Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

Default You people ought to appreciate what you have rather than whine about it.

As of late, I've read a few posts here of folks complaining about the wildlife that comes into their yard or seemingly invade their property. Those might be the likes of cougars, or bears.

Let me tell you something folks. Your are extremely lucky and fortunate to live in a country where wildlife is abundant and strives.

Back in 1999, I took a trip with my brother through the Alps. Surely, you've seen nice photographs of these mountains. Let me tell you that it is absolutely "fake news". We rode our horses (which by my comparison are F'n nags) from the French side of the Alps into Italy. Not once did we see any sort of game. I did see dishwashers and other abonded appliances and garbage. Of course, National Geographic wont' show you that crap.

Truly, folks you ought to be more appreciative of the beauty and wildlife in your own country. Take a trip though the backwoods of Europe, and you'll understand what I mean.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 PM

I nominate this for best post on AO ever.
Thanks for the perspective.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 PM
Banned

Old 01-16-2018, 09:34 PM

You should appreciate the horses you had

And I agree, this is God’s Country!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 PM

a wise man once said " you dont know what you've got til its gone "
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Banned

I find many AO followers guilty of not appreciating how lucky they are in many different respects.
They complain about politics in a way that would get you jailed (or worse in many countries), about the medical system where many in the world die of diseases we haven't had to worry about in 100 years and on and on.
The best education many here could have would be to spend a year traveling the world...and not on a cruise ship or at a resort.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 PM

I've read that the forests of Europe were "domesticated" by the 17th century. The animals in european forests got used to the people, became complacent and became easy targets.

I love the fact that in Alberta if a person goes outside of the urban areas only a 30 minute drive there are 'wild' places. There are places that are as they were since settlement came west.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-16-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Well said.
We need to appreciate the freedom we have to be able to throw a gun on our shoulder and go for a walk almost anywhere and be able to hunt some form of game almost anytime.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I find many AO followers guilty of not appreciating how lucky they are in many different respects.
They complain about politics in a way that would get you jailed (or worse in many countries), about the medical system where many in the world die of diseases we haven't had to worry about in 100 years and on and on.
The best education many here could have would be to spend a year traveling the world...and not on a cruise ship or at a resort.
Perspective is a wonderful thing.

It gets you out of the 'never left my village and still living in a 1950's fantasy"

It also helps with understanding people "not like you" aka "them"
Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
As of late, I've read a few posts here of folks complaining about the wildlife that comes into their yard or seemingly invade their property. Those might be the likes of cougars, or bears.

Let me tell you something folks. Your are extremely lucky and fortunate to live in a country where wildlife is abundant and strives.

Back in 1999, I took a trip with my brother through the Alps. Surely, you've seen nice photographs of these mountains. Let me tell you that it is absolutely "fake news". We rode our horses (which by my comparison are F'n nags) from the French side of the Alps into Italy. Not once did we see any sort of game. I did see dishwashers and other abonded appliances and garbage. Of course, National Geographic wont' show you that crap.

Truly, folks you ought to be more appreciative of the beauty and wildlife in your own country. Take a trip though the backwoods of Europe, and you'll understand what I mean.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 PM
Banned

Complaining about having to much is a “First world” problem.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I get how lucky we are, I really do, but I think alot of the frustration/discussion stems because many folks see how much better it could be with a little bit of common sense, efficiency, and planning.

Regarding the OP, I've yet to see a cougar, and won't complain when I do.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 AM

Half a lifetime of playing in the mountains and it also confuses me to read all the posts around here that make spending time in the woods like going into combat. You need to keep your head up around wildlife and things can go South, but any bear that has crossed my path has been a blessing.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 AM

We do appreciate the Bio-diversity of this Province. That is why this forum exists. Don’t need a larger population in this province. With the larger population, comes different agenda from the people. This is the Cowboy Province (unique). Hope it remains the Cowboy Province, common sense rules.
PB43
Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
We do appreciate the Bio-diversity of this Province. That is why this forum exists. Don’t need a larger population in this province. With the larger population, comes different agenda from the people. This is the Cowboy Province (unique). Hope it remains the Cowboy Province, common sense rules.
PB43
I'm thinking it has turned a bit away from being a cowboy province...just from who was elected in alberta. I hope common sense comes back
Old 01-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Banned

I love where I live, on my way uptown to the store I saw 15 wild turkeys and 5 whitetail bedded down under the same tree. Right in town. I have mulies in my yard everyday. I get my 2 deer every year within 10 miles of the house. Elk too. Love this place.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:15 PM

Gitrdun - Great post.

I was born here but grew up in France and have travelled extensively. It would be impossible to find a better place to live than Canada. That is why I live here. That said, we must be REALLY vigilant to ensure the azzhats in government don't turn us into just another of those countries like Spain, Italy, France or England, and those are among the better choices, compared to South Africa, Turkey, and the Philippines.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:14 PM

...but the salmon fishing kind of sucks...just saying..
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Lol! It wouldn’t be like AO without a little bit of negativity...

We’re lucky that’s for sure. You could hunt a different part of the province each year and never see it all. The diversity is what I like...and no ferries...
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM

Default We are indeed fortunate to be able to enjoy nature from our back doors or a short drive.

I've worked with people from other countries for them the whole concept of camping or going into the wilderness is insane, why would you do that they ask.
I took a couple guys from Nigeria fishing one day, they were hooked (pun intended) both now own their boats and one has bought a camper. I was told in their country if they tried to leave the city either the animals or the rebels would kill them.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Gitrdun - Great post.

I was born here but grew up in France and have travelled extensively. It would be impossible to find a better place to live than Canada. That is why I live here. That said, we must be REALLY vigilant to ensure the azzhats in government don't turn us into just another of those countries like Spain, Italy, France or England, and those are among the better choices, compared to South Africa, Turkey, and the Philippines.

Agreed. The more places that I travel to, the more fortunate I feel to reside in Canada. I do enjoy going to other places and experiencing different culture/geography/demography, but wouldn't change places with any of them. That's probably why so many people want to immigrate to Canada, regardless of climate. Many immigrants that I have met tell me "Sure it gets cold here in the winter, but you can always dress/prepare for colder weather. You can't dress/prepare for war, corruption, overcrowding and poverty." (not exactly in those words, but that is the point that they are trying to make)

Sure other places are warmer in the winter and cheaper to live in, but very few other places offer the opportunity to go a short distance from your house and see virtually no other people and an abundance of wildlife. I do enjoy traveling when I can, but I am always happy to come back home. (Although stepping off of the plane a few times when -30 makes me question that logic)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up Wild Things

I cannot. So much so, the wife and I now live in the forest ... where the wild things live.

Selkirk
Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM

Some places may be nice to visit. There are a heck of a lot of places like that, which are a great place to be from. And yet, I can find enough travel destinations in Canada that I don't see the need to rush out and see other places. Just look south of the border, to see a lot of what you can see in the rest of the world. Cities are cities, a lot are a lot uglier than what we have here in N. America, even with their history and different cultures. Tour the countryside? Great idea if they will let you, or if it is safe to do. Plenty of different people and cultures within Canada, and a lot more country to explore.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Great post pal.
Remember when the NIMBY losers from Canmore were bitching about animals in town? 'Kill them or relocate them and no more development here, we are already here.'

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Great post pal.
Remember when the NIMBY losers from Canmore were bitching about animals in town? 'Kill them or relocate them and no more development here, we are already here.'
They were getting cranky about the bunnies running rampant...poor lil bunnies
Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 PM
Banned

Apples to oranges.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:55 PM

This is a very nice country,infact I would not want to live anywhere else.I have worked in the bush in 3 different provinces and pipeline from .BC to NB in all kinda little towns along the way.You meet all kinda good folks and every day going to or from work you see wildlife ,good and bad dinners and the worst ones are better than the best in many countries.When I was by myself I never had a big trailer in the bush when working,but man did I sleep great.

25 years latter I bought this nice RV loaded to the nuts and couldn't sleep right in it,so what I am trying to say is be content with what you have and enjoy your life in this great country.Plus I didn't need all what I thought I needed,i had it all ,good wife money,great health,but still wanted to push the boat out harder and there was never enough,until I fell ill in 2008 and almost lost every thing.

I got back on my feet and did 5 years of straight pipeline then came home and some dick runs me over,but I still thank god every day for the great place I live.And I will go back out on the line come hell or high water,i just love it outside,this by far the best country to live in ,so enjoy it as much as you can.Excuse my poor grammar and going on so long,but this a great thread,good job gitrdon for starting this one,
Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Banned

I've been around the world and had various ports of call. There is no place like Alberta Canada that I'd rather be.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
a wise man once said " you dont know what you've got til its gone "
Joni Mitchell was a dude? On some level, I guess I knew...
Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 AM
Banned

I get what you are saying, Gitrdun, but i’m Thinking that you’re being a little unfair with describing The Alps as a dump. I don’t know where you were but I used to have a trailer in Grindelwald, Switzerland (near Interlocken) and it was pristine. Zermatt only has electric cars due to pollution potential, Innsbruck, Austria......impeccable as well as Luxembourg. You’ll never see a bunch of junk cars abandoned anywhere on people’s land like we have here. They think that is just ridiculous.

We are very fortunate to have the abundance of wildlife that we have. As far as I’m concerned if people don’t like to interact with it, they can move to a city where they don’t have to deal with it. I haven’t noticed the complaints but I think that most people that live in the country understand what is involved.