Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 PM

Default fly fishing jamaica

Hi folks just trying to find any info or experiences anyone has had fishing from shore in the runaway Bay area.....thx tight lines
Old 01-21-2018, 09:58 PM

I have flyfished on a dozen or so different Caribbean islands over the last 25 years,,,, and have been to Ocho Rios a couple times,,, Jamaica is the only Caribbean island to which I did not take fly rod along with me. My wife and I enjoy the Jamaican beaches and atmosphere and will go back again (sans fly rod). Jamaica is great island for a honeymoon,,, or to reconnect with your S/O,,, so let's just leave it at that!!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:24 AM
Banned

Might want to check out this before going to Jamaica

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/j...-rise-in-crime

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jama...ning-1.4494841
Old 01-23-2018, 07:30 AM

Travel Advisory in place

Exercise a high degree of caution
There are identifiable safety and security concerns or the safety and security situation could change with little notice. You should exercise a high degree of caution at all times, monitor local media and follow the instructions of local authorities.

Exercise a high degree of caution in Jamaica due to the high level of violent crime and the state of emergency in St James Parish.

Resorts may be compromised as noted in news reports. My comment from reading the articles.

US warnings

Jamaica Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory

January 10, 2018

Jamaica – Level 2: Exercise increased caution

Crime: Widespread violent or organized crime is present in areas of the country. Local law enforcement may have limited ability to respond to serious crimes. C

Exercise increased caution in Jamaica due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:
•Some areas of Kingston due to crime.
•Some areas of Montego Bay due to crime.
•Spanish Town due to crime.

Violent crime, such as home invasions, armed robberies, and homicide, is common. Sexual assaults occur frequently, even at all-inclusive resorts. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from driving outside of Kingston at night.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Jamaica:
•Avoid walking or driving at night.
•Avoid public buses.
•Avoid secluded places or situations, even in resorts.
•Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
•Be aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
•Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
•Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
•Review the Crime and Safety Report for Jamaica.
•U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

Kingston

Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Kingston. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to the following areas: downtown Kingston, which is defined as the areas between Mountain View Avenue and Hagley Park Road, and south of Half Way Tree and Old Hope Roads, and includes Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, and Arnett Gardens; Standpipe, Grants Pen, and Cassava Piece.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Montego Bay

Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Montego Bay. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to the following areas: Flankers, Canterbury, Norwood, Rose Heights, Clavers Street, and Hart Street.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Spanish Town

Violence and shootings occur regularly. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to Spanish Town.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-23-2018, 04:53 PM

Thx guys....hopefully it all melows out by next year....thats when I'm headed down there