Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
7mm-08...lol
Better option in my opinion but some guys like the purse that comes with the creedmore
Old 11-14-2023, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Better option in my opinion but some guys like the purse that comes with the creedmore
The purse is nice to have alright but from the guys I’ve talked to that have the 6.5 CM there legs get cold while wearing a dress hunting.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:51 AM

The options are unlimited, all depends on what you want, they will all do the job if you do your part

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:38 AM

This is the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b View Post
Just get another 243! My vote would be a tikka with 8 twist. When that burns out rebarrel 6cm.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
So, I'm stuck can't decide, I have a 243 love the caliber but it's going to my son as his first gun , now I'm stuck between 25-06 and 6.5 creedmoor, not wanting a 308 just don't like the round and not looking for a rifle with a kick that's why I love the 243 , also not going to put a break on the gun .
Not shooting long range 400 at most and only hunting rifle, only some plinking

What do all you have to say about it,

The rifle will come once caliber is picked
7-08....120gr pills....or 140gr pills if you want a wee bit more umphh.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2023, 10:34 AM

25-06... Such a great gun. Versatile... 85gr yote destroyers and 120 gr deer, elk, antelope, and sheep gun.

All the same, we're splitting hairs here. If anything switch from 243 to 6mm Rem. Love mine!

Cant go wrong with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Many people bought into the hype, then realized that there was nothing magic about the cartridge, and tried something else. The 6.5CM is a good cartridge, but no cartridge could live up to the hype that it received.
I actually don’t recall it being very common to hear people disappointed in their 6.5 Creedmoor. What aspect would you think they’d find disappointing?
Old 11-14-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I actually don’t recall it being very common to hear people disappointed in their 6.5 Creedmoor. What aspect would you think they’d find disappointing?
I posted that the cartridge didn't live up to the hype, no cartridge could ever live up to that hype. The more gullible people assumed that like Huskema scopes owning a 6.5CM would make them a long distance shooter. Of course that is nonsense , but some people fell for the marketing. As for the number of used 6.5CM rifles, many people heard so much about the 6.5CM, they had to try one. If they were that sold on them, they would have kept their 6.5CM rifles. You bought one yourself, and didn't keep it very long.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:07 PM

I would go find an old Husqvarna / Dumoulin / Win Model 70 in .243. one set of die for both firearms etc.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The mythically magical 6.5 Creedmoore!

Like in reality what does the Creed bring to the table that a host of other cartridges didn’t?
.257 Roberts
.25-06
6.5 Swede
6.5 mannlicher schoenauer
.260 REM
7x57
7mm-08
Etcetera etcetera

There are no absolutes
Old 11-14-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Like in reality what does the Creed bring to the table that a host of other cartridges didn’t?
.257 Roberts
.25-06
6.5 Swede
.260 REM
7x57
7mm-08
Etcetera etcetera

I faced this dilemma in 2018 I was in the market for a smaller big game rifle that would serve double duty at a range gun and wasn’t so punishing from the bench. I was set on a .264 bore and figured the creedmoor was the ticket. While it is a fine capable cartridge in its own right I decided being as I had an old rem 700 ADL in .30-06 I would just have it rebarrled in 6.5x55 and call it a day. The creedmooor does offer more factory offerings to the Swede but as I handload it was irrelevant to me. I grabbed a #5 barrel 1-8 twist on a Black Friday sale and sent it off to the smith with a few pieces of virgin lapua brass to make an adjustment to the bolt nose. The rifle was throated for 120-140 grain modern projectiles without the usually long 6.5x55 throat and I was off the the races. Performance wise it is on par or slightly ahead of the .260/6.5 creed and with a good supply of lapua brass makes a fine target/hunting rifle. In my case the only thing the creed offered was a short action and better factory ammo supply…..
Old 11-14-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
many people bought into the hype, then realized that there was nothing magic about the cartridge, and tried something else. The 6.5cm is a good cartridge, but no cartridge could live up to the hype that it received.
100%
Old 11-14-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

.257 Roberts
.25-06
6.5 Swede
.260 REM
7x57
7mm-08
Etcetera etcetera
Maybe I am wrong, but I just see it a close cousin to a 260 Rem, of which there is very little wrong with. I never own very many rifles at any given time. If I did own a bunch, a 6.5 Creedmoor would fill the bill nicely purely as a deer rifle, as would any on the above list.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong, but I just see it a close cousin to a 260 Rem, of which there is very little wrong with. I never own very many rifles at any given time. If I did own a bunch, a 6.5 Creedmoor would fill the bill nicely purely as a deer rifle, as would any on the above list.
The 6.5CM was not marketed as a cartridge that there is nothing wrong with, it was marketed as a cartridge that was somehow superior to pretty much all other cartridges. Your 6.5PRC can do anything that the Creedmoor can do as a hunting rifle, and is actually a better all around big game cartridge.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
270 is a nice fast calibre. Low recoil. Every deer I’ve shot with mine has left a nice blood trail.
This^^^it's my fave. I used to work in a gun shop part time in Northern Ontario and during the season when hunters were travelling I cannot tell you how many came in that had forgot their ammo at home. Even though we were well stocked with many brands and calibres the oddball calibres were a crapshoot and we were in a city of 50,000 and during an era of plenty, not like the market today where ammo of any kind can be extremely difficult to locate at times and reloading supplies are almost non-existent.
As those hunters got further away from the bigger towns they found out the hard way that little general stores, hardware stores, lodges etc in the more remote hunting areas carried about 4 or 5 calibre choices that were amongst the most popular. I've seen guys with oddball cartridges unable to acquire anything 8-12 hours from home and be relegated to potting grouse or catching fish all week for the camp while the other guys hunted moose and deer. I would never buy any rifle in a calibre that you cannot find ammo for in the middle of nowhere...
Old 11-14-2023, 12:49 PM

I'm pretty sure the 6.5 CM has been one of the best, if not the best, selling hunting cartridge/rifle in Canada/US for close to a decade now. It stands to reason that there are alot of used ones on the market.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I posted that the cartridge didn't live up to the hype, no cartridge could ever live up to that hype. The more gullible people assumed that like Huskema scopes owning a 6.5CM would make them a long distance shooter. Of course that is nonsense , but some people fell for the marketing. As for the number of used 6.5CM rifles, many people heard so much about the 6.5CM, they had to try one. If they were that sold on them, they would have kept their 6.5CM rifles. You bought one yourself, and didn't keep it very long.
When I read hype, I think of marketing, but Hornady never made untrue claims or did they?

I am honestly asking.

I never even think of the crowd that shoots a mile, as I am not a part of that pursuit, so I don’t know.

I read a lot on 24 hr Campfire, and most of the hunting reports are excellent as a deer rifle, and placed right, can make short work of moose and elk too.

Just like most light deer cartridges.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
When I read hype, I think of marketing, but Hornady never made untrue claims or did they?

I am honestly asking.

I never even think of the crowd that shoots a mile, as I am not a part of that pursuit, so I don’t know.

I read a lot on 24 hr Campfire, and most of the hunting reports are excellent as a deer rifle, and placed right, can make short work of moose and elk too.

Just like most light deer cartridges.
When it came to marketing, Hornady went all out with the 6.5CM, from ads, to making sure every magazine and influencial person they had access to reviewed the 6.5CM or wrote about it, to making certain that several manufacturers produced rifles, especially precision/long distance oriented models. No cartridge has been marketed heavier in recent history than the 6.5CM. And marketing does sell, even if the product is in reality , pretty much the same as several existing products. If you spent any time at ranges, you would have been exposed to a lot more of the hype, and you would have seen the expectations, that every rifle in 6.5CM, should shoot sub 1/2moa, with any load. And you would have seen the disappointment, when many of those rifles did no better that 1-1/2 to 2 moa with some factory loads.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:07 PM

So what hype didn’t it live up to?
Old 11-14-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
So what hype didn’t it live up to?
Contrary to what many people expected after seeing the ads and reviews, every 6.5CM rifle isn't going to produce superior accuracy to the other 6.5 cartridges, let alone all of the other hunting cartridges.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:25 PM

Default stick with what you know

stay with a 243!

then you and your son have the same gun.... Speed and shot placement kills with the good bullets available.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Contrary to what many people expected after seeing the ads and reviews, every 6.5CM rifle isn't going to produce superior accuracy to the other 6.5 cartridges, let alone all of the other hunting cartridges.
So accuracy? That’s it?
Old 11-14-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
So accuracy? That’s it?
When at the range ask any 6.5CM shooter, why they chose the 6.5CM. Almost everyone that I have talked to, wanted a precision rifle, and most mentioned long range precision. So accuracy was why they chose the 6.5CM.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
When it came to marketing, Hornady went all out with the 6.5CM, from ads, to making sure every magazine and influencial person they had access to reviewed the 6.5CM or wrote about it, to making certain that several manufacturers produced rifles, especially precision/long distance oriented models. No cartridge has been marketed heavier in recent history than the 6.5CM. And marketing does sell, even if the product is in reality , pretty much the same as several existing products. If you spent any time at ranges, you would have been exposed to a lot more of the hype, and you would have seen the expectations, that every rifle in 6.5CM, should shoot sub 1/2moa, with any load. And you would have seen the disappointment, when many of those rifles did no better that 1-1/2 to 2 moa with some factory loads.
I traded mine for a lovely Finnlight in 270 Win from one of the regs on the forum. Unfired. Don’t ask me what I swapped that one for because I wouldn’t have a clue. LOL.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:46 PM

We used the 6.5 Creed as a step up for my son from his compact 243. I have to say, glad we did. Not that it's any better than a lot of other calibers, but its a very light weight low recoiling rifle that he loves to shoot. I found some Sako ammuniton that's 158 grains it chucks at 2,700 fps (on the box anyway) so it definitely has some jam. That we can buy ammunition anywhere was a big reason for us to go with it, ymmv.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I traded mine for a lovely Finnlight in 270 Win from one of the regs on the forum. Unfired. Don’t ask me what I swapped that one for because I wouldn’t have a clue. LOL.
And it took me nine loads to come up with one accurate load for that 6.5CM, a lot of range time, and components, when components weren't easy to come by, you were as frustrated as I was until I finally came up with a load that it would shoot well. That rifle, and the one after it, are why you were warned, not to ever bring me any more rifles wearing that brand name again.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Meateaters calibre battles

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/fi...-6-5-creedmoor

https://www.themeateater.com/wired-t...-6-5-creedmoor

Interesting reads.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
When at the range ask any 6.5CM shooter, why they chose the 6.5CM. Almost everyone that I have talked to, wanted a precision rifle, and most mentioned long range precision. So accuracy was why they chose the 6.5CM.
Last time I checked, Hornady doesn’t build rifles.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Last time I checked, Hornady doesn’t build rifles.
But they did market the 6.5CM, without Hornady, most people would have never heard of the 6.5CM.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
But they did market the 6.5CM, without Hornady, most people would have never heard of the 6.5CM.
Why in the world would a company develop and bring a cartridge to market and not tell anyone? Every single cartridge developed in the last 100 years has had marketing behind it. Then when one takes off it’s all marketing? Yea right.

I don’t know why some of you guys have such a hate on for new cartridges and new cartridge design. Blows my mind.