Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Default Mountain Pine Beetle compensation

With all the crap coming out of BC lately, why on earth is Alberta not suing the ever living he77 out of the BC government for the destruction that was allowed to happen to the forests of Alberta by not stopping the outbreak (of MPB) when the government of BC had the chance and chose not to?

Food for thought....
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
With all the crap coming out of BC lately, why on earth is Alberta not suing the ever living he77 out of the BC government for the destruction that was allowed to happen to the forests of Alberta by not stopping the outbreak (of MPB) when the government of BC had the chance and chose not to?

Food for thought....
Agree, tit for tat. I remember my uncle in Burns lake showing us the miles of red trees that the beetles had killed. That was 30 plus yrs back. From what he told me, it started in a park but the gov and greenies would not clear cut the park to stop them. Not sure how true that story is.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:29 AM

and the wildfires they let burn by not having proper management and spending the money to control their precious forests

those of us with breathing problems need the province to sue on our behalf

Cement Bench
Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Agree, tit for tat. I remember my uncle in Burns lake showing us the miles of red trees that the beetles had killed. That was 30 plus yrs back. From what he told me, it started in a park but the gov and greenies would not clear cut the park to stop them. Not sure how true that story is.
That is exactly what happened. It could have been stopped.
And that park you're thinking of would be Tweedsmuir Park.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

that is what happened in a nut shell

I approached the govt of ab and asked about clear cutting by logging a area a mile wide or so every 20 miles for pine nettle and wildfire management

I am not a environmentalist, just wanted more logging and a side benefit for quad trails and camping and so on
Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 AM

Not many nowadays know what actually happened. Perhaps a bug needs to be put in Nixon's ear. He may take it and run....
Old 05-02-2019, 10:55 AM

Because AB would NEVER win a court battle about that maybe if the BC govt was found transporting infected trees into AB to monopolize the logging industry..?.. even though they have the same issues with the bug we do? Governments cant control where bugs go sure they can manage them with fire, pesticides, single tree treatments... Maybe treatment and mitigation efforts were mismanaged (for both BC and AB) but good luck proving that. A legal battle sounds like a huge waste of time and resources for both govts on this issue.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM

If we allowed natural forest fires to burn 80+ years ago this wouldn't be an issue today. Build boreal towns with a break around them.

As for human caused wildfires, the education is there, but far too many people wandering out are self entitled idiots that don't deserve anything that makes a spark or even anything with a pointy end.

Colin
Old 05-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
and the wildfires they let burn by not having proper management and spending the money to control their precious forests

those of us with breathing problems need the province to sue on our behalf

Cement Bench
We need more forest fires.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
you are correct but we need to control how far forest fires can burn,

my idea still is not to burn more than a few miles, not HUNDREDS OF MILES WITHOUT A BREAK OR A PROPER CHANCE TO BRING THE FIRE UNDER CONTROL

up north we could lose millions of acres

Cement Bench
Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
That is exactly what happened. It could have been stopped.
And that park you're thinking of would be Tweedsmuir Park.
Alberta is repeating this with Jasper . There's gong to be a nasty fire in that area in the near future .

Quote:
There's no value in burning they need to log the crap out of the infected areas including the parks .
Old 05-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post

There's no value in burning they need to log the crap out of the infected areas including the parks .
Yes I agree with logging infected areas. Was referring to northern Alberta in general. Unless it puts community’s at risk.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yes I agree with logging infected areas. Was referring to northern Alberta in general. Unless it puts community’s at risk.
The one bad thing that we are not talking about..yet! Is the fact that those pesky little beetles love to get up into the wind and land wherever the wind stops...these bugs are very hard to control, very cooold prolonged temps in winter do the job, but if they live through the winter buried into trees..look out as these things can eat a ton of leaves in no time..very ugly bug to kill off!
That's all I know for today...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-03-2019, 08:49 AM

You gotta be kidding.
Nobody can stop rampaging pests or disease.
Yes, BC could have done more. But short of burning down all of BC's old pine forest, nothing would suffice.
Climate change allows the beetle larvae to over winter.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM

How the heck do you fight this insect effectively other than fire or extreme cold. By the looks of it in Hinton area they are pretty much hooped fighting it. What I would like to know is why the logging companies only replant with pine? Around here all you see is replanted cutblocks full of nothing but pine. Are the forestry companies looking forward not going to be running almost completely out of supply of timber due to only planting pine?

I know nothing about logging, just curious if anyone is knowledgeable on what the industry has planned to mitigate the effects of this long term.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:30 AM

Bdub, you "hit nail on the head" Planting lodgepole pine is stupid, they like pine because easy to re-establish and grows fast. However no way they will get to maturity in 100+ years before pine beatle nails them again.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Pine is planted because that is predominately what is cut and what is legislated to be replaced because that is what grew there originally. In Alberta you need to replace the forest to species across the landscape similar to what was there before. Pine is also planted because that is what grows on that ecosite in many cases, especially around the eastern slopes otherwise you would see different tree species in more locations. Also a lot of sites naturally regenerate to pine even if you tried to convert it to a spruce stand by planting spruce on some of the richer pine sites. All tree species are able to be killed by insects, spruce beetle is doing a number on spruce as well in parts of BC, 341,000 hectares since 2014 around Prince George and Douglas Fir beetle kills thousands of hectares of douglas fir around the coast yearly. Due to fire suppression the age class of the forest is tipped to large areas of even aged and mature forest which is why beetle is doing so well. The more resilient forest is a mixture of young and old stands across the landscape.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
Pine is planted because that is predominately what is cut and what is legislated to be replaced because that is what grew there originally. In Alberta you need to replace the forest to species across the landscape similar to what was there before. Pine is also planted because that is what grows on that ecosite in many cases, especially around the eastern slopes otherwise you would see different tree species in more locations. Also a lot of sites naturally regenerate to pine even if you tried to convert it to a spruce stand by planting spruce on some of the richer pine sites. All tree species are able to be killed by insects, spruce beetle is doing a number on spruce as well in parts of BC, 341,000 hectares since 2014 around Prince George and Douglas Fir beetle kills thousands of hectares of douglas fir around the coast yearly. Due to fire suppression the age class of the forest is tipped to large areas of even aged and mature forest which is why beetle is doing so well. The more resilient forest is a mixture of young and old stands across the landscape.
https://www.quesnelobserver.com/news...n-the-cariboo/ Douglas Fir Beetle on the rise
Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 PM

I agree more fires are needed, it seems now that when one gets away, we are powerless to stop it. Looking at anniversary video of Ft. McMurray fires and shocked again by how high/hot the flames in the trees were. 4 -5 times the height of mature pines was a fire ball. Pine beetle killed wood is even dryer that that. Scary. Apparently bug killed wood is good to harvest for a year or 2 after bugs. Red tape needs to get out of the way and have all this logged as the kill moves, might slow it down if you run the larvae through the mill instead of letting them hatch.