Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 11:07 AM

Default Anyone been out to cut birch firewood west of Edmonton recently. Looking for advice.

Just wondering if anyone has been out to a decent birch lot recently and if you wouldn't mind saying where a guy could full a trailer.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:14 PM

You’d have more luck asking where all the elk are...
Old 01-20-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post

lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Some day there won't be any birch left what with everybody burning it to extinction. There's lots of other wood that burns
Old 01-20-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Some day there won't be any birch left what with everybody burning it to extinction. There's lots of other wood that burns
From what I recall on my woodcutting permit, it's supposed to be standing dead anyways. That being said I'm sure people will cut whatever they find convenient to cut. They might not realize how much more work it is to cut the live trees, the live trees are so much heavier with water that you can't fit as much in your vehicle or trailer. A person is working more that they have to if they're cutting live trees for firewood.

Then there is my coloring technique that I've posted here before, connect with a local arborist and get all manner of firewood with way less driving involved.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Dead birch is usually rotten and almost no heating value. However green birch is around 50% moisture, yes very heavy and lots of hard work. You need to dry at least one summer. Most approved wood lots have all the close trees already cut. Have fun! Some very good large birch trees usually left to blow down in middle of cut-blocks, but Forestry does not like week end warriors falling these large diameter trees, could cause serious hurt.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Oh the elk are in the meadow next to the trees on the rock outcropping... Why didn't you just ask where they were....
Old 01-21-2018, 07:28 PM

Just need to drive around.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:32 PM

The thought of hauling green birch logs makes me remember why I am fine with poplar. After Heating with poplar for many years and experimenting with different local wood IE spruce, birch, maple, willow I do not understand why poplar is such a terrible wood to burn.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
From what I recall on my woodcutting permit, it's supposed to be standing dead anyways. That being said I'm sure people will cut whatever they find convenient to cut. They might not realize how much more work it is to cut the live trees, the live trees are so much heavier with water that you can't fit as much in your vehicle or trailer. A person is working more that they have to if they're cutting live trees for firewood.

Then there is my coloring technique that I've posted here before, connect with a local arborist and get all manner of firewood with way less driving involved.

Not to derail the post, but where do you purchase a woodcutting permit and how much?

Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guide5689 View Post
Not to derail the post, but where do you purchase a woodcutting permit and how much?

Looks like my memory was off, these FAQ's note that one can cut live or dead. I just found that having wood that was already seasoned and lighter to handle was a bonus.

https://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/fo...page?cat1=Tree Cutting&cat2=Tree Cutting Permit FAQs