Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Sounds like my brother in law has been teaching those sale people on ballistics... you know, the guy who always takes his deer at 600 yards and only doing neck shots with his .300 mag which he holds 6 inches high.
I guess by that logic I should be using my .303 to hunt deer at 1300 yards, that's what the iron sights go to...
Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM

ive heard convo's like a lot of what is already posted and im not sure if its as much funny as scary.

my old man is a little guy....he needs a youth stock or a shortened lop on his guns....we went into wholesale to look at an xbolt micro hunter....they didnt have one....the sales guys says "we just got in a perfect alternative!"

he came back with a H&R single shot 243 with some retarded looking synthetic stock on it...i said "no, we are looking at nice firearms only" he started to tell me how that single shot will outshoot the browing because single shots are always more accurate...i had to walk away.

In the back of my mind i still kinda think one of the guys there put him up to messing with me....i hope
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
A clerk selling a 36 inch barrel bolt action 12 ga. to a rookie.

The Marlin Goose gun!
great gun for a rookie!! easy to aim down, and if you miss the goose just hit it out of the air!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM

Default Funny things you have overheard at a gun counter.

Whispered: "Anwar, look how this lovely Browining semi-automatic firearm breaks down into conveniently hide-able pieces. Allahu Akbar!"

Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM

wss leth.
cust. i need a boss cr for my browning a-bolt. Do you have any instock or how long would it take to order one??
staff. Boss cr??? that sounds custom. you beter go talk to a gunsmith.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM

Default Reloading is better.....

I was in Bass Pro a year ago and while looking at some powder heard a young staff member talking to an old fella aboout reloading.
He said 'reloaded rounds were way better. When I shoot a factory round it goes 'bang' but when I shoot a reloaded round it goes'BANG' because there is lots of room in the case to pack in the powder.'

More scary than funny. Haven't seen that guy there anymore so maybe his gun went BOOM
Old 09-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Clerk-"What can I help you with today?"

Customer-" I need 308 bullets"

Clerk- "What type and grain?"

Customer-"Whatever is cheapest"

Clerk-"For hunting or target?"

Customer-"Hunting"

Clerk hands box of bullets to customer-"Will these do?"

Customer looks confused "I asked for bullets, what are these?"

Clerk-" A box of 50 bullets, the cheapest softpoints that we have"

Customer-" I need bullets, I can't shoot these"

Clerk-"You need loaded ammunition?"

Customer-"I need bullets"
Haha holy man that's funny. And the best part is that he's talking to the clerk like he's the idiot...
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM

A 30-06 is all you'll ever need.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
A 30-06 is all you'll ever need.
Guy sounds like a total nutbar
Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Whispered: "Anwar, look how this lovely Browining semi-automatic firearm breaks down into conveniently hide-able pieces. Allahu Akbar!"

Oko...I know you're kidding but a few years ago I was in WSS and two well dressed fellas from the middle east were at the counter ahead of me, and all they wanted to look at were semi-auto's...and yup...they wound up getting the Browning BAR. Coincidence?? No mention of Allahu Akbar was heard.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Not a gun story

You said funny storys at the gun counter, years ago in WSS Calgary you bought your hunting license at the gun counter and I heard a staff member telling a customer and his visiting relative that they did not need a hunting license for migratory, just go to the post office and get a migratory license.

Usually I just listen and laugh, like most the posts here, but I could not let these guys go out and poach, so I stepped in and informed them that the staffer was wrong, asked for a copy of the regulations and pointed them in the right direction. They left with the needed paperwork.

After they left I looked at the staffer and politely told him to brush up on the regs if he intends to act as an expert, his response was a lame, "well I only hunt deer anyway so I'm not up on the bird regulations". I just shook my head.

Scary.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Recently in Wholesale Sports in Saskatoon - I asked for Hoppe's No. 9 for Black Powder.

Clerk behind the gun counter had no idea what category of stuff Hoppe's No. 9 was, not a clue, let alone the variety for Black Powder.

Clearly they get some of these employees from outer space, certainly not from shooting sportsmen.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM

We were in Dallas watching a hockey game and killed some time by going to a range to shoot some handguns, the place was also a retailer. Guy beside me asked the clerk to show him the smallest gun he had, when the clerk brought him the peice, his responce was "bro! are you joiking with me? How am I supposed to stuff this thing in my shorts?" needles to say he didn't buy it.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeya View Post
We were in Dallas watching a hockey game and killed some time by going to a range to shoot some handguns, the place was also a retailer. Guy beside me asked the clerk to show him the smallest gun he had, when the clerk brought him the peice, his responce was "bro! are you joiking with me? How am I supposed to stuff this thing in my shorts?" needles to say he didn't buy it.
You've obviously never heard of Thunderwear.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 09-22-2012, 12:39 AM

".243 ish da best moose gun ever......me and my friendsh sheen dis moose out in da bushes.....dey are bangin away.....nutin' happensh. I take out da too-fordy t'ree and bang! Wamo! Dat big bull falls down..."

"No kidding....how far?"

"Ohhh.....mile, mile and a half, two miles anyways....."

Best moment working in the gunshop ever.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 AM
Banned

These stories aren't funny, they are sad and scary!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:31 AM

Default WSS in Calgary

A sales person known to be thick as a plank from previous dealings was busy talking up how perfect a .577 mini mold was for the customer's 45-70.The same plant I talked to on the phone assured me he had just taking in a mint Savage 99 in .250 and would hold it for me.I drove the 100 miles the next day walked into the store and asked for the clerk and gun.Out he comes with a savage 99 in .22 HP clearly stamped on the barrel and in about 10%condition.Wanted to club him with it but they had cameras............Harold
Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Banned

Ok, this one is funny as I got a chuckle out of it with the salesman at Russel's. My wife had purchased a Leupold range finder for my Xmas present. When I unwrapped it, I tried ranging a few things around home. One of which was my neighbour's black angus cow. The darned thing wouldn't range any black cows, red, blond, no problem but not black. When I returned it for exchange, the salesman suggested that I avoid shooting black cows. I exchanged it for a Leica.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 AM

Standing at the customer service counter at CT the young man in front of me was buying a rifle scope and two boxes of ammunition.

I says to him "Did you buy a new gun today?"

He was just wired you could tell. He says "yeah, I got me a .300 win mag out of the classifieds this afternoon. I can't wait to shoot it!"

He continues, "I just got my PAL last week and couldn't wait to get a gun, this is the first one I could find for sale."

"So let's clarify something i says to him. Did you buy a .300 win mag or a .300WSM?"

"A .300 win mag."

"You're sure?"

"Yes."

"So why do you have one box of .300 win mag ammo, and one box of .300WSM?"

"They are both the same so it won't be a problem."

Needless to say I gave him a short lesson in the differences between the two and he walked out with the right shells, but sheeshkabobs how do people get through life?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM

^^^^^^^

That reminds me of the story my Dad told me quite a few years ago while he was working at a gun counter....which he did for most of his life.

Guy comes in asking for some Winchester .300WBY ammo...Dad says Winchester doesn't make .300WBY ammo, they only (at the time) make .300Win Mag ammo. Dad said, "We only carry the Weatherby Ammo for a .300WBY....and maybe have some Remington stuff"....guy says, "I always buy the Winchester 180gr Power-Point .300 Win Mag Ammo for my .300 Weatherby.....that Weatherby Ammo is too expensive!".....that customer also received an education on what a barrel stamp and a head stamp and the difference between .300 Win Mag and .300WBY was....

LC
Old 09-22-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Ok, this one is funny as I got a chuckle out of it with the salesman at Russel's. My wife had purchased a Leupold range finder for my Xmas present. When I unwrapped it, I tried ranging a few things around home. One of which was my neighbour's black angus cow. The darned thing wouldn't range any black cows, red, blond, no problem but not black. When I returned it for exchange, the salesman suggested that I avoid shooting black cows. I exchanged it for a Leica.
Need a special draw for dem black cows eh?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 AM

My dad work as a salesman here in quebec.. and he saw some very scary things...

- Customer : * Drop guns pieces on the counter *.. can you put this togheter i cant figure out how..

- dad : * takes the action, open it * Helloooo 300 win mag amo in the chamber.

- customer : * Hands 12 gauge pump to the salesman * For some reason the shell dont come up they get stuck down there..

- Staff : Cycle the pump once to see whats going on.. * cycle it twice * for some reason press the trigger everytime.. on the 2nd time BOOM ! 12 had a shotshell stuck in and the gun fire a shot in the roof.

- Staff * zombie stare *

1 thing i think anyone should consider when touching any firearms is making sure the gun is safe and have 0 amo in the chamber and magasine
Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM

I can't remember the exact conversation, but I over heard this at the gun counter at a sporting goods store.

customer: Can I see some 17hmr ammo? I heard its great caliber.

clerk: hands him some to look at.

customer- It looks pretty small. Can it drop a deer?

clerk- Techincally it could but I don't think you should be shooting deer with a 17hmr.

customer- ya I think I'll stick to my 22 mag for deer than. It drops them pretty good.

and the customer was 100% serious....

Another story...

A clearly drunk young man comes up to me just outside a sporting goods store. He just came out of the store.. It was saturday afternoon and he couldn't walk straight he was so drunk. And he stumbles up to me and says to me "45/70!!!! They ain't got none in stock for me eh! Told me they'd have to order me some.... 5$ a shot for 45/70.. no one shoots it cause its so heavy so special order for me eh".... 90% of me just wanted to give him a smack and drop him on the sidewalk.. 10% of me wanted to say "good for you buddy.. but I just bought some 45/70 there yesterday and my 120lbs girl friend shoots it just fine".. The 10% of me won and I said my peice and walked away.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense
Red face

This story stars me.... back a couple of years ago.

Some of the old timers here may remember Jack's Gun Rack that used to be on 118th in Edmonton. I had gone into the store as a young teenager working my first full time job eager to buy my first large caliber rifle. Having done my research by reading endless reams of stories by Jack O'Conner my caliber choice had been made. Now it was down to what make, model and action.

I was, and still am, a bolt action type of guy so that reduced the field somewhat. Jack was being patient with me and allowing a "newbie kid" all the time he needed to make this difficult decision while still waiting on other customers as they came and went. I really liked the Ruger M77 but was having some issues with the top load clip instead of a drop clip. Jack also had (if memory serves and it rarely does anymore) a Winchester, a Midland a Remington and perhaps some others laying on his counter in front of me.

As mentioned Jack was being patient and informative but I think he was tiring of a kid stuck in a wonderland of new firearms.

Jack: "Well, any decision yet?"

Me: "I dunno, I really like the Ruger but that top load clip I don't care for much. A buddy of mine has one and he says every time he drops the bottom open he has shells dropping everywhere on the ground and in the snow"

Jack: ...as he fixes me with a hard look..."Well then I submit to you that your friend is a fumble fingered idiot!" Then he started putting rifles away.

I bought the Ruger (on lay-away) and have never regretted it although I STILL wish it had a drop clip. LOL.

Okay, it was MORE than a "couple of years ago...sort of like 40 some odd years ago.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM

I was told at WSS on time by their self proclaimed "military expert" that I would never again be able to get any 7.62x39 ammo in Canada because the Americans did'nt want us to have it.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Cool

I wouldn't go so far as to say Savages are ugly; homely though, i sure wouldn't take one home.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:54 AM

The owner of a small gun store told me a 22-250 is a good deer round if you know how to use it, I told her it was illegal but apparently that didn't phase her in the least. Needless to say I haven't been back to that store.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
The owner of a small gun store told me a 22-250 is a good deer round if you know how to use it, I told her it was illegal but apparently that didn't phase her in the least. Needless to say I haven't been back to that store.
Depends on where you are. I know for a fact its perfectly legal in BC and Manitoba.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 PM

not the gun counter...
optics counter Cabelas edmon couple days after its opening.
Guy buying his gf a pair of binos. Salesdude starts passing low enders and workin up the models for him to handle and he quickly hands them over to her to try. after several pairs... he and the salesman commented that THIS pair was the best [swaros] and told her to just count points on the caribou mount at the far wall. Well she takes the glasses spins around looking right over my head towards the mount. I can see one objective cap flap is totally covered and shes focusin the heck outa them and straining. "These are the worst pair yet" she claims as bf and sales dude roll thier eyes at each other...lol I smiled all the way home over that ditty...chain
Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 PM

So many of them. I was only open for 3 years before my store fire but one of my favorites. Customer trying to get me to trade on his gun. Weatherby sub moa 308. bushnell fixed 10X with adjustable turret. Yup shes dialed in for 900 yards, worst thing about shooting them out that far is its hard to find the deer after. There just a speck way out there! I wish I could remember all them. Worst part was all the guys that used to brag about there poaching, Could never tell if they were just talking **** or was for real. Zombies,Conspiracy etc etc.