Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Avoiding trapper's lines in winter

Hi all,

I know nothing of trapping. How do I ensure I don't walk my dog into a trapper's trap? Where can I see maps online of registered lines? I live near, and want to take my dog into the woods in zone 5, wmu 412.

Thanks for the help,

Jason
Old 12-30-2017, 04:56 PM

all crown land is divided into trapline . 100%. keep your dog on a leash and you should be fine. enjoy.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:57 PM

Default When I asked the same question

The best advice I got was to carry a very good pair of wire cutters. The kind that the trappers suggested was out of stock so I bought a pair that would easily cut snare wire in the hardware store and I still carry them. As was pointed out, you can't be sure that there aren't old snares that have been forgotten or freelance trappers out there.

Be careful and have a way to release your dog in a flash.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:21 PM

there are 2 traplines that fully enclose wmu 412
RFMA 1996 and northern half of RFMA 295

carry wire cutters or better yet, befriend the trapper and find out where they are snaring and stay away

on our line we tell everyone we meet the area our snares are so they don't take a powersnare to the quad/sled/dog/legs etc

we also put signs on our line up warning of power snares, but there is no legal requirement for the trapper to mark any snares or power snares and a dog will be dead in a matter of seconds if they hit a power snare

IMO, if you take dogs unleashed into an obviously active trapline without any information about what the trapper is doing you do so at your own risk, keeping in mind, it is illegal if you (or your dog) touches an active trappers trap

Last edited by D4l3k; 12-30-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. How would I find out who owns those trap lines? Would F&W tell me?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Under privacy act I don't think so . They may relay a message for you.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:24 AM

If you want the name of the rmfa holder you can contact GOV AB environment office in Edmonton after some running around and phone transfers you can request the holders name but that is all they will release. So that trapper may not even live in the area. He may not be in the phone book (Does anyone use a phone book anymore?) Hmm

If there is a certain area you are going look for signs of a trapper. If your on a well used trail and a skidoo stops and foot prints walks to the edge of the Bush every mile or so trapper. If there is an obvious fence made with sticks right across a trail probably a trapper. Flag tape marking trails. Probably a trapper. If you get smells of a skunk or there is animal carcasses or blood in the snow probably a trapper.
Get Marty Senneker or halfords to ship you some good cutters. Keep your dog on a leash. Dont use long piece of rope where he's pretty much running anywhere he wants. Traplines are similar to logging allocations and oilfield activity in the crown land. You have a right to be on crown as do they but I wouldn't be walking into the middle of a logging operation so if you suspect signs of a trapper it's probably best to look for another trail.
Bill
Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Under privacy act I don't think so . They may relay a message for you.
If you leave your info with F&W They will pass it on to the trapper via preferred method of contact . No guarantee the trapper will reply.
Leash is Safer. But also carry good cutters and a piece of rope. YouTube videos of how to set a trap using the rope method are helpful. Easy to Carry and can get your dog out of a body gripping trap
Having owned dogs in the past and being a trapper I suggest leash unless you are outside of the trapping season or somewhere on private land.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
If you leave your info with F&W They will pass it on to the trapper via preferred method of contact . No guarantee the trapper will reply.
Leash is Safer. But also carry good cutters and a piece of rope. YouTube videos of how to set a trap using the rope method are helpful. Easy to Carry and can get your dog out of a body gripping trap
Having owned dogs in the past and being a trapper I suggest leash unless you are outside of the trapping season or somewhere on private land.
Having seen two dogs killed in snares on public land and knowing of several others on private land some clarification is in order.

The senior and junior partners names of all registered traplines are public knowledge and are available at district F&W offices. Contact information is not. You just have to specify the area.

Trappers can set snares and conibear type killing devices anywhere they have the right of access without posting warning signs or notifying anyone. For example they can set a large conibear just off the property line of an acreage [literally within feet of an occupied dwelling] or adjacent to a recreation area. Supposedly with no liability, which I don't believe.

This is strange considering the laws regarding the setting of wolf and bear baits which go a long ways towards safety.

Never being able to have my dog off leash from Oct 1 to Mar 31 on crown land is unreasonable and unacceptable too me. The government should be more responsible in managing trappers and the devices they use.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakery 70 View Post
Having seen two dogs killed in snares on public land and knowing of several others on private land some clarification is in order.

The senior and junior partners names of all registered traplines are public knowledge and are available at district F&W offices. Contact information is not. You just have to specify the area.

Trappers can set snares and conibear type killing devices anywhere they have the right of access without posting warning signs or notifying anyone. For example they can set a large conibear just off the property line of an acreage [literally within feet of an occupied dwelling] or adjacent to a recreation area. Supposedly with no liability, which I don't believe.

This is strange considering the laws regarding the setting of wolf and bear baits which go a long ways towards safety.

Never being able to have my dog off leash from Oct 1 to Mar 31 on crown land is unreasonable and unacceptable too me. The government should be more responsible in managing trappers and the devices they use.
Your good example of a dog owner that won't take responsibly of their dogs when there on crown land. You think trapper rights should ignored so your pet can run around unleashed chasing wildlife around needlessly. Got news for you.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Your good example of a dog owner that won't take responsibly of their dogs when there on crown land. You think trapper rights should ignored so your pet can run around unleashed chasing wildlife around needlessly. Got news for you.
Your opinion and a lot of people would disagree with you. Plus, the way you present your “news” kind of sucks.

Since when did letting your dog off a leash on crown land to flush the odd bird while walking an old road become something that should be looked down upon? Isn’t that what bird hunters do? Both trapping and bird season overlap up here.

I would agree with what others said though that packing side cutters is a good idea just in case mans best friend ends up with its head in a snare. Although unlikely, Shat sometimes happens so best be prepared. But a guy letting his dog out for a run has as much right to do so as a trapper working his line.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
No one is ignoring any trapping privileges. And yes my pet can run loose chasing wildlife on crown land. End of story!

My pup ran wild through a trapline, past the trappers cabin, past his sets and kept on truckin. The trapper wasn't concerned about a dog running loose on his line.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=Zakery 70;3699979]Having seen two dogs killed in snares on public land and knowing of several others on private land some clarification is in order.

The senior and junior partners names of all registered traplines are public knowledge and are available at district F&W offices. Contact information is not.

And just what would be the purpose of contacting the owner of the line?
Finding out exactly where the snares are?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Battle Rat;3700257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakery 70 View Post

The senior and junior partners names of all registered traplines are public knowledge and are available at district F&W offices. Contact information is not.

And just what would be the purpose of contacting the owner of the line?
Finding out exactly where the snares are?
Maybe to find out if there are even snares set on the line? Maybe to find out "generally" where they are set or if the trapper is willing, specifically?

If the trapper has a problem he can keep his secret.....and possibly face the consequences!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:17 PM

[QUOTE=Zakery 70;3700266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Maybe to find out if there are even snares set on the line? Maybe to find out "generally" where they are set or if the trapper is willing, specifically?

If the trapper has a problem he can keep his secret.....and possibly face the consequences!
What consequences?
The trapper is not required to divulge anything.
The best thing any trapper should do is say " yes this is an active trap line and discretion should be used for any pets that are not in direct control of their owner.
Any other info would just be opening themselves up to problems with antis or other trouble makers.
It has a ready been stated the you could encounter legal trapping on all crown land in Alberta.
If you can grasp that concept then you should be able to understand that it is your responsibility to keep your dog safe not anyone else's.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
No one is ignoring any trapping privileges. And yes my pet can run loose chasing wildlife on crown land. End of story!

My pup ran wild through a trapline, past the trappers cabin, past his sets and kept on truckin. The trapper wasn't concerned about a dog running loose on his line.
Chasing wildlife.....harassing wildlife....unless your legally hunting game then ok but putting the run in a deer....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

There is a million miles of crown land without trappers attempting to make a living so if you know of a trapper running a line just take the pup elsewhere to enjoy a nice walk off leash or even do a little bird hunting etc, real easy to all get along and enjoy the outdoors.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Default I think the question has been answered.

Thanks to all. Lets move on.