Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
So long as I have a choice of taking advice from you or taking advice from the engineers who design my rifles, I’ll stick to the barrel break in and leave the smoke and water to you.

I’ve had fellow AO members call me after they’ve bought one of my rifles and comment on how easy it is to clean, I’m pretty sure that could be considered a measurable value to them.
I have rifles very easy to clean that were not "broke in".
Old 03-26-2020, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I have rifles very easy to clean that were not "broke in".
You got any scientific proof you can show me?

Until then, maybe you should consider a proper barrel break in on your next new rifle purchase and see what that’ll do for you
Old 03-26-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
You got any scientific proof you can show me?

Until then, maybe you should consider a proper barrel break in on your next new rifle purchase and see what that’ll do for you
You tell me.
What is the unit of measure you were using to evaluate "easy".
Old 03-26-2020, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
You tell me.
What is the unit of measure you were using to evaluate "easy".

I never asked how they came up with their measure of “easy”, but it was obviously a noticeable difference to what they were accustom to.

If I’m got the choice between taking your advice,

Or these guys,

https://youtu.be/-F_LZRSgTUI

I’ll go with Shilen, Krieger, and Walther.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You are off to a great start!
Cat

Thanks Cat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 10:54 AM

You are doing well OP.

Carry on, I love the range report side of things.

As to the background noise..... just ignore them.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I’m not going to try to convince you of anything, you have your procedure and that’s fine with me. I’ll just leave you with this, when I spend thousands of dollars on a rifle, I read the manufacturers recommendations and follow their instructions. The cost of ammo and bench time is well worth the piece of mind to me, ymmv.

PS, I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence or not but every single rifle I’ve broken in has been a sub moa rifle.
You ever think that might be because you buy good rifles??? Justsayin.

As far as ease of cleaning, a night in a Wipeout bath has never been that onerous a task for me.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:04 AM

All I know is that gun stacked 5 touching. Nuge never claimed to be Annie Oakley, so that gun is a shooter like most all Tikkas.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
All I know is that gun stacked 5 touching. Nuge never claimed to be Annie Oakley, so that gun is a shooter like most all Tikkas.
The target shows potential, but I don't just ignore the other four holes in the target either.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Did you do any barrel break in?

No never heard of this but I have heard of shooting 100 rounds before really figuring out what rounds your gun likes because a barrel will change after 100 rounds. Kinda like a break in period I guess but I assume this is not the type of break in your referring to??

Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The target shows potential, but I don't just ignore the other four holes in the target either.

I would say the other four holes have more to do with me getting the rust off than the gun it’s self. But I also don’t ignore it and will try another type of ammo just to see if my gun likes something else a little better. In the mean time I’ll be getting back to form and will know pretty quickly what’s going on when I feel comfortable again. I don’t shot all winter long. Other than the odd coyote

Old 03-26-2020, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
No never heard of this but I have heard of shooting 100 rounds before really figuring out what rounds your gun likes because a barrel will change after 100 rounds. Kinda like a break in period I guess but I assume this is not the type of break in your referring to??

No, it’s different. Im pretty sure it’s in the Tikka owners manual but I’m not 100%.

The reason I originally asked about the break in was not to judge, it’s because you said your picture was the first few shots through your rifle so I was curious if your target consisted of fouling shots which in some cases will cause fliers.

I think you made an excellent choice in manufacturer, cartridge, and model.

I do hope you cleaned it before the first shot though, the Tikkas I’ve owned had a lot of grease and grime from the factory.

FWIW, I never cleaned my favorite rifle for about 10 years

It shoots lights out still!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:

It's not about changing what the rifle likes or doesn't like, it's more like some bullets down the bore may clean up some small imperfections in an unlapped barrel, so yes, like a break in of sorts. And after some shooting, the rate of fouling often decreases, just like with a specific barrel break in procedure.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
No, it’s different. Im pretty sure it’s in the Tikka owners manual but I’m not 100%.

The reason I originally asked about the break in was not to judge, it’s because you said your picture was the first few shots through your rifle so I was curious if your target consisted of fouling shots which in some cases will cause fliers.

I think you made an excellent choice in manufacturer, cartridge, and model.

I do hope you cleaned it before the first shot though, the Tikkas I’ve owned had a lot of grease and grime from the factory.

FWIW, I never cleaned my favorite rifle for about 10 years

It shoots lights out still!!!

Nothing in the Tikka owners manual about breaking in the barrel.(google it)

I’ve done 20 shot break in regimes.
10 shot regimes.
3 shot regimes.
And zero shot regimes(started with a clean bore)

I have seen a slight ease in fouling removal sooner on with a 3 shot regime, and after the 3 shot the difference observed is almost negligible.

So I do a 3 shot regime, if the barrel is brand new, the fact that some factories may fire upwards of 3 to 5 shots before letting the rifle leave the factory, pretty much makes the whole break in of factory rifles barrels a rather moot point.

At the end of the day, guys using 3 piece aluminum cleaning rods, and not using a bore guide, probably results in more harm than a nice Dewey rod, and a proper fitting bore guide.

There is zero way of quantifying the results of barrel break in vs. no break in, because even consecutively built barrels can have literally a Jeckle and Hyde behaviour.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2020, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Nothing in the Tikka owners manual about breaking in the barrel.(google it)

I’ve done 20 shot break in regimes.
10 shot regimes.
3 shot regimes.
And zero shot regimes(started with a clean bore)

I have seen a slight ease in fouling removal sooner on with a 3 shot regime, and after the 3 shot the difference observed is almost negligible.

So I do a 3 shot regime, if the barrel is brand new, the fact that some factories may fire upwards of 3 to 5 shots before letting the rifle leave the factory, pretty much makes the whole break in of factory rifles barrels a rather moot point.

At the end of the day, guys using 3 piece aluminum cleaning rods, and not using a bore guide, probably results in more harm than a nice Dewey rod, and a proper fitting bore guide.

There is zero way of quantifying the results of barrel break in vs. no break in, because even consecutively built barrels can have literally a Jeckle and Hyde behaviour.

I’ve done came up with 3 singles, 3 doubles, 3 triples, then giver.

You do 3 singles.

Battle rat uses water and smoke.

It doesn’t matter to me what any of you do.

I do what I want because I’m spending my money, if it was your money I was spending I’d let you make the call.

As I said, I didn’t ask the question to judge, I asked to determine what I was looking at when I looked at his target.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-26-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I’ve done came up with 3 singles, 3 doubles, 3 triples, then giver.

You do 3 singles.

Battle rat uses water and smoke.

It doesn’t matter to me what any of you do.

I do what I want because I’m spending my money, if it was your money I was spending I’d let you make the call.

As I said, I didn’t ask the question to judge, I asked to determine what I was looking at when I looked at his target.

Amen it was just a question.

3 singles, shoot and clean between.
Next cleaning would likely be in 20-25, just because.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2020, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Amen it was just a question.

3 singles, shoot and clean between.
Next cleaning would likely be in 20-25, just because.
I forgot to mention, I use a Tipton bore guide and a dewy rod. A three piece rod to get things out from under my sofa.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM
Banned

Nuge, your inbox is full
Old 03-26-2020, 05:25 PM

The reality is, the sample size for any one regimented procedure in anyone’s basement is so small as to yield almost meaningless results. Nor can you undue any break in procedure to try another with the same barrel. You just don’t know. Now you could document a barrel via bore scope and redocument as you shoot and clean etc. I may try this next week on a new barrel. However, even this doesn’t tell us if the same results would have happened had you just shot the darn thing.

Accuracy really isn’t the proof in the pudding either. Sustained accuracy maybe, but accuracy, no. So to say all of your rifles shoot “sub MOA” because you broke them in is disingenuous. There are thousands and thousands of rifles that shoot that well that see a couple of wet patches every few hundred rounds and that’s it.

I’m convinced that barrels do break in. Especially chrome moly. But, I’m not sure cleaning after every shot speeds this up in any way. Especially in a hunting rifle.

Now swear at me all you want. But to passive aggressively suggest the OP should have broken in this barrel is not really fair. Nor should anyone care whether he did or didn’t. Given the point he is at now, it is meaningless anyway.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 03-26-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 PM

Barrel break in was first proposed on an episode of Jo Jo's Psychic Alliance
Old 03-26-2020, 07:52 PM

This thread managed to hit the ditch on both sides of the road. That’s AOF quality.

OP. Enjoy the rifle.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The reality is, the sample size for any one regimented procedure in anyone’s basement is so small as to yield almost meaningless results. Nor can you undue any break in procedure to try another with the same barrel. You just don’t know. Now you could document a barrel via bore scope and redocument as you shoot and clean etc. I may try this next week on a new barrel. However, even this doesn’t tell us if the same results would have happened had you just shot the darn thing.

Accuracy really isn’t the proof in the pudding either. Sustained accuracy maybe, but accuracy, no. So to say all of your rifles shoot “sub MOA” because you broke them in is disingenuous. There are thousands and thousands of rifles that shoot that well that see a couple of wet patches every few hundred rounds and that’s it.

I’m convinced that barrels do break in. Especially chrome moly. But, I’m not sure cleaning after every shot speeds this up in any way. Especially in a hunting rifle.

Now swear at me all you want. But to passive aggressively suggest the OP should have broken in this barrel is not really fair. Nor should anyone care whether he did or didn’t. Given the point he is at now, it is meaningless anyway.

Since it appears you missed it, I’ll ask that you read, or re-read post #165.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:42 PM

Ignore this post, my post was supposed to be on a different thread but somehow ended up showing on this one. Sorry
Old 05-08-2020, 07:01 PM

I said I would update again next time I **** with different Ammo. Here are the results at 100yards. Pretty good for cheap federal

Old 05-08-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Not the best picture, and I've added a few since this was taken, but I have to disagree.

x2 the classics (as well as new) are beauties. I don't know whether I should get a classic Tikka .308/30-06 or a new one with the polyfade stocks. A Sako finnbear would be nice.

Sweet rifle. I'm jealous
Old 05-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Super excited to get out and start shooting this gun. It’s a very nice upgrade from my savage .270. What are u guys finding these guns like for ammo? Thanks in advance

Huge...mine loved fusion 130 gr factory ammo. Stacked 5 sub-moa no prob. Shot deadly to 700 yards too. I set mine up for mountains in talley rings and leupold 3-9x33 ultralight with 7/8's target knob and kenton speed dial to match when drop data was collected. 100 percent factory gear and ammo and it was deadly, and 7 lbs on the nose! It was my personal limit for recoil but not over. Fantastic choice, that rig is still in the family.

Edit...i thought you stayed with .270...that thing is gonna touch you a little.