Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Carbon Icon users reviews, thoughts?

Guys, I'm thinking of getting a Bowtech Carbon Icon bow this year.

I haven't really focused much on bowhunting in the last 10 years and have an entry level bow(PSE Rally)I picked up a few years back to see if I wanted to get back into it. This year I'll be putting a good effort into bowhunting. Elk for sure and probably mountain muleys too.

My budget is $1000. So after looking at the local bow shops, it looks like the bow packages are the best way to stay within budget.

I'm leaning toward the Carbon Icon and just wonder if anyone on here has experience with it or another bow package that's within my price range.

Cheers.
John
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com
Old 01-11-2018, 09:14 AM

I bought one as a package last fall for my first bow.

As a entry level bow I think it is great I shot it a lot over the winter 2-3 days a week. Hunted with it this fall was able to take 3 animals with it. I primarily shot it on the performance setting (because that is what it came set to) and I was shooting 70lbs with a 30in draw.

The difference between Performance and Comfort settings are significant feels like two different bows. If I was to do it over again I would go with the comfort setting as the performance setting is not very forgiving. I up graded everything on the bow starting with the rest a drop away rest is much nicer. the 4 pin sight would of been fine for general use and hunting but I wanted to play at longer distances so I put a 4 pin slider on it.

At that price point I don't know of any other carbon options.

All that being said I upgraded this fall to a High end bow from another company. Why because I shoot a lot and like to practice at long distance 80+m. The Carbon Icon was great but once I started learn a lot more about archery I realized that the bow didn't quite fit me right and that would limit me with the level of shooting I wanted to get to. Casual shooting and primarily hunting I think its a good option.

As everyone says have to get out and shoot one to see how you like it make sure you try both the comfort and performance settings.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Carbon Icon is a great bow one of Bowtech's best sellers. If I was to get one I would consider a 60lbs bow over a 70lbs bow. The riser is more stable at less than max poundage. If the grip feels good and fits your hand it's tough to beat at that price point.

LC
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM

I have limited experience with it, only shot it a couple of times at the range but found the grip blocky and bow was quite loud. Didn't like the plastic riser or how you need a bow press to change the flip disks. If your on a tight budget I would look for a used flagship.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:40 PM

ive had a carbon icon for 3 years now. Its my first bow and I really enjoy it. I can see myself using it for a long time, dont think ill ever get rid of it even if i end up with a different bow as some point.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:25 PM

Hello Highlander Hunting

I purchased the Carbon Icon back in November. Since then i have been shooting it 3 times a week. Joined a indoor target league and have been counting my shoots. To date over the last 2.5 months i have put over 2000 arrows down this bow. I am very happy with the carbon icon, this bow can out shoot my skill level any day. When shooting at the indoor archery lanes i see on any given day 3-5 other carbon icons people have bought. Everyone i talk to is very happy with the bow. For hunting, 3D shoots and target shooting for fun you will not be disappointed in a purchase of this bow. If i can suggest one opinion i would not go with the RAK option, purchase a bare bow, and buy your arrow rest, sight and stabilizers separate. The arrow rest and sight that comes with the bow is basic and as you start shooting more you will want to upgrade to a higher quality sight and rest. If your located in Calgary go to Jim Bows they are very knowledgeable and by far the most helpful staff around, on top of that the service is outstanding and will take the time to answer your 100 questions you might have as i did when i first bought this bow back in November.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:12 PM

I enjoy my carbon icon, bought it from Jimbows in Edmonton. It is my first bow and seemed to feel like it “fit” out of all the ones I tried. Lots of room to upgrade sight, rest, etc. I had a shoulder blow out so was unable to shoot it for the past six months or so but getting ready to pick it back up. Highly recommend!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM

Update, after reading your reviews and reading and talking to others, I decided to go with something different.
I went with the Bowtech Reign 6. 33" ATA. I bought it bare and just used my sight and rest from my other bow. Went with a 70 lbs but have it dialed back to 60 for the off season.

Took it to the 40 yard range last night and I'm really impressed with the bow.
Smooth, good back wall, and quiet.

Thanks for every one's 2 cents.

John
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM

Solid choice, I have a Reign 7 and it's going to be my goto hunting bow for a while.

LC
Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

When I picked up my new bow it was between the Reign 6, 7 or the Hoyt Pro Defiant. They all felt really good and I don’t think I would have made a bad choice either way.
Congrats on your new bow. What did you have on your old bow that you pulled over?