Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Didn’t ford pull the same stunt? Just a few years earlier? 6 billion in loans constitutes a bailout to me...
True but the difference being gm and Chrysler had to file for chapter 11 and took a vast majority of 80 billion in loans. Ford had already cut costs but didn’t want to compete against a government subsidized companies. They also paid back their loans where gm and Chrysler haven’t leading to the loss of some 10 billion in tax payer money which if my math is correct is almost twice as much as what ford borrowed. So yah not quite the same stunt as you say. Oh and the money borrowed was under a different program as well.

https://www.thebalance.com/auto-indu...rysler-3305670

Last edited by fordtruckin; 01-07-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Didn’t ford pull the same stunt? Just a few years earlier? 6 billion in loans constitutes a bailout to me...
Yes, if it wasn't for bailouts we probably wouldn't have the big 3 American automakers today. On the other hand if they let the first one that was going down die the other two might have survived on their own?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:45 AM

Thanks everyone for all the input...It's a super tough decision. Seems the majority are on the Tacoma side, mainly for reliability and resale, but the ZR2 is undeniably an off road beast.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 AM

Pay attention to the comment from the owner of this ZR2 Colorado @ 1:48...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t6JtmgUXh4
Old 01-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Wink $$$

Are you really going to use the crawl control, atrac, locking diff. and uprgraded suspension, or just get a trd not pro, updgrade yourself and save some cash, check out tacoma world to see what others have commented on, but the gizmos are nice, as Garth Brooks says ask me how I know
Old 01-07-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
Thanks everyone for all the input...It's a super tough decision. Seems the majority are on the Tacoma side, mainly for reliability and resale, but the ZR2 is undeniably an off road beast.
IMO, the ZR2 has not proven it's reliability off road yet. An off road beast to me means it will get me home. I'd go Tacoma.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
IMO, the ZR2 has not proven it's reliability off road yet. An off road beast to me means it will get me home. I'd go Tacoma.
If its not proven how do you know it won't get you home?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:07 PM

10aciousB, as you've said above, it would appear the Toyota is favored for its resale and reliability but the Chevy likely offers a superior ride, is more "modern", and gets better fuel economy. I'd pick your favorite on paper and then go for a test drive. Drive them both, pick a favorite from the test drive, and go from there. You might even want to throw in a F150 or 1500, something you're pretty sure you aren't interest in, just as a baseline or to ensure your initial thoughts are correct (depending on the configuration, these midsize trucks are very similar in size to a 1/2).

I'd likely go with the Chevy. Resale doesn't really concern me as I typically drive my vehicles for years. If after 10 years one is worth $15k and the other $10k, I'm not going to base my choice on $500/year for a $50,000ish vehicle and sacrifice ride quality, or some other feature, to get it. As far as reliability, both Toyota and Chevy are top ranked brands according to JD Power, Toyota being ranked higher, but I haven't heard of anyone driving a Chevy being stranded on the road in a long time. As far as reliability, my version of reliability is does the vehicle get you where you want to go. JD Power, and others though, gauge reliability very, very differently. According to their 2017 study, the top ten reliability issues were as follows:
-Battery failed,
-Wind noise;
-Road noise;
-Auto shifts rough;
-Auto hesitates;
-Voice recognition issues;
-Phone pairing problems;
-Material scuffs easily;
-Nav. inaccurate; and,
-Nav. system not user friendly.

That's the kind of things vehicles are getting judged for these days when it comes to reliability, my phone paired and the nav. system was easy to use. If you take care of it, I'd think the chances of the Toyota and Chevy leaving you stranded would be very, very similar.

That being said, unless your in hurry, I'd be waiting to see what the Ranger Raptor has to offer, as its specs. will likely trump the Chevy and Toyota in the majority of categories.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If its not proven how do you know it won't get you home?
You are right, I don't know if it would get me home due to it's short track record. Therefore I'd buy the Tacoma. Although I must admit, I do like the diesel configuration in the Colorado.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Although I must admit, I do like the diesel configuration in the Colorado.
I like the idea of it, although I must admit I'm a bit disappointed in the execution. I know its not a race car, but a 0-60 time of 9.4 sec. puts it within a second of the Smart Car, Spark, and Mirage crowd.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
but I haven't heard of anyone driving a Chevy being stranded on the road in a long time.
You must have missed the youtube link posted above...
Old 01-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are right, I don't know if it would get me home due to it's short track record. Therefore I'd buy the Tacoma. Although I must admit, I do like the diesel configuration in the Colorado.
The truck is new...but most of it's components are based on existing, proven hardware.

Last edited by bobtodrick; 01-08-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
You must have missed the youtube link posted above...
I meant personally heard off, not some link from the net.

I can find quite a few links of Toyota's failing as well, doesn't mean they generally aren't reliable though.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 AM

Toyota all they way. No vehicle will ever be perfect, but there are some better than others.
General consensus and my experience of Toyota (1st: FJ Cruiser, 2nd: '13 Taco SR5) would only take me to one choice.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
If you pick the Toyota, you never tried the Chevy. If your five ten and 150 pounds you will be some what comfortable. If you not, as I'm not, you will be cramped.
I am 6 feet and 180lbs and quite comfortable in my Taco.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM

Default Tacoma

I have a Tacoma! I am 6 FT 3 and 3/4. It's OK for me. A very dependable solid truck. My son has a Tundra, but he has a family, mine has left the nest long ago. I would go with the Tacoma, just for the higher resale, if you weren't happy with it.
One of my pals has a Tacoma with well over 250,000 kms. He's really happy with his, also.They just seem to go and go.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:20 AM

You can call me a fan boy, but Tacoma for me as well. As for the resale value, it won’t be a five thousand difference after ten years. I know a dude who sold his 2008 FJ Cruiser to buy the new 4Runner TRD Pro earlier this fall. The FJ had 125,000 miles (not km) on it. He got more than half of what he paid when he bought it new 10 years ago. Is it an exception? Maybe, but it is not that far of a stretch either. And man that 4Runner is a slick looking vehicle. I am jelly, lol.

Also, it’s a matter of taste, but that Chevy is pretty fugly looking to me.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
If you are looking for an off road beast neither one of these is the right choice. Go get a Jeep Rubicon in 2 or 4 door and configure it as a pickup. Neither the Taco nor the Chev will do off road what a stock Rubicon is capable of when it is fully optioned. I have owned 5 Landcruisers, 3 4Runners, wife is still driving a pristine 1992 4Runner, and a half dozen various Toyota Pickups from 1985s to present. For off road ability and available accessories the Jeeps are the top of the heap.

The Toyotas are hands down the most reliable 4x4s and have great resale value, but for hard core off road the Jeeps are better rigs.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I meant personally heard off, not some link from the net.

I can find quite a few links of Toyota's failing as well, doesn't mean they generally aren't reliable though.
Agreed. There are lots of videos on YT videos of Tacos quite literally folding in half due to their infamous frame rot issues. Honestly, IMO most vehicles are more or less par on the reliability front. Some may be slightly better or slightly worse than others, but they're all pretty well the same these days.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM

The last Toyota I had, a T100, was a capable enough truck but it had some issues as well. The head gasket went just after warranty ended with low Kms on it. 3.0L’s were notorious for that. Had a rear leaf break twice. I chalked that up to no weight in the back and washboard dirt roads slapping the springs together. Rust was a big issue with it and I had it painted twice. Finally the frame rotted through at the front hanger on the rear leaf spring on both sides which ended its life at 11 years. I had it from new. So, my one experience with a Toyota wasn’t any better than I would expect from any other manufacturer. My Dodge Powerwagon is now 13 years old and in far better shape with no real rust issues.

I have had a couple other Toyota’s but not long enough to form any real opinion of them.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
10aciousB, as you've said above, it would appear the Toyota is favored for its resale and reliability but the Chevy likely offers a superior ride, is more "modern", and gets better fuel economy. I'd pick your favorite on paper and then go for a test drive. Drive them both, pick a favorite from the test drive, and go from there. You might even want to throw in a F150 or 1500, something you're pretty sure you aren't interest in, just as a baseline or to ensure your initial thoughts are correct (depending on the configuration, these midsize trucks are very similar in size to a 1/2).

I'd likely go with the Chevy. Resale doesn't really concern me as I typically drive my vehicles for years. If after 10 years one is worth $15k and the other $10k, I'm not going to base my choice on $500/year for a $50,000ish vehicle and sacrifice ride quality, or some other feature, to get it. As far as reliability, both Toyota and Chevy are top ranked brands according to JD Power, Toyota being ranked higher, but I haven't heard of anyone driving a Chevy being stranded on the road in a long time. As far as reliability, my version of reliability is does the vehicle get you where you want to go. JD Power, and others though, gauge reliability very, very differently. According to their 2017 study, the top ten reliability issues were as follows:
-Battery failed,
-Wind noise;
-Road noise;
-Auto shifts rough;
-Auto hesitates;
-Voice recognition issues;
-Phone pairing problems;
-Material scuffs easily;
-Nav. inaccurate; and,
-Nav. system not user friendly.

That's the kind of things vehicles are getting judged for these days when it comes to reliability, my phone paired and the nav. system was easy to use. If you take care of it, I'd think the chances of the Toyota and Chevy leaving you stranded would be very, very similar.

That being said, unless your in hurry, I'd be waiting to see what the Ranger Raptor has to offer, as its specs. will likely trump the Chevy and Toyota in the majority of categories.
Thanks! Great points! I never realized things like "road noise" were considered reliability issues. Like you, I tend to drive my vehicles all the way to the crusher, so resale isn't a huge consideration, but it is nice in case circumstances change and I need to sell for whatever reason.

That Raptor Ranger looks amazing!! The only thing I'm concerned about is the little turbo motor in it. Maybe I'm old school, but turbo motors make me a little uneasy. Also Nissan is getting set to release an all new Fronty, and there are some rumours of offering it with the global Navara platform's diesel engine!!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
Are you really going to use the crawl control, atrac, locking diff. and uprgraded suspension, or just get a trd not pro, updgrade yourself and save some cash, check out tacoma world to see what others have commented on, but the gizmos are nice, as Garth Brooks says ask me how I know

Crawl control/atrac, and the locking rear diff are available on the plain trd off road, that is what I have. But the pro does offer the fox suspension vs my bilsteins. The rest is mostly bling, and a bit of uniqueness.

Have 30k on mine now, the more I drive it, the better it is Tranny is definitely learning my driving habits, and shifts better then when new.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Taco
have a 2006 w 180,000 mile
Old 01-20-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
OK so I'm wanting to get away from the 14yr old YouTuber fanboys and hoping to get some real opinions of real men and women who actually hunt, camp, and off-road. I'm looking at getting into a new truck as I'm in an SUV now, and a bed is better suited for my lifestyle. Full size trucks are out mainly due to size and daily liveability constraints. I've narrowed it down to the Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2 specifically, for their off-road capabilities. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. The ZR2 is ultimately the better off roader out of the box, but because of its DSSV dampers, it can't be lifted - or at least GM strongly advises against it. The TRD Pro has advantages in clearance/approach/breakover/departure, but they're so slight I consider it a wash. ZR2 offers spool valve dampers, 31"Duratracs, a front locker, diesel engine and rocker protection. The TRD Pro offers A-Trac, Crawl Control, resale, "reliability"?, and sexier sheet metal. As for price, again it's a wash - they both come in around the mid-50s (I know, right). Not looking to start any fights, just people's thoughts.
Daily livability constraints? Care to elaborate? You have space for a mid size but not a full size! The extra foot length is too much? If your 6.4 and 215 your Absolutely wasting your time with these two trucks. Get a full size, I’ve had the trucks mentioned btw
Old 01-20-2018, 05:47 PM

My 2 Cents on this, buy the tacoma just for resale and reliability. Also the colorado is not a true chevy, it is actually a rebadged isuzu truck available in austealia and south america.

With that being said, you can geta 2017 f150 or a nissan titan for around 46 k which is pretty much the same price as the taco.

You cannot use the back seat in these smaller trucks for kids, car seats or anything so make sure it works for your future life style (3 to 5 years at least).

Shop around and test drive them all.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Daily livability constraints? Care to elaborate? You have space for a mid size but not a full size! The extra foot length is too much? If your 6.4 and 215 your Absolutely wasting your time with these two trucks. Get a full size, I’ve had the trucks mentioned btw
Right now I drive an XTerra Pro4X, which is a pretty good analog for interior space, and I fit just fine in it. It's a cinch to drive and park in the City, and I can get to my favorite off-grid camp sites and trails that a full size truck wouldn't dream of going without incurring some significant body damage. My better half has the responsible family vehicle, but the girls haven't complained about my X either. I don't need to tow or haul, and I like the fact that I can park in front of my house, and not down the street by the mailboxes (new communities these days). I simply have no need or use for a full size. I'd be perfectly happy keeping my X, but the only thing is I could use a bed.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:19 AM

What’s there price on a Tacoma TRD pro in AB if you can find one?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:22 AM

Get the Taco and enjoy. I have an SR5. V6, double cab with the 6 foot bed.
I have had mine for almost five years and couldn't be happier with it. Could I use a full size 5% of the time? You bet, but the rest of the time I don't need it and my Taco does very well.
I tow a 3000 lbs camping trailer with my full size quad in the bed. Works great and has power to do this without any issues.
Lots of people are spewing some BS on here....the back seats are fine, I regularly have some one over 6 feet sitting back there and it's fine, a car seat fits there too, mine is in the center. Too many people think they need a full size, but in reality many don't.

This truck has never let me down and the only maintenance on it has been the regular stuff like fluid changes and tires. I haven't had to get any repairs done.
I wouldn't touch any domestic truck with a 20 foot pole.
Just watch the general section on here and it's almost weekly that someone comes on here with an issue about their truck, which is usually a ford, gm, or dodge

I heard a pretty good saying once, think it was on an older episode of top gear. Anything will get you there, but a toyota will bring you back.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What’s there price on a Tacoma TRD pro in AB if you can find one?
Mid 50s, but they are a limited production truck. You likely won't find one on any lot. You basically have to pay a deposit, go on a list, and wait for the phone to ring. The TRD Pro is a TRD Off road with: 1" extra ground clearance, Fox remote reservoir shocks (rear only), beefier skids, better tires (albeit still street biased), TRD rims, unique grille, Rigid fog lamps and special paint. The TRD Off Road is roughly $45. If anything, that's the most likely route I'll go, and just build my own Pro from there.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Mid 50s, but they are a limited production truck. You likely won't find one on any lot. You basically have to pay a deposit, go on a list, and wait for the phone to ring. The TRD Pro is a TRD Off road with: 1" extra ground clearance, Fox remote reservoir shocks (rear only), beefier skids, better tires (albeit still street biased), TRD rims, unique grille, Rigid fog lamps and special paint. The TRD Off Road is roughly $45. If anything, that's the most likely route I'll go, and just build my own Pro from there.
That’s interesting. What about a tundra pro?