Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 PM

Default Browning X-bolt replacement trigger spring

https://youtu.be/NtLwXUooUmY

https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bo...pring-kit.aspx

For all of you who shoot a Browning X-bolt but do not like the heavy trigger pull they have there is now a replacement trigger spring available from M*CARBO out of Florida.

From the look of the video you mangle the original trigger spring getting it out but the new one is a drop-in. They say it will take an X-bolt from 4 1/2 pounds down to 2 1/2 pounds. I’ve adjusted the triggers in every X-bolt I have and so far the lightest I’ve gotten down to is just under 4 pounds (3 pounds 13 ounces).

Ernie the gunsmith out of the US was selling replacement springs a few years ago but quit because the trigger had to be taken apart for the replacement and too many people were screwing the assemblies up trying to get them back together. The M*CARBO spring is slightly smaller in diameter so the trigger doesn’t have to be taken apart.

Not sure on the logistics of getting gun parts out of the US but it is just a spring. I’m sure someone on here would have an idea on that.

I’ve sent an email to them and I’ll update when I hear from them.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 PM

Good luck getting a gun part out of the States.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-09-2018, 05:16 PM

My nephew ordered some springs from MCarbo out of Florida. He received them fairly quick with no issues.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Some parts require permits others do not.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:34 PM

I took the spring out of my Xbolt and clipped a couple mm off of it.got it down to 2 lbs on my fish scale.it was a bit of a fiddle getting the spring out but well worth it !
Old 01-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

My, aren’t we in a glass half empty kind of mood...lol.

Could be an issue but the A-bolt II Timney spring I ordered last year out of the US also showed up quick with no issues.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
My, aren’t we in a glass half empty kind of mood...lol.

Could be an issue but the A-bolt II Timney spring I ordered last year out of the US also showed up quick with no issues.
Hey if you can find someone in the States willing to risk it, I guess good on you? Their risk not yours.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-09-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
I took the spring out of my Xbolt and clipped a couple mm off of it.got it down to 2 lbs on my fish scale.it was a bit of a fiddle getting the spring out but well worth it !
I had a guy do two like you said,clipped a bit off and down to 2 .25 pounds and the guy isn't a gun smith,i would check around.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:19 PM

I have ordered spring kits and trigger kits from the US shipped directly to me no problem as long as it is under a hundred dollars and is not a controlled item that has to be shipped to a FFL dealer.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 PM

I heard that TriggerTech might have a replacement assembly coming out some time this year.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I had a guy do two like you said,clipped a bit off and down to 2 .25 pounds and the guy isn't a gun smith,i would check around.

On older X-bolts you can get the trigger apart by removing some of the pins, but on the newest X-bolts, Browning has made the pins tamper proof. So I would check your trigger before proceeding. The pins on the tamper proof triggers, have what appear to be slotted heads on them, but these are in fact peen marks, to expand the end of the pins, so as not to be able to remove them. Too many issues with people taking them apart and causing damage to the triggers so Browning has started making them this way.

I only found that info out online after two hours of trying to get the trigger assembly on one of my X-bolts apart. I knew enough to know I was going to damage the assembly if I used any more force. While not a gun smith, I am a Machinist by trade so I know a little bit about fits and tolerances.

I’m going to try order up a couple of the M*CARBO Springs out of Florida tomorrow. I’ll let you guys know how I make out.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Watching this one for my X bolt 30-06. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Well, I put the order in for 4 X-bolt trigger spring kits. No doubt a big mark-up on MCarbo’s end at $12 for a 5 cent spring, but if it fixes the issue and lightens up the pull then it was a cheap fix. $13 shipping through the USPS so no brokerage fees. They have no issue shipping to Canada for the spring kits and do so regularly.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Smile

I am guessing that you still have to remove one pin at least to install the new lighter spring.my Xbolt is only a little over a year old and the pin punches out ok provided you poke it through the right way.i googled Ernie the gunsmith and there were instructions on pin removal etc.what is the trigger pull after the lighter spring is installed? might be handy to have an extra spring or two around for future Xbolt purchases
Old 01-10-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I am guessing that you still have to remove one pin at least to install the new lighter spring.my Xbolt is only a little over a year old and the pin punches out ok provided you poke it through the right way.i googled Ernie the gunsmith and there were instructions on pin removal etc.what is the trigger pull after the lighter spring is installed? might be handy to have an extra spring or two around for future Xbolt purchases
You don’t even need to remove the trigger assembly from the rifle. The only thing that comes out is the trigger spring set screw. Watch the video linked in the first post.

And the newest X-bolts are designed so the sear pin does not come out without wrecking the sear. That’s what I got from a nice guy in Quebec after calling the Browning Canada line. Browning did this because too many people who had no qualifications were trying to lighten the trigger pull and ended up damaging the trigger assembly.

Trigger pull is supposed to be 2 1/2 pounds at the lowest with some adjustment heavier if needed after the spring install.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Watched the video.pretty slick and easy install.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Banned

Uhhh?, it's a spring. We have those in Canada. Too funny.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Uhhh?, it's a spring. We have those in Canada. Too funny.
Yvan where do you recommend getting a trigger spring for a Browning X bolt?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Yvan where do you recommend getting a trigger spring for a Browning X bolt?
Many of the springs that I keep in inventory come from Wolff Springs. Others come from gunshow vendors. And in some cases, I've made a jig to turn springs on my lathe. Those come from spring stock that I've acquired as straight already annealed material from Brownel's. Of course, those are coil springs where wire diameter, number of coils and OD and ID is important. But, I also make V-springs such as those required in shotguns and revolvers. In making such springs, the annealing and tempering process can be a death trap. I've had many of my V springs shatter on me due to a treat heating process that went squirly. But, at days end, and after many attempts, I finally get it right....LOL.

Last edited by gitrdun; 01-10-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:56 PM

I talked to my nephew, he bought 4 X bolt trigger springs from M Carbo. It cost him $60.00 with shipping and it took about 2 weeks.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
I talked to my nephew, he bought 4 X bolt trigger springs from M Carbo. It cost him $60.00 with shipping and it took about 2 weeks.
$60.00 for a spring. Better get a dozen and sell them to Canucks. Awesome.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
$60.00 for a spring. Awesome.
This was for four rifles. So if I brought you 4 X bolt rifles you could supply and install the 4 springs for less money?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
This was for four rifles. So if I brought you 4 X bolt rifles you could supply and install the 4 springs for less money?
Not in a New York minute whatsoever.....Next?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Not in a New York minute whatsoever.....Next?
Exactly. So my nephew purchasing the springs from M Carbo seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly. So my nephew purchasing the springs from M Carbo seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me.
Sure.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM

If you have an older X-bolt then taking the trigger assembly apart and clipping the stock trigger spring a 1/4 coil at a time until you get the desired trigger pull is a good option.

That isn’t an option on the newer X-bolts so it is either the drop-in spring from MCarbo or a new Jared trigger assembly. An over priced spring at $12 US or a whole new assembly at $250 US.

I’ll try the spring first and 4 were shipped to me today.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 PM

I bought my Xbolt in late 2016 from WSS.i guess it must have been an 'older' model because i was able to remove the spring and shorten it.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I bought my Xbolt in late 2016 from WSS.i guess it must have been an 'older' model because i was able to remove the spring and shorten it.
Must be. I could get the trigger assembly removed from the rifle on my X-bolt with ease by driving the pins in the right direction, but there was no way the sear pin was going to be driven out from either side. It would move about .100 either way then come up solid.

I found info on other sites that said the newer X-bolt sear pin was designed to not come out without damaging the sear. My call to Browning Canada confirmed that. The ones that are designed to not come out have a very small slot in the that looks like it was made for a slot-head screwdriver.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:21 PM

Wishing i had known about the spring your suggesting.sounds like a much better option.the thing i wasn't keen about when trimming the spring instead of having a spring that's flat on both ends u have an odd shape where the coil has been clipped off.doesnt seat as nicely.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Wishing i had known about the spring your suggesting.sounds like a much better option.the thing i wasn't keen about when trimming the spring instead of having a spring that's flat on both ends u have an odd shape where the coil has been clipped off.doesnt seat as nicely.

You still have the option of changing out the spring at any time, but I’d leave it if the trigger pull is consistent and where you want it.