Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-10-2024, 07:25 PM

Default Need help, sighting in and scope problems.

So got my new/old rifle today a zastava LKm70 in 6.5x55 se mounted up a old bushnell banner scope 3x x9 40 and got set up, took a shot at 48 yrds just see were I was hitting on paper I hit 10 inchs low but windage was good. so I clicked up, and could only do 8 clicks and scope was maxed on elevation. so I took another shot was 8 inchs low, now im confused but figured I'd take a few more shots, nice tight group all 8 inchs low. I had 4 rounds left so I walked my target out to 95 yrds and took a shot it hit dead bang center of the red, ..I HAD NOT TOUCHED SCOPE SETTING.. remeber was hitting g 8 inchs low at 48 yrds and now it's dead on at 95 yrds. can any one explain why ?? it should been much lower at 100 if it was low at 48 right ? iv never had a scope do this to me. at 48 it should been a bit high really high with scope maxed on elevation right ? is it front base is to high or rear is to low? bases are ones I got with it. the last owner is no longer with us so I can't even ask him ,, any ideas would be helpfull. groups great though. so there is that..
Old 04-10-2024, 07:51 PM

That makes absolutely no sense at all. With a scope mounted say 2" above the bore, basic geometry says that 8" low at 48 yards should put you much lower at 95 yards. The only possible explanations that I can come up with, is that either the scope mechanism suddenly shifted for the last shot, or it's how you are resting the rifle when shooting. If you rested the barrel on a hard surface for the last shot, the harmonics can cause the barrel to jump away from the rest. Some oddball things can also happen if you lock the rifle into a gun vice or lead sled that prevents normal recoil.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:59 PM

makes zero sence to me also. I was shooting off hand, and my groups were tight at both ranges. I agree should been much much lower at 95 yrds. maybe a scope shift or something internally. maybe I'll put it away till end of month and get new bases,rings and a scope, if problems prosist I'll have take it back in to the Smith I quess.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:58 PM

The scope erector may not have reset inside the scope right away, then jumped with the shots at the longer range.
Cat
Old 04-10-2024, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
makes zero sence to me also. I was shooting off hand, and my groups were tight at both ranges. I agree should been much much lower at 95 yrds. maybe a scope shift or something internally. maybe I'll put it away till end of month and get new bases,rings and a scope, if problems prosist I'll have take it back in to the Smith I quess.
You can't zero a scope shooting offhand. I'm not saying that is the problem but any time you are zeroing a scope... use a proper bench rest.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:29 PM

you were right Todd, I swapped on a 4x fixed power scope I think from 1974 I had tucked away and went back out and shooting lights out now. zero problems. tossed the ""broken "" one on a wall hanger to complete its looks so to speak. I did try tossing it on a different rifle same problems , so definitely the scope
Old 04-11-2024, 09:36 PM

Quote:
you were right Todd, I swapped on a 4x fixed power scope I think from 1974 I had tucked away and went back out and shooting lights out now. zero problems. tossed the ""broken "" one on a wall hanger to complete its looks so to speak. I did try tossing it on a different rifle same problems , so definitely the scope
It can be very frustrating when an erector sticks, then suddenly jumps. I have seen it several times over the years, most recently on a friends Vortex.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:50 PM

Send it back to Bushnell they will send you a shiny new one.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Send it back to Bushnell they will send you a shiny new one.
This.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:15 AM

even on a 25ish year old scope? If that's the case I'll mail it to them. as i did like the scope.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
even on a 25ish year old scope? If that's the case I'll mail it to them. as i did like the scope.

Definitely worth a try.

A couple of years ago I sent in my Bausch & Lomb scope to Bushnell for repair (the scope was purchased before Bushnell bought out B&L).

They weren’t able to fix it, so they sent me a new Bushnell scope.

I’m impressed.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky buffalo View Post
definitely worth a try.

A couple of years ago i sent in my bausch & lomb scope to bushnell for repair (the scope was purchased before bushnell bought out b&l).

They weren’t able to fix it, so they sent me a new bushnell scope.

I’m impressed.
^^ truth ^^
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Definitely worth a try.

A couple of years ago I sent in my Bausch & Lomb scope to Bushnell for repair (the scope was purchased before Bushnell bought out B&L).

They weren’t able to fix it, so they sent me a new Bushnell scope.

I’m impressed.
Spot on. Sent a 3/4" scope off a 22 in for repair. They no longer make them and cant fix them. Scope was at least 50 years old. They sent me a brand new high end Elite worth about 500 bucks to replace a scope that probably cost 5 bucks new, and maybe 60 bucks if you can find one today. Tasco still sells them, 17 bucks at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-Rim...-Tube/47487535