type of ammunition on the next shoot! And will report again.

You are off to a great start!
Cat
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 PM
Banned

Did you do any barrel break in?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Who cares?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-26-2020, 06:58 AM

Nice gun Nuge. That limbsaver you put on will tame it down a bunch. I’ve noticed with those barrels the first 2-3 shots are tight, then barrel warms up and groups size starts to wander a bit. Let her cool down to find your best groups. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Who cares?
I've found that sprinkling the barrel with holy water and follow up with a sage smudge is equally effective as a "proper" break in .
Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Another version of barrel break in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg
Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:

It was only a matter of time before that one showed up AGAIN!!
My new 260 has a cow barrel, it must be because it is not a bull barrel.

Cat
Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Who cares?
I care Chuck, what’s it to you?

Do you always have to be that guy?

How bout you mind your own dam business and let nuge answer the question.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

That must have been before he took his hacksaw to it.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
That must have been before he took his hacksaw to it.
But the point is, there is no measurable proof as to how the various barrel break in methods effect accuracy or barrel life. You can compare two similar barrels, but each barrel is an individual, so you can't compare the same barrel with and without a break in procedure. I am more careful not to let fouling build up with a new barrel, but after using a few break in procedures, I am not convinced that any of them are better than simply not letting a barrel become badly fouled.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Ran a thingy through it.....then sent some bullets down range.....

Not bad out of the box....just gotta hug it a little tighter

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am more careful not to let fouling build up with a new barrel, but after using a few break in procedures, I am not convinced that any of them are better than simply not letting a barrel become badly fouled.

Lol, the whole point of breaking in the barrel is to make future cleaning much easier and slow the fouling process.

I’m not sure if you understand what is happening when you break in a barrel, and I know someone who thinks sprinkling holy water on the barrel has no clue, but it’s namely a type of lapping process to flatten the tooling burrs without having debris trapped under the lapped metal.

Accuracy? I have no idea as once you fire a shot, there’s no taking it back to see how it’ll work out the other way. When you’re breaking in a barrel you’re talking microscopic burrs, at 500yds, you still won’t see what a microscopic adjustment will do at the muzzle so I doubt you’ll see a difference in accuracy. Fouling and cleaning is where you’ll see the difference. I highly doubt big stick is worried about cleaning anything, let alone a disposable rifle, his break in procedure seems on point with his attitude.

Some people have their vehicle detailed once a week, some take the leaf blower and a pressure washer to it once a year, either way it’ll get you where you want to go. Who’s car would you rather buy second hand?

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Lol, the whole point of breaking in the barrel is to make future cleaning much easier and slow the fouling process.

I’m not sure if you understand what is happening when you break in a barrel, and I know someone who thinks sprinkling holy water on the barrel has no clue, but it’s namely a type of lapping process to flatten the tooling burrs without having debris trapped under the lapped metal.

Accuracy? I have no idea as once you fire a shot, there’s no taking it back to see how it’ll work out the other way. When you’re breaking in a barrel you’re talking microscopic burrs, at 500yds, you still won’t see what a microscopic adjustment will do at the muzzle so I doubt you’ll see a difference in accuracy. Fouling and cleaning is where you’ll see the difference. I highly doubt big stick is worried about cleaning anything, let alone a disposable rifle, his break in procedure seems on point with his attitude.

Some people have their vehicle detailed once a week, some take the leaf blower and a pressure washer to it once a year, either way it’ll get you where you want to go.
Still no science to back up those hypothsis.
I'll believe it when someone takes 2 barrels and shows the difference in a measurable way.
That would include measurement of fouling.
Until then it is just anecdotal evidence.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I'll believe it when someone takes 2 barrels and shows the difference in a measurable way.
I’m not going to try to convince you of anything, you have your procedure and that’s fine with me. I’ll just leave you with this, when I spend thousands of dollars on a rifle, I read the manufacturers recommendations and follow their instructions. The cost of ammo and bench time is well worth the piece of mind to me, ymmv.

PS, I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence or not but every single rifle I’ve broken in has been a sub moa rifle.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-26-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I’m not going to try to convince you of anything, you have your procedure and that’s fine with me. I’ll just leave you with this, when I spend thousands of dollars on a rifle, I read the manufacturers recommendations and follow their instructions. The cost of ammo and bench time is well worth the piece of mind to me, ymmv.
Let us know when your piece of mind is supported by measurable values.
Until then you consider trying the holy water.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Let us know when your piece of mind is supported by measurable values.
Until then you consider trying the holy water.
So long as I have a choice of taking advice from you or taking advice from the engineers who design my rifles, I’ll stick to the barrel break in and leave the smoke and water to you.

I’ve had fellow AO members call me after they’ve bought one of my rifles and comment on how easy it is to clean, I’m pretty sure that could be considered a measurable value to them.