Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Winter conditions brings a whole new set of driving skills and dealing with all those who have no clue how to handle it.
Tires and skillset are the main factors for a good trip.
Of course one cannot predict certain situations, but always be alert and please stay off your cell phones and especially texting. I still see many people texting in these conditions.....making traffic worse. We all want to get somewhere....so please be mindful of others and stop being so selfish.

Not pointing fingers at anyone here.....but just making a point.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Problem, imo is ... who decides what the appropraite speed limit is for the conditions? Who's right ? Judgement call ... heck on a beautiful, warm, calm sunny day, you still see people driving 10-30 km/hr under the posted speed limit and people going 10-30 km/hr over the posted limit ... accidents happen at all times of the year, in all kinds of weather ...
100% correct, speed however dictates the outcome.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 PM

Default winter driving

Blowing snow or icy roads with get of of my way attitude= organ donor except for the brain of course.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM

In Calgary, it is not so much a matter of high speed alone although this is getting to be problematic. Rather it is ignorant lane changes and ignorant merging while doing either/both at high speed, often with no signal light or a blink when half way in. Driving "to conditions" is highly subjective. You want to drive the posted speed limit or higher regardless of conditions - fine - but use the speed lane(s) and stay the he** off my fenders. Furthermore, don't use the fast lane with the full expectation of crashing the slower lane simply to gain a few car lengths. Way to much of this is going on and it is this factor that is dangerous. It is not your right to crash a lane or two, just because you are a selfie, and cause the driver behind to jam on the brakes to prevent a hit. Most insulting is when the selfie's wave after doing this as if to say "thank you for letting me in". No wonder road range is becoming the norm in Calgary. There is a huge difference between crashing in at full speed (playing chicken) and indicating in advance that you want in and do a proper lane change. Unfortunately, one of the few ways around this is to tailgate so the selfies can't ply their trade - but this leads to another invitation to a pile up.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Almost witnessed a completely ignorant moron kill someone this morning, on the way to Edmonton on hwy 16 I watched 2 little old ladies pass me then pass a semi ahead of me, then a MORON in a white platinum crewcab came flying up behind them, likely doing 130+ and passed me and the semi, then because he was so goddamn important and could not wait for the little ladies to pull back into the right lane cut off the semi, the old ladies were going back into the right lane and he went between them and the semi, passed them on the shoulder all without even touching his brakes.

If he would have ditched I would have stopped to make sure the RCMP charged him with dangerous driving, there were several witnesses. The poor little blue hairs had to pull over and stop, likely were shaking too bad to keep driving. Remember all this happened within smelling distance of a semi pulling super b's.

I hope Darwin gets this POS before he kills someone.

Please slow down, leave earlier, or go kill yourself before you kill others.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-21-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
In Calgary, it is not so much a matter of high speed alone although this is getting to be problematic. Rather it is ignorant lane changes and ignorant merging while doing either/both at high speed, often with no signal light or a blink when half way in. Driving "to conditions" is highly subjective. You want to drive the posted speed limit or higher regardless of conditions - fine - but use the speed lane(s) and stay the he** off my fenders. Furthermore, don't use the fast lane with the full expectation of crashing the slower lane simply to gain a few car lengths. Way to much of this is going on and it is this factor that is dangerous. It is not your right to crash a lane or two, just because you are a selfie, and cause the driver behind to jam on the brakes to prevent a hit. Most insulting is when the selfie's wave after doing this as if to say "thank you for letting me in". No wonder road range is becoming the norm in Calgary. There is a huge difference between crashing in at full speed (playing chicken) and indicating in advance that you want in and do a proper lane change. Unfortunately, one of the few ways around this is to tailgate so the selfies can't ply their trade - but this leads to another invitation to a pile up.
Agreed.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Almost witnessed a completely ignorant moron kill someone this morning, on the way to Edmonton on hwy 16 I watched 2 little old ladies pass me then pass a semi ahead of me, then a MORON in a white platinum crewcab came flying up behind them, likely doing 130+ and passed me and the semi, then because he was so goddamn important and could not wait for the little ladies to pull back into the right lane cut off the semi, the old ladies were going back into the right lane and he went between them and the semi, passed them on the shoulder all without even touching his brakes.

If he would have ditched I would have stopped to make sure the RCMP charged him with dangerous driving, there were several witnesses. The poor little blue hairs had to pull over and stop, likely were shaking too bad to keep driving. Remember all this happened within smelling distance of a semi pulling super b's.

Ken... Have you not read the posts here. Don't you know it is the majority of sensible drivers that are at fault.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

That is retarded. I don't think that unintentional deaths are prosecuted strongly enough. And for special cases like that, I have coined a new phrase: "Criminal retardation; in which the sole cause of injury or death to another is due to the extreme mentally challenged state of the perpetrator."

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:27 PM

when you have a couple little old ladies passing you
maybe your part of the problem
just sayin
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
when you have a couple little old ladies passing you
maybe your part of the problem
just sayin
Sorry I am not above the law. Speed limits don't apply to you?
I did not know you were a little old bluehair, my apologies.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-24-2013, 05:08 PM

Today was amusing if nothing else. Drove to north battleford and parts of hwy 16 are glare ice. Jackwagons were flying along passing constantly. In 1 mile there was a black car on its roof, a black truck buried in the median and a white semi sitting in the right ditch, went in backwards fast. These morons in particular were not trying hard enough though, they all lived. A few miles down the road though we met 2 ambulances heading west, someone must have given their all.
130+ on ice? Darwin is having a fire sale tonight.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Got to admit I've done this a few times....traffic is going along in a storm and some idiot blows by, usually in a 4x4/AWD, be it pickup or BMW. Shortly after there he is, run off the road. I've stopped, seen that there was little damage to the vehicle, which was running and upright and they were well dressed and warm.....asked if everyone was ok, when they gave an affirmative I told them to enjoy the digging and drove off leaving them there (not in the middle of nowhere mind you).

Sorry, if you're driving reckless and putting me and my family at risk the safest place for you from my point of view is the ditch.
Good post. I agree 100%
Old 12-24-2013, 05:52 PM

Yesterday afternoon just out of Tofield, a pickup that was passing a minivan went straight sideways in one ditch, pulled out of that ditch, then went across the highway ,and sideways in the opposite ditch, then pulled back across the highway, and nosed into the ditch on the right again, and stopped. The amazing part, was that the highway was pretty much bare, and ice free, and it all happened because the driver must have floored the accelerator to cause it all. Then he panicked, and hit the brakes, at the end, or he could have steered out of it, and stayed on the highway. Luckily I was a couple of hundred yards back, and there were no oncoming vehicles for quite a distance. It wasn't speed that caused this, just a driver that was severely lacking in driving skills.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:10 PM

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/pezdwLmU2H4
Old 12-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Lol today a young guy passed me on a secondary road speed limit 80km/h I was going with 70 cause of the ice, he must have been going with 100 cause I lost him right away, lol few hills ahead I seen him upside down lucky he wasn't harmed, but his new car was, stopped wish him merry Christmas and left
Old 12-24-2013, 07:23 PM

the roads are full of darwinites. i drive snowplow and have seen my fair share. last week was going around a turn in almost whiteout conditions and had two darwins pass me two wide just missing a head on with a cattle hauler.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:58 PM

Sunday night was driving back from Red Deer with family. Very windy, and black ice. I was doing about 75kmh when a gust of wind pushed the rear end out, well, 4-90 Degree fishtails and then a 540 and we stopped in the shoulder facing oncoming traffic. Still don't know how we missed some of the cars, I know nobody wanted to hit their brakes in those conditions. All I was trying to do was stay out of the middle ditch and the next best thing would have been the other ditch, but due to some luck and aggressive steering stayed on the highway. My wife kept completely silent, my 6 year old daughter said, `Dad that wasn't very funny' This was by the RCMP dog training center near Bowden. With the adrenaline pumping and thinking how lucky we were, we decided not to push our luck and got a hotel room in Olds for the night.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Sunday night was driving back from Red Deer with family. Very windy, and black ice. I was doing about 75kmh when a gust of wind pushed the rear end out, well, 4-90 Degree fishtails and then a 540 and we stopped in the shoulder facing oncoming traffic. Still don't know how we missed some of the cars, I know nobody wanted to hit their brakes in those conditions. All I was trying to do was stay out of the middle ditch and the next best thing would have been the other ditch, but due to some luck and aggressive steering stayed on the highway. My wife kept completely silent, my 6 year old daughter said, `Dad that wasn't very funny' This was by the RCMP dog training center near Bowden. With the adrenaline pumping and thinking how lucky we were, we decided not to push our luck and got a hotel room in Olds for the night.
Better to be late in this life than early for the next life.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingiu View Post
1. Drive according to the road conditions

2. Drive within your vehicle's capabilities

3. Drive within your skill level and mental capacity

Most important one is #3

Problem solved
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBI View Post
Ok herein lyes a lot of the problems, there should be a # 4 to this and it should go something like this
4. If while following rules 1 - 3 , you must still be able to drive WITHOUT creating safety issues to other drivers . If you can't , STAY OFF THE DAM ROAD !
If everyone is following the first three rules there is no problems. Not everyone's abilities/tires/blah blah blah, are the same as mine. So I may have to go slow until I can get by.
Sounds to me like you should follow your own #4 rule.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:39 AM

The problem with rule 3 is far to many think their skill level is much greater than it is. This is usually self correcting with time and experiences of the negative kind when the lucky streak runs out.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
The problem with rule 3 is far to many think their skill level is much greater than it is. This is usually self correcting with time and experiences of the negative kind when the lucky streak runs out.
Can't argue that point.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:45 AM

I worked with a guy with the worlds best winter rally car and tires who was complaining about people not doing the posted speed limit in snow and ice. He was choked when everyone laughed at him after 2 ditches and a rear end crash in 1 week.
Guess he thought we would feel sorry for him.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Coming back from north battleford on hwy 16 was about par today, only 1 in the ditch but lots of tracks where superheros biffed into the weeds. About half way home I decided I had enough of ditships flying past then cutting me off and spraying my windshield with gravel, so I was nice when the speeding a-holes came flying up behind me, I signalled into the left lane well in advance of them needing to and let them stay in the right lane, as fast as they wanted to go without weaving back and forth. I enjoyed the road and all the entitled bastards seemed to like it too. I did 110kph by the way.

I have a question for the entitled bunch here that think they are above the law; do you teach your children to be entitled law breakers too, or do you recommend they actually abide by road signs and laws?

I told my kids as I was teaching them to drive that listening to idiots encouraging them to break the law only hurts them, because the idiots giving advice have nothing to lose. Ie; "if you aren't keeping up with the flow of traffic you are a bigger problem than the speeders"

Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 AM
Banned

From: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...rivingTips.pdf

"Motorists have a legal obligation to drive according to road conditions. You can be charged with a traffic offence by police if you are found not to be doing so."
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the conditions are so bad, that you can safely maintain only 30 or 40km/hr, on a highway, I agree, that unless it is an emergency, you should just stay off of the highway. If the conditions aren't that bad at all, and you are so inexperienced, or so terrified, that you are driving 40km/hr, when the rest of the traffic is flowing at 80km/hr, then once again, I agree, that you shouldn't be on the highway, in those conditions.
Exactly

I drive on average 1500kms for work every week and could not agree more with this statement.

I don't care if your a soccer mom in a minivan, a log truck driver, or your average Joe going to work.... if you have a lineup of vehicles behind you its probably a good indication that you are holding up traffic. Your opinion on what a safe speed for road conditions may not be what someone else's are, or maybe your vehicle is not equipped properly and is hindering the capability of your vehicle to "stick" to the road. Take the next safe opportunity to utilize a highway pullout or pull onto an adjoining road to let those people behind you pass. By all means travel at what you think is a safe speed for the conditions but do not hinder others by holding up traffic. Like EH11 said if you are not confident or too terrified to travel under specific conditions, stay home if at all possible.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I wonder how many of the "get out of my way" or "take the bus" posters drive lifted rams and bomb around showing everyone how cool they are. These are the guys that I silently wish end up in the ditch and have to sit there as everyone stares at their stupidity and laughs.

Don't get me wrong - I, too, get annoyed at the people who hold up traffic, but I certainly won't risk myself or others, weaving in and out of traffic with my metal mulisha sponsored $#!t box and loud pipes trying to show everyone what a man I am. lol.

Some of these posts are entertaining ...... drive according to the conditions and leave enough space so you don't need to slam on the brakes and test your winter tires.

It's really not that hard to figure out.
You are probably one of those granola eating smart car drivers with the peace sign in the back window ????

Don't go and stereotype all people with aftermarket lifts as you just have. Some of us use this lift to carry out our day to day work a little bit easier. Accessing wellsites that the grader has not cleaned out yet in the winter or getting through soft mud on leases without getting hung up are just a couple reasons why some people have lifts. Again its not the vehicle, its the driver, so don't paint us all with the same brush.