Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Until we are provided with more info, it's impossible to for see which direction Srd is going to go and why. trying to come up with solution is even harder.

I for one would like to know when the majority of the rams are killed in this province. I would suspect the first couple of days and the last. I would like to know how many get taken in the first week?

Perhaps an archery season before the regular season would help save a few legal rams, and maybe enough to make that % go up. Or changing anything that is height of the land off a highway to bow only access.Flame away, but we all know, that would help sheep herds huge in this province!
Actually this is a stellar idea , as there is currently no archery season for sheep other than 410... Myabe having some guys out chasing sheep before the rifle guys will decrease the amount of rams being harvested opening week ..
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Until we are provided with more info, it's impossible to for see which direction Srd is going to go and why. trying to come up with solution is even harder.

I for one would like to know when the majority of the rams are killed in this province. I would suspect the first couple of days and the last. I would like to know how many get taken in the first week?

Perhaps an archery season before the regular season would help save a few legal rams, and maybe enough to make that % go up. Or changing anything that is height of the land off a highway to bow only access.

Flame away, but we all know, that would help sheep herds huge in this province!
Has SRD said we are killing too young of rams? I'm not sure if they have said that or if it is something surmised on here. I know that Wyoming believes that rams are mature at 6 years of age and past mature at 8. They can't believe the rams we let go to waste on the mountain every year.
It is with total disgust that i read your archery proposal. How classy do you have to be to propose something that further segregates hunters to the profit of the few. People like you and your ideas make SRD rub their hands together with glee.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Actually this is a stellar idea , as there is currently no archery season for sheep other than 410... Myabe having some guys out chasing sheep before the rifle guys will decrease the amount of rams being harvested opening week ..
No, young rams get killed by the highway every year. Access kills. What they are killed with doesn't make the difference.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Has SRD said we are killing too young of rams? I'm not sure if they have said that or if it is something surmised on here. I know that Wyoming believes that rams are mature at 6 years of age and past mature at 8. They can't believe the rams we let go to waste on the mountain every year.
It is with total disgust that i read your archery proposal. How classy do you have to be to propose something that further segregates hunters to the profit of the few. People like you and your ideas make SRD rub their hands together with glee.
I lost $100 bucks on you 209,thanx , I said you would post your anti archery post within a 1/2 an hour!

Your right though, I like your idea better..........which one was it again?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I lost $100 bucks on you 209,thanx , I said you would post your anti archery post within a 1/2 an hour!

Your right though, I like your idea better..........which one was it again?
Bet small time lose small time.

If you look closely I didn't slag archery I slagged the glutton that would volunteer to profit over fellow sportsman. Pure class..
Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Bet small time lose small time.

If you look closely I didn't slag archery I slagged the glutton that would volunteer to profit over fellow sportsman. Pure class..
Always the first to criticize 209, and the last to offer an opinion or suggestion !

I have nothing to profit !

But it is the only species yet to go on a archery season.......I didnt come up with it, i heard it from a response i got to one of my emails.

You've never slagged archery, no NOT at all!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Always the first to criticize 209, and the last to offer an opinion or suggestion !

I have nothing to profit !

But it is the only species yet to go on a archery season.......I didnt come up with it, i heard it from a response i got to one of my emails.

You've never slagged archery, no NOT at all!
Pmouth what again was the problem? Ya that's right we don't know but not knowing doesn't stop you from trying to hog more special season for yourself. Call me what you want you can't run away from the shame of what you just proposed.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Pmouth what again was the problem? Ya that's right we don't know but not knowing doesn't stop you from trying to hog more special season for yourself. Call me what you want you can't run away from the shame of what you just proposed.
Shame for what? I don't see anything shameful and i'm not running either!

You sound like,as If i had the power in my hands...lol

Go have a hot coffee, watch some seinfeld re-runs and relax! We are on the same side 209 ! We need the info , to see the direction!!!! Otherwise everything is a possibility. Now take the knife out of my back !

Last edited by pottymouth; 01-08-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

:
Actually there`s no archery season for black bears, cougar, bison and goats either. I wouldn`t support further fragmenting the sheep season and taking opportunity away from hunters. Ya, I know everyone can pick up a bow but right now they don`t have to and not everyone would so it would reduce opportunity. I`d rather see some other management options looked at other than keeping hunters out of the mountains.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Actually there`s no archery season for black bears, cougar, bison and goats either. I wouldn`t support further fragmenting the sheep season and taking opportunity away from hunters. Ya, I know everyone can pick up a bow but right now they don`t have to and not everyone would so it would reduce opportunity. I`d rather see some other management options looked at other than keeping hunters out of the mountains.
Those 4 animals aren't managed like sheep in this province !

Either way, hopefully not, but we are looking at lost opportunity for hunters in some way shape of form. One will always be worse than the other ! I don't want to see people kept off the mountains either , sheephunter
Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
sheephunter

I was just pointing out that sheep were not the only species without an archery season as you stated. As I said, I definitely wouldn't support your idea. Let's manage sheep....not hunters. I think it's important to look at the big picture here, not an opportunity to create a new opportunity for some at the expense of many.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I was just pointing out that sheep were not the only species without an archery season as you stated. As I said, I definitely wouldn't support your idea. Let's manage sheep....not hunters. I think it's important to look at the big picture here, not an opportunity to create a new opportunity for some at the expense of many.
Some of the other proposals, may reduce alot more opportunity !
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Some of the other proposals, may reduce alot more opportunity !
I didn't realize that an archery season was a proposal that would achieve the results SRD is looking for. It's not in the info presented at AGMAG or that they have provided me with. Where did you hear that this was a proposal?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize that an archery season was a proposal that would achieve the results SRD is looking for. It's not in the info presented at AGMAG or that they have provided me with. Where did you hear that this was a proposal?
I didn't say it was a proposal.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I didn't say it was a proposal.
Okay? You pretty well implied it was above when you you said "some of the other proposals". What e-mail did you see this mentioned in? From who?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM

SRD Seems to be very concerned about the horn size study, showing a decrease in length and mass. If that study can be trusted? I don't know.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
SRD Seems to very concerned about the horn size study, showing a decrease in length and mass. If that study can be trusted? I don't know.
They mentioned decreasing age to me as well. Apparently all that data came from registered rams although I'm not sure how accurate that data is either.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Okay? You pretty well implied it was above when you you said "some of the other proposals". What e-mail did you see this mentioned in? From who?
"some of the other proposals" I was talking about the ones in post #1. Damn 2nd language!

It came up in a phone conversation i was having, and it was a side note that was muttered to me. Nothing on paper trail, and not the focus discussion either !
Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
"some of the other proposals" I was talking about the ones in post #1. Damn 2nd language!

It came up in a phone conversation i was having, and it was a side note that was muttered to me. Nothing on paper trail, and not the focus discussion either !
Okay?

Quote:
.......I didnt come up with it, i heard it from a response i got to one of my emails.
No big deal potty but I've been working really hard to track down the real goods on this one and your comment above kind of sent me for a loop. I thought I had a handle on all the options being discussed by SRD. So this was just some idle chit chat......not with SRD? Just trying to get a handle on all the facts. They seem to change daily right now with SRD.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
?

Perhaps an archery season before the regular season would help save a few legal rams, and maybe enough to make that % go up. Or changing anything that is height of the land off a highway to bow only access.

Flame away, but we all know, that would help sheep herds huge in this province!
how would an earlier season save anything? the same rams would die in the same numbers, just with a different weapon. that wouldnt help sheep herds at all....but would help bowhunters.

now if a general archery season came before a draw rifle season, that would really be cause for some beetching from the non bowhunters out there.

sorry, dont see it solving anything.

if srd wants to see more rams live a little longer, the only sure way is a draw.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
if srd wants to see more rams live a little longer, the only sure way is a draw.
Actually full curl would likely do it better than a draw.....if that's what they are trying to do.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
if wyoming rams are reaching full curl at 6, then i guess that could make sense. i know that a good chunk of wilmore sheep arent even legal until they are 7 1/2. under current law here, they cant be killed until wyoming thinks they are over the hill. i dont think that neccessarily a fair comparison.

as for the second part....i know you arent surprised.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually full curl would likely do it better than a draw.....if that's what they are trying to do.
if thats what they are trying to do, then full curl restriction doesnt work and you already know why. a lot of rams never meet that definition. i suspect an even higher percentage in the wilmore where they grow so slow. most arent even legal until 7 1/2 and id guess a pretty high number would die of old age with lamb tips and not make full.

the draw would be the only way to ensure that all the younguns arent killed. a draw doesnt have to mean any ram you realize. how many places are draw for elk, and also a 6 point minimum?

it seems a lot of people think its their god given right to hunt sheep every year. i remember the same arguments when mules went to draw. to be fair, i know the wait time will be much longer than for a deer. of course, look at all the guys willing to wait 10 plus years for a chance at suffield elk. if i could draw 10 years from now and hunt sheep with the opportunity to see several mature rams in a week and a couple real big ones, long trip rather than 1 or 2 squeakers a year, id glady accept the chance.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Shame for what? I don't see anything shameful and i'm not running either!

You sound like,as If i had the power in my hands...lol

Go have a hot coffee, watch some seinfeld re-runs and relax! We are on the same side 209 ! We need the info , to see the direction!!!! Otherwise everything is a possibility. Now take the knife out of my back !
Sure I'll pull the knife out of your back as soon as you take the one out you rammed into the guts of every sheep hunter in Alberta in your disgusting attemt to improve your access from the misery of others in this fiasco.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
if thats what they are trying to do, then full curl restriction doesnt work and you already know why. a lot of rams never meet that definition. i suspect an even higher percentage in the wilmore where they grow so slow. most arent even legal until 7 1/2 and id guess a pretty high number would die of old age with lamb tips and not make full.

the draw would be the only way to ensure that all the younguns arent killed. a draw doesnt have to mean any ram you realize. how many places are draw for elk, and also a 6 point minimum?
That's why it would allow rams to grow old and it would totally prevent young rams from being killed. A draw would work but only if numbers were super restrictive....even at 4/5. I'm not advocating for either but full curl would achieve their management goal with no loss of opportunity.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's why it would allow rams to grow old and it would totally prevent young rams from being killed. A draw would work but only if numbers were super restrictive....even at 4/5. I'm not advocating for either but full curl would achieve their management goal with no loss of opportunity.
sorry, i added to my post above that answers this.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Okay?

No big deal potty but I've been working really hard to track down the real goods on this one and your comment above kind of sent me for a loop. I thought I had a handle on all the options being discussed by SRD. So this was just some idle chit chat......not with SRD? Just trying to get a handle on all the facts. They seem to change daily right now with SRD.
I bet, and depends where or who! Still waiting for the email responses.

Quote:
how would an earlier season save anything? the same rams would die in the same numbers, just with a different weapon. that wouldnt help sheep herds at all....but would help bowhunters.

now if a general archery season came before a draw rifle season, that would really be cause for some beetching from the non bowhunters out there.

sorry, dont see it solving anything.

That would only be true if bowhunters had the same success rate !
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sheep, the problem is that in some areas of Alberta, virtually no sheep will ever reach full curl, at least according to some of the biologists I've talked to. Is your information different?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Your absolutely right.....! Hunting opportunity would be the same!!, we know that could be scary in some area's for harvest opportunity.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
sorry, i added to my post above that answers this.
While the dream of big rams on every hill is a nice one, the draws in the U.S. sure haven't had those results. There are a few primes areas in Montana for sure but look at the info 209 posted from Wyoming.....they aren't killing big rams.....and draws are once in a lifetime if at all. The data I've seen just doesn't support a province wide draw. Apply for Cadomin if you want a Suffield type opportunity for sheep. It already exists.