Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Question question for you RV guys that run solar panels

So in the Crappy tire flyer there are two Coleman solar panels. One is a 100 watt, the other is a 150 watt model, and both are basically half price.

Now in my fifth wheel, I run 2-6 volts in series. So would the 100 watt be enough to trickle charge or is this a waste of money.

I understand it would prolly would be only 80 watts realistically in AB.

What else would one need to run this?? An invertor of sorts?? Looks like it doesn't come with one.

I have a stack of gift cards to use, and curious if this would even be worth it??

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:13 PM

Watts divided by volts= amps
150 watts would be 12.5 charging amps in perfect conditions, clouds angle of the sun trees etc. play a part. I would count on half that during daylight hours so say 6 amps.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Trickle chargers are .9 to 1.5 amp, so 6 - 12 amps should do the job.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Default Charge Up, not source of power

Trouble with solar panels is that they do not have an INVERTER. when you plug in the trailer to 110 AC, at 15 or 30 Amps, that voltage goes to your AC / DC Inverter to charge batteries, and run 12 V DC lights.

You will not get 110 AC from 12 V DC. Yes the Amp output is pretty good on the large panels, but it is still 12 V DC.

My Baby Brother, Big Zeke, can do the conversion for you, but really, you need a field of solar panels feeding a DC / AC Inverter, to run a microwave.

If you are at a storage yard all week and hook up to go camping, your batteries are topped up as most of the big panels have a voltage regulator so you will not overcharge the batteries. but that's it.

Yes you will run longer on 12v DC on your batteries with the panels present, with no Generator or 110 V AC plug in, but that is little solace for the coffee maker.

And then in the dark, even if you had a big enough field of panels feeding a DC / AC inverter, it is still dark ....

Save your money and just buy a Champion Generator for the cost of two of these panels.

Drewski
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Trouble with solar panels is that they do not have an INVERTER. when you plug in the trailer to 110 AC, at 15 or 30 Amps, that voltage goes to your AC / DC Inverter to charge batteries, and run 12 V DC lights.

You will not get 110 AC from 12 V DC. Yes the Amp output is pretty good on the large panels, but it is still 12 V DC.

My Baby Brother, Big Zeke, can do the conversion for you, but really, you need a field of solar panels feeding a DC / AC Inverter, to run a microwave.

If you are at a storage yard all week and hook up to go camping, your batteries are topped up as most of the big panels have a voltage regulator so you will not overcharge the batteries. but that's it.

Yes you will run longer on 12v DC on your batteries with the panels present, with no Generator or 110 V AC plug in, but that is little solace for the coffee maker.

And then in the dark, even if you had a big enough field of panels feeding a DC / AC inverter, it is still dark ....

Save your money and just buy a Champion Generator for the cost of two of these panels.

Drewski
OK yep. I do have a 3500 watt gen, but just thought if it was a nice sunny day, I could throw up the panel, not to run anything other than keep the batteries charged up.
We seldom plug in, and run the gen to run things like the microwave, but rarely.
Coffee is made out on the stove. So at the end of the day, jus want to keep the batteries topped up and if this would be worth it.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Trickle chargers are .9 to 1.5 amp, so 6 - 12 amps should do the job.
x2 if just for keeping batteries topped up it would work fine
if you haven,t done so. switch your 12v lights to l.e.d,s
amazon is your friend on that.i hooked up an inverter
in my old trailer so we could charge up phones etc
while dry camping without needing a genny.
didn't keep a m/w in it so no worries there.lol

Orv.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM

I bought a controller from Amazon for doing that exact thing, just a top up for the batteries on the boat when I am docked or jigging for halibut for hours.
Much the same as this, gives you peace of mind that you arent going to burn up your batteries.
https://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Int...R8J4T44F0NGJ8B

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2018, 12:45 PM

Depends on what you are using. I've read that average consumption for lights, water pump, furnace fan is 30-40 amp hrs per day. In the same article it said if you take the watt rating of a solar panel divide it by 3 will give you average amp hr production per day.
So if not using anything more than the basics that 100 watt panel will give you say 30 amp hrs a day and you may only be using 30-40 per day. So if you have 200 amp hrs of battery life then you're golden for days.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM

12.5 amp on 230 ish amp hour battery bank may be a little more than trickle charge, especially when the batteries are nearing absorbtion or full charge. You may be ok in most circumstances, but its definately not a plug in and walk away solution. If you didn't have enough draw on the batteries while charging them with the panels, you could easily over charge and ruin them (e.g. when the trailer is stored).

My suggestion is to at the very least get a decent inexpensive charge contoller so that you don't boil your batteries. PWM (pulse width modulated) controllers are the cheapest and manufactures like Morningstar have good charge programs and adjustable settings (about $70 to $100). Cheaper charge controllers are available (EP) that will charge your battery properly, but are not programable ($30-40). MPPT charge controllers are better for mismatched panels, but since the panels you are looking at are the same voltage and are relatively close in wattage an MPPT isn't necessary. If you go over two panels, I would recommend getting the same wattage (i.e. all 100w, or 150w).

Couple of questions:
- are you going to permanently install the panels, or just hook them direct to your batteries?
- do you plan on expanding to a more permanent solar install in the future?

As far as whether its worth it, this would depend on how inexpensive the panels are. As a point of reference, you can buy good quality monocystaline aluminum framed glass solar panels for around $179 in Calgary and Edmonton.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Whiefish, thx for that.
These are a Crystalline 100 w that I am looking at. The otrher is the same but in a 150w.

Not installing, Not leaving on when in storage. Just a guy who wants to throw on the solar panel onto the batteries while out at the lake camping, or out quadding.

Just looking to use an afternoon of sunshine and trickle up the charge without havin to use the gen to do it. Nothin more.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:44 PM

100 or 150w panel would definitely help. Just connect a panel directly to your battery bank. Not much more to it.

I wouldn't leave it connected while in storage, but you could leave it connected while camping and not bother with a charge controller. The key here being that you're using some power while it's connected....which you almost always do. Either through the fridge, or water pump, or lights, or hot water tank, etc...

There's not a lot difference between the various crystalline panels. (Although, I think the monocrystalline are generally considered more efficient than polycrystalline.) Figure out the price of the panels and divide it by the number of watts. Buy the panel with the lowest number.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't bother with the hassle of portable panels. Between worrying about wires getting tripped on, specifically when in storage and you're not around, and whatnot. I'd spend the money to mount it on your roof.

I had two 250W panels hooked up (with controller) hooked to my two 6v, and it was awesome. Never had to worry about a dead battery or plugging in to charge the batteries at home again.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 PM

had 100w panel on my camper and led lights would camp out for a week using furnace and lights . batteries 2 6v would be back to full charge by 1pm.
definately use a charge controller or you will fry your batteries . the imp rate is 19.8 volts out of most 100w panels.
will be putting 2 100w panels on new trailer, wouldn't be without lots quieter
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 PM

We have 2 100 CT panels and generally only use one to keep the batteries up when we are out. You should check the accessories that come with the CT panels as ours came with a basic charge controller. We have no issues on keeping the batteries charged for summer trips (no furnace) and have noticeably cut back on the amount we run the generator. Still need the generator for the 3 / 5 days of consecutive overcast or raining and cool when we run the furnace.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:41 PM

I usually put 3 to 500 watts of panels on the roof and charge controllers and 4 to 8 batteries. Not always camping where there is power so panels are only to charge batteries.
Use generator for microwave. Always use controllers or you can damage batteries with overcharging. The controllers at CT are only $25. If you use more expensive panels from installers, then controllers are over $100. I've used both kinds and the CT ones work ok.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 PM

I have 120 watt portable panel c/w charger. Very seldom pullout the generator.
I like it portable because I can face it to the sun regardless how I park the trailer. I can park in the shade and still get sun on the panel. I have 450 amp/hours battery capacity so I can miss a day of sun if I have to.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 AM

They work great. I have the 100 watt model. I also bought the controller which was only 20 or 30 bucks. I have an older trailer and it was enough to keep lights up and run the furnace at night while we hunted for a week in late October. I don't even pack my generator now.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
OK yep. I do have a 3500 watt gen, but just thought if it was a nice sunny day, I could throw up the panel, not to run anything other than keep the batteries charged up.
We seldom plug in, and run the gen to run things like the microwave, but rarely.
Coffee is made out on the stove. So at the end of the day, jus want to keep the batteries topped up and if this would be worth it.
I have a 150 W solar panel. Had no intention of getting one, but a fellow camper talked me into it. One of the best things we have invested in. It came with a small regulator that indicates battery charging or full and a digital voltage readout. Kept it as a portable unit so it can be moved to follow the sun, which I have discovered is seldom if ever necessary. I got about 35' of cable which is usually coiled up and tucked away. Make sure to get # 8 AWG cable. May cost a bit more, but it will help to keep line loss to a minimum.

Only start the generator to run A.C. or micro wave, almost never. Run it once every 2 weeks for 5 to 10 minutes just to keep the oil circulated. Solar is dead quiet!! Very peaceful!
Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
We have 2 100 CT panels and generally only use one to keep the batteries up when we are out. You should check the accessories that come with the CT panels as ours came with a basic charge controller. We have no issues on keeping the batteries charged for summer trips (no furnace) and have noticeably cut back on the amount we run the generator. Still need the generator for the 3 / 5 days of consecutive overcast or raining and cool when we run the furnace.
This.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Gotter done today.