Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6152.JPG (25.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I hate reading incidences like this; as a recent victim, it hit a nerve.

The innocent owner continues to spend taxed upon, hard earned money to upgrade security and increased insurance premiums..... IT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

The laws and penalties are in place but no where to house the convicted.

Judges need to be elected......and more jails built.

Personally I would donate and extra $2,000 if I knew it was going towards building a new jail(s). Rather than my unwillingness to support the wasteful taxing from Mr.Turdo and Queen Nutley...... IMHO....

Time for a Snickers.....

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
A camera is a passive defence and is useless as a defence unless you plan on monitoring it 24/7. A big dog that’s going to deter thieves and alert you would be my choice. I know of one 180 lb dog that the thieves wouldn’t chance getting out of the truck to pet......lol. Not vicious but VERY intimidating.
When there is motion or noise it alerts you. You don't have to watch.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 PM

Dogs don’t stop them. We have 2 neighbors who came home to find their dogs shot and possessions stolen. One neighbor had set the dogs on to some guys stealing gas. Dogs didn’t hurt anyone just chased them off. Couple of days later when they returned home their dogs had been shot and laid out in the driveway.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Dogs don’t stop them. We have 2 neighbors who came home to find their dogs shot and possessions stolen. One neighbor had set the dogs on to some guys stealing gas. Dogs didn’t hurt anyone just chased them off. Couple of days later when they returned home their dogs had been shot and laid out in the driveway.

But apparently shining some lights at them will do the trick
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
But apparently shining some lights at them will do the trick
Yes and the light would be a bright flash from a barrel causing self inflicted deadly wounds????
Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 PM
Banned

Are we moving away from theft and moving into armed robberies now?

Bang, bang.....out go the lights.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are we moving away from theft and moving into armed robberies now?

Bang, bang.....out go the lights.
When reading news stories where the RCMP have caught rural thieves, they are now more often than not, finding loaded firearms along with drugs in the stolen vehicle. It seems to be the trend now.

We installed a gate last year along with 5 of our other neighbors. We also installed a yard light.

What some folks are doing that have gravity fuel tanks, is putting gas in the tank marked diesel and diesel in the tank marked gas. Locking the fuel tanks doesn't make a difference, as the thieves always cut the locks but, see how many miles they go on the wrong fuel.

I remember several years ago, a friend ran out of gas and only had a barrel of diesel with a hand pump for refueling his tractor in the field in the back of the pick-up. It got him to a service station but, he said it was sure sluggish. Not sure how gas in a diesel would work.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:54 AM

People always say my stuff isn't worth someone's life......i work hard for everything I have( which isn't much) life is expensive and living on a single income with kids doesn't leave tons of extra money just laying around. Our government, both federal and provincial have made things even tighter on the budget with all the changes in taxes. I'm supposed to just suck it up and shell out more money for"security" and "deterrents" just to hold onto things that I have already spent my hard saved penny's for, on top of that if and when MY stuff does get stolen i get to cough out for deductibles and higher premiums just to replace the stuff I ALREADY saved for once. I agree my stuff isn't worth a life but, if you value your life keep your hands off my stuff. otherwise you better hope I don't catch you.
ALL of these guys have made a conscious choice at some point that puts them in this position wether they are pro criminals or just meth heads trying to score.
Our justice system clearly doesn't work to protect honest folks and blaming the cops is not fair ( the ones i know personally are as upset with the way it works as i am) in our area our rural neighbours have banded together to keep watch over each others places. we have caught more than a few scum bags and so far the courts have released all of them.
I sure wish we had castle law here....and for those who say stuff is not worth a life.....if you value your life soooo much keep your grubby mitts OFF MY STUFF. that's your choice...otherwise it's not I that puts a value on your life but you.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Build more jails

Car thief....hang'em
Tresspasser....shoot'em
Caught speeding....lose your ride...pick up garbage for six months every weekend etc

Don't feed and house these animals just so they can fatten up on your dime just to get back out and right back at it....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Build more jails

Car thief....hang'em
Tresspasser....shoot'em
Caught speeding....lose your ride...pick up garbage for six months every weekend etc

Don't feed and house these animals just so they can fatten up on your dime just to get back out and right back at it....
X2, enough money is wasted!! Society has become so intelligent we have no common sense to deal with these losers.

Just leave your keys in your truck, sled, quad, side by side, and when the thief is don't with it it will be returned back to you the same way it left. Same as your house, don't lock it, just leave it open so the thief can bring your tv back to you after he's done watching it lol. Or so I've been told this is a good idea!!!
Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
People always say my stuff isn't worth someone's life......i work hard for everything I have( which isn't much) life is expensive and living on a single income with kids doesn't leave tons of extra money just laying around. Our government, both federal and provincial have made things even tighter on the budget with all the changes in taxes. I'm supposed to just suck it up and shell out more money for"security" and "deterrents" just to hold onto things that I have already spent my hard saved penny's for, on top of that if and when MY stuff does get stolen i get to cough out for deductibles and higher premiums just to replace the stuff I ALREADY saved for once. I agree my stuff isn't worth a life but, if you value your life keep your hands off my stuff. otherwise you better hope I don't catch you.
ALL of these guys have made a conscious choice at some point that puts them in this position wether they are pro criminals or just meth heads trying to score.
Our justice system clearly doesn't work to protect honest folks and blaming the cops is not fair ( the ones i know personally are as upset with the way it works as i am) in our area our rural neighbours have banded together to keep watch over each others places. we have caught more than a few scum bags and so far the courts have released all of them.
I sure wish we had castle law here....and for those who say stuff is not worth a life.....if you value your life soooo much keep your grubby mitts OFF MY STUFF. that's your choice...otherwise it's not I that puts a value on your life but you.
Perfect post.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When there is motion or noise it alerts you. You don't have to watch.
some of the systems at work call out when motion is detected . 50km from the detachment and response time is somewhere between 3 hours and never . i dont have the answer but like i said earlier , i haven't seen a lot of upside with cameras or live video streams . dogs can scare away potential " grab and run" thieves but i also know of one that was shot to quiet him down . if your guard dog is also a family pet you now have that to deal with .
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
Lol really?, why not put public statements out to criminals. If you get killed or wounded trying to steal it's your own fault. So maybe don't steal...
LOL I knew a guy in Saskatchewan that posted a sign on his gate stating something to the effect of:

"Criminal, Consider this your one and only warning. If you enter this property for the purpose of committing a criminal act of any kind, you knowingly acknowledge and accept any consequences thereof, up to and including loss of life."
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed 100%!!!! I woke up one hot summer night to the sound of someone trying to remove the outboard from my boat. I don’t know which sent him into flight faster, the sound of me loading my model 12 as I stepped out the side door into the driveway or the sight of the 300 pound naked guy holding the gun but my motor stayed where it was as he scrambled over the fence in full flight peeling through my neighbours yard.

Last edited by The Spank; 01-14-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Banned

so much tough talk of shooting thieves but it never ever HAPPENS.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post
It happened in Biggar, Sask in 2016
Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I and my wife have both physically run scum bags off our acreage with firearms. havent yet had the need to shoot but if the need would arise I would not hesitate. It has nothing to do with being tough, just protecting my family. I wish castle law was legal in Canada because just the possibility of getting shot might deter a few.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Question

If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging. Bat, stick, butt end of something that makes sharp noises but I am not going to watch them drive away with my hard earned belongings. As someone said before, why would I pay $1000 deductible to rebuy something I bought once?
I have a very easy to steal 2003 F250 7.3 sitting outside. Very easy in summer, not so much now in the cold not plugged in and no batteries. I might even run some new positive battery cables to a hidden ground somewhere, or to a very loud siren.
I need to find out some way to make the ones in the garage unable to move but easy for me if I need to respond to a call. Bars on the windows and disabling the manual door release is another good idea. Putting the forklift in front of another diesel outside keeps it in place.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
It happens all the in the US where it's legal to defend your possessions with force.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 PM

Man in home managed to take a gun from the intruders, shot said intruder and then gets charged...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...n-home-charged

Another man shoots the home invader, and kills him... Surprise, he gets charged, too...

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...g-home-invader

And then the fella in Alberta...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...jail-1.1291394

Yes, he appealed his sentence and was successful.

***I didn't background check the end sentencing/pleas with these articles; I just wanted to show that you'll generally be charged initially***

But ask yourself. Even if you're found Not Guilty, you'll be spending thousands of dollars on a lawyer to take care of the issue for you, not to mention the personal battles, and change in your life, as well as any psychological damage you may have from shooting/killing another man.

You gotta do what you gotta do, and I'll be painted as one of the spineless people that will roll over, but I digress...

I'm not about to shoot a guy that is in my barn, for the sake of being in my barn... Because for all I know from 100 yards away, he could be my neighbour or some drunk kid that is beyond stupefied from intoxication, and wandered in there by accident. Too many variables, for me to shoot first and ask questions later... And I'd rather my kids have to grow up without a quad than without a dad.

Just my two cents, now flame away.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Man in home managed to take a gun from the intruders, shot said intruder and then gets charged...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...n-home-charged

Another man shoots the home invader, and kills him... Surprise, he gets charged, too...

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...g-home-invader

And then the fella in Alberta...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...jail-1.1291394

Yes, he appealed his sentence and was successful.

***I didn't background check the end sentencing/pleas with these articles; I just wanted to show that you'll generally be charged initially***

But ask yourself. Even if you're found Not Guilty, you'll be spending thousands of dollars on a lawyer to take care of the issue for you, not to mention the personal battles, and change in your life, as well as any psychological damage you may have from shooting/killing another man.

You gotta do what you gotta do, and I'll be painted as one of the spineless people that will roll over, but I digress...

I'm not about to shoot a guy that is in my barn, for the sake of being in my barn... Because for all I know from 100 yards away, he could be my neighbour or some drunk kid that is beyond stupefied from intoxication, and wandered in there by accident. Too many variables, for me to shoot first and ask questions later... And I'd rather my kids have to grow up without a quad than without a dad.

Just my two cents, now flame away.

Totally agree it's not lawful in Canada.....thats why it's not done often.i for one would be for it being lawful in Canada. I have no issue with you choosing not too but if someone come into my yard and shoots my dog just so he can steal my hard earned possessions. In my mind that guy has made his bed. It's not just the theft but the danger of what theses guys are willing to do to my family.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It happens all the in the US where it's legal to defend your possessions with force.
its legal in canada also , as long as you dont use more force than the attacker is using against you . and in MOST of the states the same rules apply . even in florida , where it is legal to use lethal force if you fell threatened , the people involved in the shooting face a long , expensive road justifying their actions after killing an attacker . there have been quite a few high profile cases in recent years .
Old 01-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Happened SE of Bonnyville in dec 2016....landowner shot at armed thieves and was NOT charged.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Banned

Here is an idea : Take away their drivers licence for a year .
Old 01-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Totally agree it's not lawful in Canada.....thats why it's not done often.i for one would be for it being lawful in Canada. I have no issue with you choosing not too but if someone come into my yard and shoots my dog just so he can steal my hard earned possessions. In my mind that guy has made his bed. It's not just the theft but the danger of what theses guys are willing to do to my family.
Definitely agree with you on that one.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Banned

or perhaps five years , and deny them a firearms licence , and have them unable to possess alcohol!
Old 01-14-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Here is an idea : Take away their drivers licence for a year .
Why don't we just make it illegal to steal stuff.......oh yah criminals don't care about rules or what they can do or not do legally. If they are willing to steal my truck I doubt having/ not having a licence is going to stop them
Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging. Bat, stick, butt end of something that makes sharp noises but I am not going to watch them drive away with my hard earned belongings. As someone said before, why would I pay $1000 deductible to rebuy something I bought once?
I have a very easy to steal 2003 F250 7.3 sitting outside. Very easy in summer, not so much now in the cold not plugged in and no batteries. I might even run some new positive battery cables to a hidden ground somewhere, or to a very loud siren.
I need to find out some way to make the ones in the garage unable to move but easy for me if I need to respond to a call. Bars on the windows and disabling the manual door release is another good idea. Putting the forklift in front of another diesel outside keeps it in place.

Have you considered that insurance is cheaper than being a dead tough guy?

Whole lot of talk in these threads.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Have you considered that insurance is cheaper than being a dead tough guy?

Whole lot of talk in these threads.

You conveniently and intentionally glazed over the part about calling the RCMP and members in the watch.

Let me get that for you

If the cameras alert me to someone in my garage and I am not horribly outnumbered after I call the RCMP and the guys in the community watch I am going in swinging

Have you considered that if they are brazen enough to go into the garage they are stupid enough to go into the house? Insurance does not replace you, your spouse and offspring. Cameras may give me the upper hand if I know about them without them knowing about me.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 01-14-2018 at 02:48 PM.