Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-29-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
It’s amazing how a simple question can turn into the dumbest comments.

I don’t need a brake and not going to put one on. I have shot a 7mm before and wouldn’t buy a gun with out doing so! Not scared of the recoil just need to man up if you are! Wanted the super lite because I hunt in the mountains packing everything in on the back. Weight savings is worth a little recoil punishment.

As for the rest of you guys having a ****ing match between each other. Take it somewhere else and stop hijacking the thread. Looking for serious contributions to an honest question. Can’t provide that then move along.

Thanks to the rest of you who had valuable contributions. Looking at starting off with some hornady precision hunter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enjoy the rifle and pay no attention to some guys on here.

I would go with the 160 or 140 accubond spiced up with some h1000 or reloader 26 which I haven't tried because I can't find any.

So many powders or different factory ammo that you will find the right pill for it,should shot great.I have never seen one shot bad ,plus it's nice to carry and you don't have to baby it like a wood rifle.

Once you start shooting it you will never look back,good choice and hope you knock over something great

JD
Old 02-29-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

^^^ Listen to JD ^^^

I’m using 168gr Berger VLD hunters and some H1000, it killed a moose at 670yds and a monster whitetail at around 200yds. Good for near and far!
Old 02-29-2020, 05:02 PM

There are many good bullets in the 140-160gr range that serve well as a do it all bullet for big game. As far as powders go, I have had the best results with IMR 7828, and R-22, but there are some new powders that I haven't tried.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
It’s amazing how a simple question can turn into the dumbest comments.

I don’t need a brake and not going to put one on. I have shot a 7mm before and wouldn’t buy a gun with out doing so! Not scared of the recoil just need to man up if you are! Wanted the super lite because I hunt in the mountains packing everything in on the back. Weight savings is worth a little recoil punishment.

As for the rest of you guys having a ****ing match between each other. Take it somewhere else and stop hijacking the thread. Looking for serious contributions to an honest question. Can’t provide that then move along.

Thanks to the rest of you who had valuable contributions. Looking at starting off with some hornady precision hunter!

Looks like recoil is going to be a problem
Old 02-29-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’m actually surprised a frail old bugger like you can still handle the recoil from a 7mag. Thought you would have switched to a 6.5 cm by now.
I am a bit of a delicate flower for sure. When I need a break from the T3 300, it’s nice to run the 7 or the 22 for relief. Funny you mention the Creed I have a deposit on a prebarreled Defacto action. Just about time for some dog dusting.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are many good bullets in the 140-160gr range that serve well as a do it all bullet for big game. As far as powders go, I have had the best results with IMR 7828, and R-22, but there are some new powders that I haven't tried.
There both good powders to use .I have had great success with both, and yes there's a great bullet selection for this cartridge.

With a good limbsaver recoil pad or pad of your choice and things should be a cake walk.You wouldn't lose or gain much in weight.

Avoid nickel brass if you can.

Again all the best.

JD
Old 02-29-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
It’s mind blowing, the difference in the types of reply’s between this forum and others like Rokslide. People are pretty supportive over on Rokslide (or maybe just keep the negativity to themselves) and on here, its 10-1 negative to positive.

We're you thinking we should all swoon over a $1,000.00 Tikka? Big whup. Seriously.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=marky_mark;4118869]So whats your question?

You do know that just because someone has the same rifle as you, it doesnt mean that your 2 rifles will shoot the same bullets with the same results.... Right?

Im assuming you're talking about box ammo here and not loading your own?

Everyone gets it, your the only backpack hunter in alberta. You dont have a flinch (yet). You dont need a brake. Gotcha. You wanna save that 1lb going in because its going to allow you to go 1000000km.

Ah finally someone who understands haha

Old 02-29-2020, 08:29 PM

Like I said Hugenuge, don't pay any attention to these guys ,there unhappy people that enjoy nothing more then trying to impress themselves online.

Reality is there just bags of sour milk ready to burst and nothing more.

There's a very good reason why many guys with plenty of info with ten times the experience won't post or start a thread, they can't be bothered by idiots.

JD
Old 02-29-2020, 08:48 PM

140 gr bullets still give around a BC of around 500 and there's nothing wrong with that.
That would be a good place to start and then see what the 150s or 160s do.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
^^^ Listen to JD ^^^

I’m using 168gr Berger VLD hunters and some H1000, it killed a moose at 670yds and a monster whitetail at around 200yds. Good for near and far!

Nice man! This is a great caliber for all Alberta game!

Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 PM

Nice rifle. I had a superlite in ‘06 which I dropped into a wildcat (much stiffer, and it helped drop some more weight), and finally added some parts I machined. It was a beautiful rifle and I probably should have kept it. Im sure you will enjoy your new rifle.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Like I said Hugenuge, don't pay any attention to these guys ,there unhappy people that enjoy nothing more then trying to impress themselves online.

There's a very good reason why many guys with plenty of info with ten times the experience won't post or start a thread, they can't be bothered by idiots.

JD

Interesting that You are posting here then. Hmmm.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
We're you thinking we should all swoon over a $1,000.00 Tikka? Big whup. Seriously.

Were*
Old 03-01-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Unless you go wood.
It was laminate. lol
Old 03-01-2020, 10:41 AM

I Love my Tikka Superlite. Good shooter. Enjoy your gun, do or don't put a muzzlebreak on it. Who cares. Opinions are like A-holes right?
Old 03-01-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
LOL! Beautiful and Tikka should never be used in the same sentence, ever.

Not the best picture, and I've added a few since this was taken, but I have to disagree.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainkip View Post
In reality this means that if you need a break on the gun then you should not own it or shoot it cause you cant handle it. breaks on hunting rifles are unnecessary unless you are shooting something you are scared of.

Nice gun though
I put a 60% brake on a Tikka 7mm-08 cause it was darn uncomfortable to shoot, now anyone can shoot it. *****, perhaps, but worth every nickel if you ask me.....FS
Old 03-07-2020, 06:35 AM

Here it is all
Set up!!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:38 AM

Very nice rig! Let us know how it shoots and groups.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Congrats.

Just so you know, the reason you got a whole lotta talk about recoil is because your original question is absolutely unanswerable. Every rifle has a mind of its own. Your buddy may have the exact same gun, but it may not shoot the ammo your gun likes worth a tinker's damn.

If you are buying factory ammo, and you want to see if it is a shooter, I would definitely start with a box of Federal Premium loaded up with Sierra Gamekings. They are as consistently accurate as any bullet I can think of, and they kill well. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have gutted a pile of animals killed with Gamekings out of a 7 Rem.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:34 AM

I am somewhat curious about your choice in scope and adding a bipod if you were looking for a light rifle.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Congrats.

Just so you know, the reason you got a whole lotta talk about recoil is because your original question is absolutely unanswerable. Every rifle has a mind of its own. Your buddy may have the exact same gun, but it may not shoot the ammo your gun likes worth a tinker's damn.

If you are buying factory ammo, and you want to see if it is a shooter, I would definitely start with a box of Federal Premium loaded up with Sierra Gamekings. They are as consistently accurate as any bullet I can think of, and they kill well. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have gutted a pile of animals killed with Gamekings out of a 7 Rem.

And everyone once and a while, you will get a rifle where you simply will never be friends. It not you, it’s not the rifle, you are both great but you make a horrible team. Lol

That’s how I describe that one in fifty rifle where you can’t get it to group worth a darn and your friend fires his first 3 rounds out of it and cloverleaf’s it.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I am somewhat curious about your choice in scope and adding a bipod if you were looking for a light rifle.

Kinda wondered this too.

Guys putting, big scopes, bipod, and gawdishly huge leather slings, on a ultra light rifle.(I know there’s no sling shown)

Kinda like putting all terrain tires on a Lamborghini.

Anyways Paul, post up some range reports.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-07-2020, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Pretty easy answer
He wants to shoot 1000 yards with it
Old 03-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
A 7-1/2lb rifle with the same scope and bipod would be 2lbs heavier.

Maybe the bipod is just for target shooting? I have a mountain rifle that’s about 6-1/2lb naked, it has a pic rail for a quick detach bipod, I only use the bipod for target practice, in the field I use my pack. The scope on that rifle is a 2lb nightforce, it comes in around 8-3/4lbs set up, I’d like it if it was 7-3/4lbs.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:05 AM

I know if it was me, I’d be trying 120 and 140gr Barnes Ttsx in it. And I’d never feel undergunned.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
I know if it was me, I’d be trying 120 and 140gr Barnes Ttsx in it. And I’d never feel undergunned.

I agree. My Tikka 7RM really likes a stiff load of RL22 behind a 140TTSX, very accurate and very effective on cow elk this past December.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:35 PM

I just traded my 7RM superlite in for a new rifle more suited for my wants. If I didn’t want what I have now so badly I would have kept the Tikka. It just wasn’t what I wanted as a reloader. It shot great with factory 162 eld-x and easily less than MOA with my hand loaded 175 partitions. Don’t listen to anyone about recoil, go out and shoot it yourself. If it’s a problem then change to lighter bullets or get a brake. If recoil is not a problem then enjoy your new rifle and the recoil of your gun shouldn’t be a problem to delicate keyboard hunting pro’s, their not the ones shooting it. I can’t believe how many people think this medium bore is a thumper lol. The 7RM has moderate recoil compaired to lots of magnum cartridges out there, even in a light rifle. I like the 160 accubonds for an all around bullet in this caliber.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Not the best picture, and I've added a few since this was taken, but I have to disagree.

I’d have to agree with Crazy Davey. Looks like cheap wood compared to a Sako or Weatherby.