Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Looking at New Multi-Pin Slider Sights

Been doing some reading tonight and watching some you-tube videos.

Been to Bass Pro and Cabelas.

Will try to get to Jimbo's in the next week or two. Seems like Jimbos is the one shop that I know sells CBE sights. Looking at the 5 Pin Hybrid.

Cabelas carries the react Trio which also looks interesting.

I sometimes think paying up for the CBE is a waste from the aspect that I really never get a chance to practice at the longer ranges anymore. Any 5 pin sight is going to cover my effective field range, thus the ability to dial up to 80-100 yards is likely a wasted option on me at the moment.

Looking for input on these two sights.

The Trophy Ridge reaction 5 pin looks good as a straight fixed pin sight, if I decide the floating option isn't required.

Doodle
Old 01-16-2018, 07:31 AM
Banned

I have the React one my old bow. I just put one on my sons bow but we have it set for 5 yards between pins because of his draw length and pull combination.
This summer when I bought my new bow I wanted the CBE Tek Hybrid. I went in and talked the guys, they asked me my main purpose, which I said was hunting. I looked at the pins close up and I wasn’t impressed. They just seemed small and a little on the delicate side. I don’t know if they are, and I really doubt they are with how popular the CBE sights are. The showed me the Black Gold Ascent Verdict. I got the 3 pin version but you can get a 5 pin as well as pins separate. I am going to put in a 4th pin but that’s only because I want to try 3D and that gets me to 50 yards, if they let me shoot fixed and just tape the sight or something so I can’t move it with in the shoot.
Originally I choose the 3 pin slider for less clutter in the housing. If I want to shoot longer than 40 yards I should have the time to adjust it. I had the opportunity to shoot out to 100 yards this summer. It was nice to just dial in your distance and shoot. I’m even thinking about a “long distance” tape that will go out to maybe 120 yards. Practice far so the short shots seem easy.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:47 AM

Pure and MBG make nice slider sights, Jim bows will have them, The MBG is fairly reasonable (ascent Verdict). I have it and have been happy with it. Good warranty from what i have heard as well.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 AM

Default Sights

When I was looking into getting my sight I did some research on both those sights as well. The CBE was really nice and the pins seemed to be quite bright which was good. I also looked at the React but the issue I had was with the self setting pins. While I trust the technology likely has the calculation accurate, I like having the ability to fine tune one pin if need be. I didn't see that option with the React when I looked at it, so chose not to go with that version.

At the end of the day I went with Montana Black Gold Ascent Verdict. The Pins were super bright and the warranty is hard to beat. I have been quite happy with my purchase after shooting it for about a year now.

Another good name you may want to look at if you are considering the CBE is the Spott Hogg, they make some really good sights that are practically bullet proof. They are on the heavier side but not anything that would cause a person to choose against them. The Spott Hogg and MBG were the two finalists in my decision.

Morb
Old 01-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Banned

This is my view on adjustable sights,

Spot Hogg
HHA
Axcel

Then there is

CBE
Montana Black Gold
Then the rest.

Spot Hogg, HHA. and Axcel are at the top of the list imo, all quality sights with good customer service. Axcel makes a quality lightweight adjustable sight, HHA has one of the brightest pins on the market (along with MBG), and Spot Hogg makes the most durable sights on the market, in my opinion the best all round bang for your buck.

I own, or have owned all the sights I've listed above and the one sight I will never go without is Spot Hogg. HHA is a close second but the fact that every one I've owned has had the screws rust which isn't the end of the world but it sure is annoying. Axcel makes a very nice sight with excellent micro adjustments but I can't get over the pins, they aren't as durable as the Spot Hogg or the HHA. I've never had a broken pin with any of my Axcel sights but for a hunting bow I trust the Spot Hogg and HHA's.

"Buy once, cry once" this statement couldn't be more true when talking about bow sights. Many of my bows have come and gone, but my Spot Hogg Hunter 7-pin sight will always be on one of my hunting bows. This year I'm trying out a few different sliders, an Axcel Accutouch HD, an HHA King Pin, and a Spot Hogg Hogg Father with the double pin and double pointer. I'm not sure if any of them will make it on my hunting bow but I plan on keeping at least one of them for my target and 3D bow. My last attempt at a single pin slider didn't work out so well...... lol.

With that being said, I'm already regretting selling my Tommy Hogg, and if I was looking to have a hunting only slider it would be a Tommy Hogg, or possibly the HHA King Pin.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 AM

The Spot Hogg fast Eddy has a dual pointer, did they just release a dual pointer for the Hogg Father at his years ATA show? I have heard rumours but I haven't seen it yet.

LC
Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The Spot Hogg fast Eddy has a dual pointer, did they just release a dual pointer for the Hogg Father at his years ATA show? I have heard rumours but I haven't seen it yet.

LC
I ordered my pointer yesterday, they make them to fit on the pre-double pin Hogg Fathers now. And yes, they now offer them with the new Hogg Fathers.

I ordered the double pointer, new sight tapes, a new bull knob, and an adapter to mount my 7-pin housing (if I ever want to make it into a multi pin slider) and it was like $44 for everything. I imagine the double pointer is only $10-$15.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the info.

LC
Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 PM

I currently have a Spot Hogg Hunter Sight on my CRX 32 and love it. Prior to that I had a sight that I actually really liked as well (and sold on my previous bow that I used for 3D), a Sword Apex. I rarely see Sword sights mentioned anywhere, but imo they are just as well made and heavy duty as the Spot Hogg. I don't know if anyone carries them, but they are worth a look, especially for the price point. My Apex cost half what the Spot Hogg did. I don't run in to many people who are familiar with them, not even sure who carries their stuff. A link to their products.

https://www.swordsight.com/products.html

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone