Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 11:16 AM

Default Nikon Warranty

Has anyone had to use their Nikon scope warranty and if so did you have any problems without the original proof of purchase receipt?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:20 AM

Call Nikon. They are getting out of the scope business and the story about honoring or not the existing warranties has changed 6 times in communications directly from them. Have no idea what their current position is and all the past experience is pretty much useless. If they are back on living up to their obligations I would send it off immediately, before they change their minds again. Best of luck.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM

I am aware they are getting out of the scope business which is part of my worry in addition to not having the purchase receipt.
I checked online for the Canadian Nikon Warranty location to call and they have a Covid 19 message that their support centre is shut down.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM

Here is what is on their site for Warranty. I am thinking they aren't going to go easy on you about no receipt, though I hope I am wrong, but if you can find you Visa bill that might work. You can usually get receipts dating back 7 years if you know the approximate date of the purchase.

Quote:
To obtain performance of the warranty obligations, the original consumer purchaser must return this Nikon product
together with this warranty form and the purchase receipt displaying the purchase date to the appropriate Nikon service
facility.
The current address of Nikon’s service facility within the United States can be obtained by visiting
www.nikonusa.com/service or by calling 1-800-645-6687.
In returning this Nikon product for repair or replacement or refund under this warranty, the original consumer purchaser
must prepay all postage, shipping transportation, insurance and delivery costs, and the Nikon product must be delivered
in either its original carton or a similar package affording an equal degree of protection. Nikon will not be responsible for
any loss or damage incurred in connection with the return of this Nikon product.
THIS WARRANTY FORM MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR COPIED AND WILL BE VALID ONLY WITH AUTHENTIC
RIFLESCOPES SOLD BY NIKON AND PURCHASED FROM A NIKON AUTHORIZED DEALER.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:03 PM

I was really impressed with the Nikon HG binoculars and was going to purchase a pair. After reading about the poor customer service and their basically anti hunting company stance, it was a hard pass.

I hope they honour the warranty for you but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Nikon Bull**** Customer service and warranty!

I contacted Nikon for an answer to my question regarding warranty on a rifle scope. The following is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Nikon Canada.
Unfortunately without the receipt showing where and when the scope was purchased we won't be able to service the riflescope. Also, since we don't make riflescopes anymore. If you send it in to us with receipt, we will make a replacement offer for another sport optics item at a discounted rate, such as binoculars, rangefinders, fieldscopes, or we can make a replacement offer for a new camera.

Regards "

This upsets me very much as Nikon was my go to brand for rifle scopes and binoculars. They will never get any business from my family again.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Sorry it worked out like that but I have to say I am not surprised. Nikon has been completely disreputable in this whole process of getting out of making scopes. They are basically trying to weasel out of their longterm obligations for warranty. I really hope someone in the states launches a class action lawsuit against them. I doubt there is enough volume in Canada to start one. Luckily I got rid of all my Nikon products a couple of years ago.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Sorry it worked out like that but I have to say I am not surprised. Nikon has been completely disreputable in this whole process of getting out of making scopes. They are basically trying to weasel out of their longterm obligations for warranty. I really hope someone in the states launches a class action lawsuit against them. I doubt there is enough volume in Canada to start one. Luckily I got rid of all my Nikon products a couple of years ago.
Thanks Dean, I agree with you.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:30 PM

Default Cant find receipt!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
Has anyone had to use their Nikon scope warranty and if so did you have any problems without the original proof of purchase receipt?
Man really I just bought a new Nikon scope after 25 years with Bushnell bummer.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 PM
Banned

A couple of points (we are a sport optics dealer).
First...I do agree with some of the feelings about Nikon abandoning their riflescopes...I have two of the X Black myself and they are great.
That being said Nikon is primarily a camera company, and the pushback they were getting from photographer over the sale of riflescopes was impacting their camera sales in such a way that they were losing more money their than they were making on the riflescopes.
Not sure how people here run their businesses...but most aren't in business to lose money.

Now...the sales receipt. We deal with Nikon, Bushnell, Swarovski, Leica and others. Of all of them Swarovski is the only one we can send in for a repair without a proof of purchase and expect to get it done under warranty with no questions asked. So in this respect Nikon is no different than 90% of the sport optics community.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:50 PM

I had a terrible experience with Nikon CS. I currently have Nikon cameras, Monarch HGs, a Fieldscope, and a rangefinder. Disappointing as I love their camera products especially, but I won’t be purchasing another product of theirs.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
First...I do agree with some of the feelings about Nikon abandoning their riflescopes...I have two of the X Black myself and they are great.
That being said Nikon is primarily a camera company, and the pushback they were getting from photographer over the sale of riflescopes was impacting their camera sales in such a way that they were losing more money their than they were making on the riflescopes.
Not sure how people here run their businesses...but most aren't in business to lose money.

Now...the sales receipt. We deal with Nikon, Bushnell, Swarovski, Leica and others. Of all of them Swarovski is the only one we can send in for a repair without a proof of purchase and expect to get it done under warranty with no questions asked. So in this respect Nikon is no different than 90% of the sport optics community.
I sent in 3 bushnell scopes at x-mas time with no questions asked and no sales receipt. All fixed or replaced at no cost.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
I sent in 3 bushnell scopes at x-mas time with no questions asked and no sales receipt. All fixed or replaced at no cost.
Would be interested to know your dealer...but this is not Gentec's (the Canadian distributor) policy. They have always required a proof of purchase from us.
If it was a dealer who did this for you, kudos on the dealer. But if you know it was done through the Canadian distributor I would like to know...'cause they'll be hearing from me as to why they don't do it for us.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the post and heads-up.

I was strongly considering the M5 Monarch...not happening now.
That's a BS response by a big company that still very much exists -- just not in the scope business.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Would be interested to know your dealer...but this is not Gentec's (the Canadian distributor) policy. They have always required a proof of purchase from us.
If it was a dealer who did this for you, kudos on the dealer. But if you know it was done through the Canadian distributor I would like to know...'cause they'll be hearing from me as to why they don't do it for us.
From the Gentec website link

Binoculars (Bushnell Elite, Legend Ultra HD, Legend E, L & M Series, Trophy and Trophy Xtreme)
Riflescopes (Elite Tactical, Elite Long Range Hunter, Elite 6500, Elite 4500, Elite 3500, Legend Ultra HD, Trophy and Trophy Xtreme)
Spotting Scopes (Elite Tactical, Elite, Legend Ultra HD, Trophy and Trophy Xtreme)

No receipt, warranty card, or product registration is required. A downloadable repair form and other info to ensure fast, accurate processing can be found in Customer Service. Please provide your contact information (name, shipping address and daytime phone #), and a description of the defect or other reason for return. Ship the product to Bushnell, and we will return your product or an equivalent replacement to you at no additional charge.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:

The biggest difference is that Nikon took an anti hunting stance to please the politically correct. What they failed to realize is that the vast majority of hunters own nice cameras and sport optics. I hope it blows up in their face and they lose their shirt over this. There is a real uproar on the US hunting sites and I believe the bad press from this will cost them a huge portion of their US market very quickly.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
I sent mine into bushnell i hope they replace it then i will have a back up.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=bobtodrick;4135119]A couple of points (we are a sport optics dealer).

Now...the sales receipt. We deal with Nikon, Bushnell, Swarovski, Leica and others. Of all of them Swarovski is the only one we can send in for a repair without a proof of purchase and expect to get it done under warranty with no questions asked. So in this respect Nikon is no different than 90% of the sport optics community.[/QUOTE

Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, Redfield, Bushnell, Vortex, Minox, Burris... No receipt required.

Last edited by abhunter8; 03-26-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I just called the warranty center and talked to the nice lady. She told me to box em up,insure them and send them in. I didn't have to download any forms,just a quick note as to what was wrong with them. An these were 2 older scopechiefs and one banner. 4 or 5 weeks later I had new scopes sent to me at no cost.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I contacted Nikon for an answer to my question regarding warranty on a rifle scope. The following is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Nikon Canada.
Unfortunately without the receipt showing where and when the scope was purchased we won't be able to service the riflescope. Also, since we don't make riflescopes anymore. If you send it in to us with receipt, we will make a replacement offer for another sport optics item at a discounted rate, such as binoculars, rangefinders, fieldscopes, or we can make a replacement offer for a new camera.

Regards "

This upsets me very much as Nikon was my go to brand for rifle scopes and binoculars. They will never get any business from my family again.
That's why I'm a life long Bushnell fan. No Muss, No Fuss, No Bother, we'll look after it.

Grizz
Old 03-27-2020, 04:53 PM

With the exception of 1 Minolta my cameras have always been Nikons.I presently have 2 plus several lenses.Knowing that Nikon is dropping it's scope production because of pressure from the antis any future camera I buy will be a Sony,(Minolta),or Canon.
It may be a tiny drop in the bucket but if every hunter does the same Nikon will realize eventually that cowing to one group at the expense of another has consequences.
Shame too as they produce quality products.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 PM

This sucks! I just bought a new Nikon scope after Xmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS View Post
With the exception of 1 Minolta my cameras have always been Nikons.I presently have 2 plus several lenses.Knowing that Nikon is dropping it's scope production because of pressure from the antis any future camera I buy will be a Sony,(Minolta),or Canon.
It may be a tiny drop in the bucket but if every hunter does the same Nikon will realize eventually that cowing to one group at the expense of another has consequences.
Shame too as they produce quality products.
This is what happens when businesses bow to politics. Politicians know that you can't please everybody so you have to pick your alliances. That's ok for politicians because they don't expect to be in power for their entire life. Not so for businesses.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:40 AM

Now...the sales receipt. We deal with Nikon, Bushnell, Swarovski, Leica and others. Of all of them Swarovski is the only one we can send in for a repair without a proof of purchase and expect to get it done under warranty with no questions asked. So in this respect Nikon is no different than 90% of the sport optics community.[/QUOTE]

Over the years i have sent a chepo Sun Optics, Busnnell different models, Burris Fullfield II, Scorpion Optics, Leupold VXIII and a Vintage Tasco. None af them asked for a proof of purchase. Vortex croosfire bino’s a few times different reasons.

Sun Optics= replacement was same product
Bushnell= replacement was same product
Burris= replacement was same product
Scorpion Optics= i payed the difference for other model
leupold= repaired the first and replaced an other one with current model VX3i
And for the tasco well Bushnell declined because the model was way before the bought out Tasco.
Vortex was an excellent company too deal with and even took a moment to reply at the message that sent for the repair or replacement. In this event they repaired the binos and keept it a sentimental valur for me. Way to go Vortex!!
Old 04-25-2020, 01:49 PM

Default Don't

Send Bushnell BL scope in or you will get a cheap Chinese made replacement.They went from Japan to Korea to China made.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Send Bushnell BL scope in or you will get a cheap Chinese made replacement.They went from Japan to Korea to China made.
I am as anti China as they come right now but a useless broken scope vs one that works is a no brainer. The top of the line Bushnells are still an awesome product.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:26 PM

Prophet River just sold a schwack of Nikons in a blowout sale. Perhaps Clay could chime in on this? My understanding is that you register your purchase, and if there’s an issue Nikon will repair if possible, replace if it’s same/same, or issue a credit for any other Nikon product. I don’t know if the warranty is transferable. I’m interested in this as I have quite a few of these scopes.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Was told by a dealer that regarding warranty claims that bushnell prefers to deal directly with the customer rather than the dealer. The reason being that several slimy dealers over the years have been known to take obsolete scopes off of traded in rifles and cruise guns shows buying up obsolete scopes, making them disfunctional only to send them in to be replaced with current models then reselling these new scopes in their shops for full retail, apparently thats why they want retailers making a claim for their customers to provide proof that the product was actually sold by them.

Personally I have sent in 1 old Bausch & Lomb scope without receipt, it was replaced with an equivalent, actually upgraded brand new replacement. No questions asked.

Last edited by Bushrat; 04-25-2020 at 06:09 PM.